Soundbar? 2.1??

himeshj

Hi guys,

Total audio virgin looking for advice so please be as patient and detailed as possible.

Facts of the case:
  • Looking for a solution to improve my TV's sound quality (LG 55LA6910). Dialogue clarity is more important than surround sound.
  • Will also use for listening to music online as well as from CD's, thumb drives etc. as I do not have a stereo system currently. Using a basic LG DVD player as source currently.
  • My living room setup does not allow me to consider a 5.1 system so that's out.
  • Budget is around 50K or CHF 750. (Swiss Franks since I live in Switzerland currently)

Happened across Samsung soundbar HW H-750 (HW-H750 Wireless Multiroom Soundbar (built-in Valve Amplifier) - Samsung UK) and it sounds like a decent solution.

1. Sounds good to my non-audiophile ears.
  2. Looks good too
  3. Vacuum tubes, don't know what that means but sounds and looks good :lol:
  4. Wireless subwoofer
  5. All kinds of connectivity - bluetooth, nfc, hdmi... May be able to pair my TV thru bluetooth (not sure as the websites only talk about samsung tv's connecting with bluetooth).
  6. Well within budget - CHF 390 i.e. Rs. 25000.https://www.digitec.ch/de/s1/product/samsung-hw-h750-soundbar-mit-subwoofer-310w-bluetooth-nfc-soundbar-soundplate-2484430
  7. Not too high so wouldn't block my TV (I'm running out of likes now :))
  8. Good reviews, more or less
http://www.trustedreviews.com/samsung-hw-h750-review
http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/h750-201408223888.htm
Samsung HW-H750 review | Expert Reviews
https://www.avforums.com/review/samsung-hw-h750-h751-soundbar-package-review.10412

Cons
  1. Quick online research shows some users not too happy with low volume sound quality, treble etc.
  2. Some comments on high price but it seems to have dropped considerably since the launch so not so much a factor currently
  3. General lack of enthusiasm about Samsung brand and how they are not known for audio performance. Most (including this forum) advise to go for brands like Yamaha, Sonos, Polk...

So my questions are:
  1. Anyone here using Samsung HW-H750/751/F750? Happy? Any moans?
  2. Any other options I should consider? I can go upto twice this price if I like the solution.
  3. Thoughts on Yamaha YSP 1400? Winner of the following shootout while Samsung is a distant 5th :sad:
    Sound Bar Review 2014 | Best Speaker Bar | Sound Bar Systems - TopTenREVIEWS
  4. Should I consider a 2.1 system at all? One limitation is that I can not use bookshelf speakers due to the design of my console but can consider floorstanders. Any recommendations at my price point? Bluetooth connectivity is highly desirable.
Am eagerly waiting for responses so go for it, Gurus :)

Cheers and a Happy Boxing Day!

Have used many sound bars and am also still using one. Having used sound bar extensively, these are my view:

1. They are a compromise and do not expect real 5.1 effect in it
2. Your rooms shape has a good impact of the surround effect. If its odd shaped or L shaped, forget any surround effect
3. The subs that come with the sound bars are often boomy until and unless you really goto the premium segment

The 1400 is a decent soundbar, but having used multiple ones significantly and also having 2 at home, I prefer an Receiver with 2 Speakers any day than these fancy soundbars. I infact use my stereo receiver and Axiom speakers more than the soundbar as the clarity and accuracy of the sound is way better than the soundbar.

One soundbar that intrigued me but did not get a chance to test is Philips HTL 9100. It has detachable surround battery powered speaker which you can place behind when you are watching a 5.1 sound content. This sounds logical. May be this can be checked:

http://www.snapdeal.com/product/phil...dbar/767582511

Philips HTL9100 review | Soundbars | What Hi-Fi?

50k is a decent budget, if you can later go for 5.1 buy an AVR now and then two floorstanders (even used) and later add other speaker. But if you wont go 5.1 at all get a good stereo amp and speakers. Get your DVDp, set top box etc connected to it, trust me you will be way better off than these bars. Plus, later add a good DAC, they will sound magical with music!

You can get a good 2 channel new amp and bookshelf for that budget. You can check sites like hifivision for combinations.

here is a sample and you can get check price with the showrooms :
Floorstanding

Integrated Amplifiers : Marantz PM 5005 Integrated Amplifier

Adding to @madbullram's inputs....

You can do a 2.0 set-up.... AVR + FS ... For AVR, consider the ones with Audyssey Digital room correction feature from Denon/Marantz and for the below reasons...

1) With AVR, you get the benefit of HDMI ARC functionality between your TV & AVR.. So juz one HDMI cable between AVR and TV... Also with AVR remote, you can control basic features of TV with HDMI-CEC functionality..

2) You get standby feature in AVR.. This will allow you to put your AVR in standby & use your TV incase you have power outage (or) when you feel AVR is not reqd....

3) Will allow you to connect more components to your AVR (Bluray/Media Player/DVD player with HDMI output/PC)...

4) You can perform a 2.0 with automatic room calibration (pretty straight forward & easy too), and the rest will be taken care by AVR.... Dynamic EQ & Vol feature will help you with clear dialogues.....

Gentlemen,

Thanks for your very informative posts. I do realize the advantages of a Stereo system but as I said one of my must-haves is Bluetooth. What's the easiest way to connect to Bluetooth And listen to digital music with a 2.0 system?

And I'm more confused than ever now. Will have to go into details of which amp and which speakers etc etc. should I decide to go this way...

Look forward to more feedback on soundbars.

Apart from wi-fi and bluetooth, you can play digital content from your mobile/tablet on your AVR thru network.... All you need is Ethernet port in your AVR...

For instance, my AVR doesn't have wi-fi (or) bluetooth feature, but has Ethernet port...

If you can get your AVR hard-wired with ethernet port avail in it,download the AVR application on your mobile, then playback of digital files is very easy from mobile (or) tablet provided both are connected to same network...

My wife when busy in kitchen, prefers to play music on AVR from her mobile... Itz that simple....

Making woman getting used to technology is very difficult, but when they start to use it, thatz the real award for the technology :eek:hyeah:

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back