Source angst : (Good CD Player + Budget BDP) vs (Decent BDP) for Rs. 35,000

nomdeplume

Hi Folks

I've been agonizing about my Source situation for the last 3 weeks. Please chime in with your views and help erase the conflict in my mind.

My setup would consist of a Pioneer Elite Receiver (VSX 21 THX), Dali Ikon 2 speakers, Dali Ikon Sub, with a Dali Vokal center and some surrounds to be added later.
The room is 11x18 ft. Music is important for me, Movies for the wife / kids.
The room would be ready in 2-3 weeks' time, and only then would my kit be opened & installed.

Like to listen to Hindustani & Western classical, Jazz, (some) Rock. Kids love hip-hop (can't stand it personally!)...
I do have a few SACD / DVD-A that i picked up in Sales abroad. But the bulk of my music resides in mp3's / CD's / CD's ripped into WMA/ FLAC files.

Currently, I have a Philips DVD player that also does sporadic duty as a CDP.

Now, if I had only Rs. 30-35 k to spend on my source components, which of the following routes would you recommend for me:

Option I :
Get myself a CD 5004/ 6004 or equivalent from NAD (don't know the model #) for Rs. 20-30000. The group buys on Marantz look enticing.
Pair it with a budget BDP (< Rs 9000) and live happily ever after.

Option II:
Get a Denon / Marantz / NAD Universal player (don't know the #) for about Rs. 29000 (list price). It should be able to play BDP, DVD, DVD-A, SACD etc. and technically give me a one-box solution

The Conundrum:
1. My usage of a disc player is quite low. It might increase with the installation of the system, but if I have TWO disc players, they might get prone to dust damage and jamming.
is there any way to minimize the ill-effects of not using a disc player for a while?

2. Would the Universal players from Denon / Marantz / NAD be more finicky while playing CD-R's containing mp3's / FLAC files ?
One of the reasons I like Philips DVD players is that they seamlessly play all types of movies / audio discs that I throw at 'em.
I couldn't get a few dealers to play my discs when I recently went for speakers demo - admittedly they had some seriously good CDPs for the demo, but still, this is a problem I'd rather not have.

3. Most important : Sound quality

Would a Universal player (especially some of the entry models from the premium brands) deliver less impressive sound than a dedicated CDP?

I'm getting advice that is split down the middle w.r.t. the last question.

4. Is there an Option III ? Can I kit out a Universal player with a better DAC and get better audio results within my budget?

Do let me know your views; also do let me know any other models of CDP / Universal player that you may have experienced & can recommend.

I would surely update the board with my own impressions, and final decision.

Cheers,

Nomdeplume

PS: Mod, can I cross-post this in the CDP Forum as well?

Option II:
Get a Denon / Marantz / NAD Universal player (don't know the #) for about Rs. 29000 (list price). It should be able to play BDP, DVD, DVD-A, SACD etc. and technically give me a one-box solution

Does NAD and Marantz make BDPs as well for 35k?
Can you look for the model numbers and post here?

Order an Oppo BDP95 priced at $1000 + Shipping + duties. Put the Philips DVD to another use / sell it / donate it. If not, you can definitely afford the Oppo BDP 93 ($500++)... still better than all the above options if DVD-A, DVD, BD, SACD playback is all required.

i prefer option 1.

I am living Option 1 at the moment. Mostly the music usage will increase while the movies usage might tend to fade. My folks prefer watching movies in a more social setting like a theater.. although the initial excitement of the home theater will be there. The BDP / DVDP can take care of that.

If you are not too much into Blu ray's and stuff ( since they are costly ).. simply go for a good CDP + stick to your DVDP for the video duties ( + mp3's )

regards,
mpw

I am living Option 1 at the moment. Mostly the music usage will increase while the movies usage might tend to fade.

Hey Mpw

This is something I can identify with.
How often do you listen to CD's now? Everyday?
What about movies? Doesn't the DVD/ BDP jam after a few months?

I stay in a street-facing ground floor apptt in Delhi. It sure is hell to clean all my equipment every weekend. Any tips to keep both your players in good shape?

nomdeplume

Get a good DAC and use your present players (sacd/dvd-a and dvd player) as transports.

Get an inexpensive BDP if you really have to for your family.

Get a good DAC and use your present players (sacd/dvd-a and dvd player) as transports.

+1. Since most of your music is in the form of FLAC/WAV/MP3 (on hard disc of a Comp I guess) it doesn't make sense to buy a CDP. Split your budget in getting mid level DAC like RDAC/MF & get a mid level BDP which would be an ideal match for the rest of your setup; you and your family can both enjoy.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back