Spare relay for Denon PMA898

PuppyDaddy

Hi all, I have a Denon PMA 898 amplifier which requires a relay replacement - 6 nos required. Any suggestions of where I could source these from? The current service representative has been unable to find them. Feeling really terrible that my amp is facing eol…

These guys, robu.in deal with a lot of electronics components. Check with them if they can help you with your Relay.

Hi all, I have a Denon PMA 898 amplifier which requires a relay replacement - 6 nos required. Any suggestions of where I could source these from? The current service representative has been unable to find them. Feeling really terrible that my amp is facing eol…
Just curious, why would you require 6 relays? Where in the amplifier are these from? If these are speaker relays you'd probably require one or two at the most. My best guess is that these are from the input selector switching. Why would the input selector relays need replacing, these almost never give trouble? Lots of questions come to mind reading your post. If you can share some info, we can help.

Note: Techs will always say 'not available' when it comes to relays. A relay is nothing but a simple electromagnetic switch. If one knows what type of relay is used and its specs, one can easily adapt other relays as substitutes. For example, when repairing amplifiers like the NAD C320 which has a single, rather poor quality OEM speaker relay, I usually go for two separate high quality relays, one for each channel as a substitute. Works perfectly :). No amplifier was every discarded because a relay is not available :)

Just curious, why would you require 6 relays? Where in the amplifier are these from? If these are speaker relays you'd probably require one or two at the most. My best guess is that these are from the input selector switching. Why would the input selector relays need replacing, these almost never give trouble? Lots of questions come to mind reading your post. If you can share some info, we can help.

Note: Techs will always say 'not available' when it comes to relays. A relay is nothing but a simple electromagnetic switch. If one knows what type of relay is used and its specs, one can easily adapt other relays as substitutes. For example, when repairing amplifiers like the NAD C320 which has a single, rather poor quality OEM speaker relay, I usually go for two separate high quality relays, one for each channel as a substitute. Works perfectly :). No amplifier was every discarded because a relay is not available :)
Thanks a lot, this is very helpful. Tbh, I don’t know enough about the repair process to be able to answer your questions, been taking the service techs inputs at face value.

I have had this amp for about 15 years now. Last two years it has been sitting gathering dust because it stopped working after I shifted houses. I had another Arcam integrated amp which was my primary so I just put off repair till later. I dropped off the amp at the local Denon service center and got an update that repair was not possible because the relays were not available since the amp is pretty old now.

I will visit the service center this week to find out more specifics to share here. Will find the voltage, pole, throw and take a photo as mentioned above . Could you help me with any other specific questions I should ask?

So I found out that the amplifier has an array of 4 relays internally which need to be replaced. As you guessed, the relays are for the input selection.

Relay 2021-08-10 11.49.42 AM.jpeg
After hunting around a bit for the part RA12W-K, I found a datasheet. Though it's branded as Fujitsu not Takamisawa it looks like the same part, only made in China: https://datasheet.octopart.com/RA-12W-K-Fujitsu-datasheet-6011.pdf

Additionally, I also learned that there's an IC which needs to be replaced which goes in the front panel for selecting the input source.

IC 2021-08-10 11.49.42 AM.jpeg

I have been able to find both of these parts on AliExpress for approx $20-$30 but the shipping costs are pretty high (almost 5-10k for shipping alone) and more importantly I'm not 100% certain of delivery from China.

The service techs insist that it's an old amp, >15 years so not very beneficial to repair it and I should just upgrade. But I know it's been sparingly used and feel bad just relegating it to the recycling heap. Any leads on sourcing the parts/alternates would be really helpful! Thanks in advance to all the wonderful FMs who are helping me learn along with these repairs.

So I found out that the amplifier has an array of 4 relays internally which need to be replaced. As you guessed, the relays are for the input selection.

View attachment 60897
After hunting around a bit for the part RA12W-K, I found a datasheet. Though it's branded as Fujitsu not Takamisawa it looks like the same part, only made in China: https://datasheet.octopart.com/RA-12W-K-Fujitsu-datasheet-6011.pdf

Additionally, I also learned that there's an IC which needs to be replaced which goes in the front panel for selecting the input source.

View attachment 60898

I have been able to find both of these parts on AliExpress for approx $20-$30 but the shipping costs are pretty high (almost 5-10k for shipping alone) and more importantly I'm not 100% certain of delivery from China.

The service techs insist that it's an old amp, >15 years so not very beneficial to repair it and I should just upgrade. But I know it's been sparingly used and feel bad just relegating it to the recycling heap. Any leads on sourcing the parts/alternates would be really helpful! Thanks in advance to all the wonderful FMs who are helping me learn along with these repairs.

get the relay from this link as u r locky as this seller ships to india

reg the denon ic i will enquire as per my knowledge its difficult to source

Thanks a lot for the recommendations! The relays from eBay have arrived and the IC from AE is on its way to S’pore. Fingers crossed it shows up soon.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back