speaker audition - hyderabad

deride

Hi Guys,

I am setting up a yamaha rx-v863. I want to set this up in a 12*12 room and will use it mostly for movies (75% movies and 25% music) and also for regular TV viewing. I am looking for a good set of speakers and would like to make them future proof. I have some speakers from my panasonic mini hifi/htib which i hope to re-use. My initial budget is 30-40K and my preference is to go with Floorstanders and am planning a modular build to keep myself in budget. My plan is to get the 2 fronts and the center first and add the SW and surrounds later (i hope to use my existing panasonic surround speakers for the interim). I plan to upgrade to 5.1 over the next 3-4 months and to 7.1 over the next year or when bluerays pick up in India. Experts please advice..

Where can I find dealers for speakers in hyderabad? I visited pro-Fx in somajiguda but they only had polk and KEF and their set ups only consist of Denon receivers. I would like to audition other brands like wharfedales or missions with yamaha receivers. Any suggestions?

Last edited:
While I am awaiting inputs, I will post inputs on the places I have visited: btw, I am getting an RX-V863

ProFX, Somajiguda : Only carries KEF, Polk and Focus speakers. Also they only carry denon receivers, hence auditioning with other receivers is out of question. Customer service was ok. The owner/sales guy was not too involving and didn't seem keen to understand my set or suggestions etc and was ignorant of other receivers.

Vector Systems, Nagarjuna circle: good place, but again carry denon amps primarily. Speakers available are Wharfedales, B&W and Dali. B&W and Dali were more than 50K per pair.

Croma, Jubilee hills : don't have speakers that they sell separately. They HTIB solutions, i saw a yammie 363 with yamaha speakers.

Will add and refine this later

Last edited:
Interesting efforts Deride , I'm new to Hyd and have visited the 2 showrooms you've mentioned too. Shekar is the owner of that Profx in somajiguda , he does seem very laid back but i found him easy to haggle with.just do your homework, splash around a few prices here and there and he'll come down to
"I'll try to match what your saying if your ready to buy" .The owner was not present in Vector ,but the salesboy was quite informative and pleasant.On the whole i feel with 2 decent showrooms , your bargaining power should have doubled :yahoo:

Secondly i feel you should not restrict yourself to the 863 ( I'm playing the see-saw between the Denon 1709 and Yam 663 depending on which bookshelves + sub i settle for ).

My personal opinion would be to settle for " speaker+amp " choices and not on an individual basis.

Happy hunting :)

Thanks Scarface. I already got the 863 from the US. Now I need to set it up with the step down transformer. I am actually looking at some input on this setup.
In the meantime, i am scouting for speakers. The speakers from my panasonic htib, have 2 separate inputs (2 + 2 wires in total) for the 2 front speakers. one set for low impedance and the other for high impedance. This has me stumped :(. I thought I could use these for a while, but I guess that might not be the case unless I figure this out.
Anyways, my plan is to find a good 5.1 speaker deal or to get each set at a time. I have a budget of about 50-60K.

Interesting efforts Deride , I'm new to Hyd and have visited the 2 showrooms you've mentioned too. Shekar is the owner of that Profx in somajiguda , he does seem very laid back but i found him easy to haggle with.just do your homework, splash around a few prices here and there and he'll come down to
"I'll try to match what your saying if your ready to buy" .The owner was not present in Vector ,but the salesboy was quite informative and pleasant.On the whole i feel with 2 decent showrooms , your bargaining power should have doubled :yahoo:

Secondly i feel you should not restrict yourself to the 863 ( I'm playing the see-saw between the Denon 1709 and Yam 663 depending on which bookshelves + sub i settle for ).

My personal opinion would be to settle for " speaker+amp " choices and not on an individual basis.

Happy hunting :)

ProFx Hyderabad, Bangalore, Chennai, Coimbatore, Kolkata, Mumbai & New Delhi are owned by Advanced Audio Solutions (ProFx), subsidiary of BPL companies, bangalore...

The store is completely operated by the ProFx employees only...

But yes, the building or the premises maybe of different owners..

The speakers from my panasonic htib, have 2 separate inputs (2 + 2 wires in total) for the 2 front speakers. one set for low impedance and the other for high impedance. This has me stumped :(
This is good for you, means that you will be able to drive these HTIB speakers with most of the AVRs (impedance 6 to 12...16 ohms). Check the manuals of your AVR and HTIB, and connect to the speaker posts based on your AVR's impedance.

skumar, do you mean that I can drive the speakers by only connection one set (high or low) to the receiver? Currently both of them connect to different outputs on my HTIB.
Inputs would be appreciated.

Another store I visited: Reliance Digital, Banjara hills
I found that they have Jamo S606 for about 39500 without the sub. (jamo sub costs an additiona 12500)
Energy Take Classic (5.1) for 29250
Mirage NanoSat 5.1 for 47500
Jamo S406 for roughly 15K (dont remember the exact price)
and the Mirage Omni 550 - 1 lac approx for full 5.1 set (40K for towers + 14K for centre + 20K for sub + 25K for surround)

I really liked the Mirage Nanosat. they sounded pretty good in the initial audition. The Jamo S606 was good as well.. however, I need to try and have a better audition..
Jamo's (S606) look good and seem to be good VFM, but I have seen some negative remarks from other folks on the forum. Being very new and this, I should probably decide on the set by combining the feedback from the experts along with my personal preference.

I want to set this up in a 12*12 room and will use it mostly for movies (80% movies and 20% music).. Experts please advice..

got this list of dealers/distributors in hyderabad from a post by Gopi. Thanks to him:

"The ones primarily I know of are
Sound and Vision , Begumpet - Monitor audio, NAD, PSB, Marantz, Quad, Yamaha, Definitive Technology, Roksan and many more
USK, Somajiguda - Denon, Polk Audio, KEF
Vector Systems, Panjagutta - Wharfedale, Denon, Dali, B&W
Soundroom, Banjara Hills - many
Cinebels, Banjara Hills - Jamo, Sherwood, Yamaha
JBL Showroom. Prasads Multiplex - JBL, Harman Kardon, Infinity
Bose Showroom, Somajiguda
There are obvioulsy E-zone, Reliance Digital etc kinda big electronic chains on top of these
Check for the phone numbers of these in Just Dial - India's No.1 local search engine"

I visited a croma store at punjagutta today. They had a set of DSE Speakers (AE2922 FS and AE2924 surrounds) for 20K. I had never heard of DSE so did not want to audition them until i found something on the net. As I suspected, DSE is a cheap australian electronics manufacturer.

Also, dropped by Cinebels in Banjara Hills who deal with Jamo speakers along with Sherwood and Marantz amps. Again, I could not audition as there was no power. The prices I was quoted were:
S606 (5.0) - 45K
C405 (5.0) - 68K
C407 (5.0)

C607 - 130K
C

They also had a last piece of an E750 whose MRP is 130K but was willing to part with it for 80K. I was told that these were award winners but have been discontinued. Has anyone heard these? How are the C405's?

Energy Take Classic (5.1) for 29250
Mirage NanoSat 5.1 for 47500
Jamo S406 for roughly 15K (dont remember the exact price)
and the Mirage Omni 550 - 1 lac approx for full 5.1 set (40K for towers + 14K for centre + 20K for sub + 25K for surround)
Experts please advice..

Instead of the Energy Take 5, a better option is the Q-Acoustics 1010i. This is a set of 4 bookshelves, a centre and a sub for about 50,000. The Take 5 (though it is good) is a satellite speaker, and the QAs, being regular book shelves, will deliver better sound stage and deeper bass.

Frankly I am not fond of Jamo, though there are a number of people here in the forum who like it. But as I have mentioned elsewhere, my auditioning of the Jamos may have been jinxed. :)

The Mirage's are excellent speakers, though, for some strange reason, they are not very popular.

All told, I think you should look at this slightly differently. The 863 delivers music quite well in spite of being an AVR. So you should plan around a pair of large and musical fronts, either bookshelves or floor standers. Since you are ready to build your 5.1 over a period of 3 to 6 months. first look for a pair of good musical fronts, and build around that. Look for speakers from PSB, Wharfedale, Mission, Mordaunt Short and similar companies.

This way you will be able to enjoy movies and music from the same system.

Cheers

Last edited:
I visited a croma store at punjagutta today. They had a set of DSE Speakers (AE2922 FS and AE2924 surrounds) for 20K. I had never heard of DSE so did not want to audition them until i found something on the net. As I suspected, DSE is a cheap australian electronics manufacturer.

Also, dropped by Cinebels in Banjara Hills who deal with Jamo speakers along with Sherwood and Marantz amps. Again, I could not audition as there was no power. The prices I was quoted were:
S606 (5.0) - 45K
C405 (5.0) - 68K
C407 (5.0)

C607 - 130K
C

They also had a last piece of an E750 whose MRP is 130K but was willing to part with it for 80K. I was told that these were award winners but have been discontinued. Has anyone heard these? How are the C405's?

The E750 is a brilliant speaker - much better than current Jamo crap. You can try bargaining the price down even further. Even at the current price, its not bad at all.

I agree with Venkat here - I'm not very appreciative of the current Jamo range.

Hi Deride,
Did you check out the Mission M35? (25k approx). Supradeep has got one recently, You can ask him for comments.

The jamo c-405 are good musical speakers for 30k, anything more than that, there are better options. You can look at C407 also if your budget allows (~40k).

The S series of jamo are not good for music from the reviews I read. They are optimised for movies. I did not audition them. The C series are also rated more than S for their tight bass as opposed to booming bass of S.

Ofcourse there are a lot of generalisations here, Individual speakers from a particular series can sound good or bad for the money.

Thanks,

The Mirage's are excellent speakers, though, for some strange reason, they are not very popular.

All told, I think you should look at this slightly differently. The 863 delivers music quite well in spite of being an AVR. So you should plan around a pair of large and musical fronts, either bookshelves or floor standers. Since you are ready to build your 5.1 over a period of 3 to 6 months. first look for a pair of good musical fronts, and build around that. Look for speakers from PSB, Wharfedale, Mission, Mordaunt Short and similar companies.

This way you will be able to enjoy movies and music from the same system.

Cheers

Thanks for your inputs venkat. My plan is on similar lines as well i.e. to get large musical fronts and build around them.. However, my media room will accomodate 2 floorstanders and a center but will need satellites for the surrounds and back (in the future for a 7.1 set up). I will try and hear the mirages again with some music.
I was only able to see the wharfedale 9.5 from Vector systems. I liked the towers but surrounds seemed to big for my room. I need to do thorough audition. I am not sure where I can find missions in hyderabad. I would like to audition the M35 if there is a dealer in hyd. PSB and Morduant seem to be available with Sound and Vision. I will try and give them a visit.

The thing about the Jamo's is that they are offering a 5 year warranty on the C and E series (2 years for S series). I am not sure if any other the other brands would have any warranty. Is warranty something that is important?

Also, I had a wild idea of pairing the Mirage Omni 550 towers with the nanosat to complete a 7.1 set up. Not sure how it will work. On the same lines, can I match different brands or is it a bad idea i.e. get sats from Mirage (each sat is available in the US for $125) or some other brand and get Wharf/Mission towers and center. Just thinking alound on different options that crossed my mind.

thanks blasto and reignofchaos. Appreciate your inputs. I will try and see if I can find a dealer for Missions in hyderabad. Also will audition the E750 and haggle a bit to see what they can be had for :). The challenge with E750 is that I will need to get the package for 70K+ (assuming i get some discount) and outside my budget for now. don't really want to stretch myself thin during times of recession :).

The thing about the Jamo's is that they are offering a 5 year warranty on the C and E series (2 years for S series). I am not sure if any other the other brands would have any warranty. Is warranty something that is important?

Most brands will offer a 1 year warranty, though I do not see much value for a warranty for speakers. There is nothing that can go wrong with speakers. Will Jamo warranty that you will like the speakers? :)

Also, I had a wild idea of pairing the Mirage Omni 550 towers with the nanosat to complete a 7.1 set up. Not sure how it will work. On the same lines, can I match different brands or is it a bad idea i.e. get sats from Mirage (each sat is available in the US for $125) or some other brand and get Wharf/Mission towers and center. Just thinking alound on different options that crossed my mind.

There is no harm is mixing speakers from different brands - you have to match the looks, impedance, sensitivity, and power ratings as closely as possible. The biggest challenge will be the looks. There is also something called timbre matching. This come from construction, type of wood used, etc. Needs lots of experience and a keen ear. It is just easier to buy from the same brand and not worry about it later.

If you are looking at something like Wharfedale, look for their bi-polar speakers that can be mounted flush against the wall. With these used for surrounds, you may not need a pair at the Back (the last two in 7.1) for a long time.

Cheers

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back