Speaker Cable

abhisheak

Hi,

I am going to do wiring for my speaker cables from scratch. I am looking to buy a bundle of speaker cable.
Distance to surround speakers is about 40-50 feet.
So can someone suggest will the speaker cable or normal electrical cable is recommended? What sqmm or gauge?
I need to do cabling for 5.1.2 system.

Hi,

I am going to do wiring for my speaker cables from scratch. I am looking to buy a bundle of speaker cable.
So can someone suggest will the speaker cable or normal electrical cable is recommended? What sqmm or gauge?
There is a sale going on , on Amazon on MX cables. I am considering picking up a reel to wire up my rear surrounds.

MaSh

Hi,

for surrounds go with 16 guage cables and for the mains and center with 14 or 12 guage.
Any well shielded cables will do. In budget you can get speakers cables made by Finolex, Mercury etc. or look at MX, Amazon basics and the likes.
If you want to up the budget, you can look at studio grade cables like Belden, Mogami, Canare etc.

Hi,

I will advise you to go with belden cables. They are of good quality and will last long.

Hi,

In one room I'm using Finolex 6 mm electrical wire since 2007 and in another room Polycab 6 mm electrical wire since 2011.

To my deaf ears they sound perfectly fine 😂😂, YMMV

Hi,

if u hav a good system dont use cheap cables and electrical wire. spend some money to buy good cables that will last a long time and do justice to your system now and when u upgrade. i use speaker cables - biwire i bought 25 yrs ago and they are still superb. now used with the Tannoy Kensington reference speaker. if u cant get good cables inindia, then get some one to bring u a set.

Hi,

Investing in good cables is a one time affair, buy a good one and forget it as that's all you'll need. Cables like Belden and canare are built to last and totally worth it when you listen to what they can offer. M sure ube already made the purchase.

Hi,

For fronts and center go with a proper OFC speaker cable any size from 12-14 gauge are good. . for surrounds ie 40-50 ft distance you can put any cable eg regular finolex power cable is also fine.

Are brands like belden, Mogami recommended for long runs like 35 to 45 ft?, and do they result in better SQ even for surround channels when compared to other cheaper OFC brands like Amazon basics ?.

Also the challenge when using power cables for long runs, is they end up bulky when we club 2 wires for each speaker and they are not very flexible like speaker wires..

The attached table will help u. The table is by MX. You can go for good quality speaker Cable (OFC) of proper gauge depending on your requirement and budget. I use 16awg(ofc) cable for running length of 3 meters each side for 2 channel stereo set up. I have two amps one is 50w rms per channel and other is 90w rms per channel. I had never faced any signal strength or sound quality problem. Try to terminate the cables with banana plugs/spades depending on the binding post at the back of your component and speakers. This will provide better contact and ease of removing cables at time of cleaning. All the best.

Attachments

• Speaker Cables (Gauge etc).png
    Speaker Cables (Gauge etc).png
    156.2 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back