Speaker-cables - type & specs

TheSeeker

Hello all !

i need some speaker cables for my recently purchased amplifier and floorstanders. i will be connecting the amp to those FS. i needed to know what exactly should i be looking as regards to tech. specifications. i saw some cables in a workshop that were thick and were different in form than the usual thin transparent ones i have for my HT system.

also, i would need around 2-3 metre of them, but upon checking MDRelectronics' website, found that they have 100m rolls of transparent speaker wires. would they be able to ship to me, say 5m per pair ? or do i need to search locally ? i have a few MX cables (bought locally, not online) and i like them, hence thought of trying them first.

sorry, but just to confirm - source-output goes to amp, and amp's output goes to speakers as input. am i correct ?!

if you have any other suggestion for cables, please do advise.

thanks for reading !

P.S. - i have already added banana plugs from the website to my cart :)

Yeah right. Source to amp to speaker. Head to lamington road. Get good cables from belden if you are on budget. They have different cables for speakers and interconnects. Empty your cart and get good banana plugs fm there itself.

that means another week of waiting :(
but nevermind :)
upon going deeper into the forum, now came to know of 4-5 shops at lamington road, where i could get good budget-cables :)

i presume i should be looking at 12-16 AWG of wire. if it makes a considerable difference, then which one of these, specifically ?!

EDIT : I see now....the 16AWG one is considerably better than 14AWG. if it suits my pocket, then i would take the 16AWG; otherwise, the 14 one.

Last edited:
4 things to look for in speaker cables:

1. Required length
2. Gauge - 16 AWG will do for most lengths - unless you are running more than 15-20 ft. Some people prefer 14 AWG
3. connectors : Nude (bare wire), Banana plugs, Spades,
4. Single or bi-wiring

Re: brands and pricing - there are tons. Its just a few clicks away from you as you search the forum.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back