Speaker Dilemma: Wharfedale or Dali (Budget concerns)

rockstar1630

I recently acquired Yamaha Rx V 863. Now I have 2 options:

Option 1: Purchase a pair of Wharf 10.1 every month to build a 7 channel solution. (I have an old 7.1 channel speaker system from my gigaworks S750 which I will phase out gradually).

Option 2: I always wanted to buy Dali Ikon 6 based 7.1 channel system. So can I buy a pair of Dali Ikon bookshelfs (suggest which one) every month (for rear and surround channels) and use them as fronts till the time I save up to buy Dali Ikon 6 FS and center channel.

Please guide. Preference is SQ.

Also please guide about pricing of these individual components. I am based in Delhi/NCR

Option 2: I always wanted to buy Dali Ikon 6 based 7.1 channel system. So can I buy a pair of Dali Ikon bookshelfs (suggest which one) every month (for rear and surround channels) and use them as fronts till the time I save up to buy Dali Ikon 6 FS and center channel.

If you wanted Dali's, then Dalis is what you should get. Only issue is to start with at least the Front L&R. If you buy the surround and rear speakers first, you cannot use the system till you get the fronts.

Cheers

If you wanted Dali's, then Dalis is what you should get.

2nd that! It's an excellent speaker package. Try to get the Ikon 6 first and build your system around it adding the surrounds, center and sub as and when your funds allow.

If you wanted Dali's, then Dalis is what you should get. Only issue is to start with at least the Front L&R. If you buy the surround and rear speakers first, you cannot use the system till you get the fronts.

Cheers

Thanks, Is it possible to use the surrounds as fronts for a while? Is it necessary to buy the Ikon 6 surrounds for surrounds? Can't I use the Ikon Bookshelfs for fronts first and then later as surrounds? Is there a difference in Ikon surrounds and Ikon Bookshelfs as surround speakers?

Will the Ikons fare well with 863?

(sorry for so many questions)

Last edited:
I recently acquired Yamaha Rx V 863. Now I have 2 options:

Option 1: Purchase a pair of Wharf 10.1 every month to build a 7 channel solution. (I have an old 7.1 channel speaker system from my gigaworks S750 which I will phase out gradually).

Also please guide about pricing of these individual components. I am based in Delhi/NCR

if u plan to get front BS now and use them as surrounds later..also u have plans for ikon6 later then i wd say u can get a pair of lector 1 around 18-19k which are very decent fronts and pair gud with 863
later on u can push them as rears/surrounds and have ikon6 + center in front..
i did the same 6 months back.. now lector 1 is in rear and rx6+center in front

if u plan to get front BS now and use them as surrounds later..also u have plans for ikon6 later then i wd say u can get a pair of lector 1 around 18-19k which are very decent fronts and pair gud with 863
later on u can push them as rears/surrounds and have ikon6 + center in front..
i did the same 6 months back.. now lector 1 is in rear and rx6+center in front

Hey thanks for a wonderful suggestion. Rx 6, I believe are from MA?, How much you paid for them? Can you give me a dealers contact for Lektor 1. How are lektor 2 over lektor 1?

have you checked out Usher? If you haven't please do. They make pretty lovely speakers, starting from the Usher S520 bookshelves for 22k a pair that are at the very least the equal of Dali and Monitor Audio offerings around the price range. I own and love them so I guess I am a bit biased, but I bought after extensive auditions of stuff in the price range :) All the best anyways.

have you checked out Usher? If you haven't please do. They make pretty lovely speakers, starting from the Usher S520 bookshelves for 22k a pair that are at the very least the equal of Dali and Monitor Audio offerings around the price range. I own and love them so I guess I am a bit biased, but I bought after extensive auditions of stuff in the price range :) All the best anyways.

Can 4 usher bookshelfs, gel in well with the Ikon 6 fronts and center?

no idea about that rockstar, ideally you should timbre match all the speakers in your surround setup so on paper this does not sound like a good idea. If you love the dalis, then stick with them for the entire setup.

Can 4 usher bookshelfs, gel in well with the Ikon 6 fronts and center?

no idea about that rockstar, ideally you should timbre match all the speakers in your surround setup so on paper this does not sound like a good idea. If you love the dalis, then stick with them for the entire setup.

How much would the Usher Floor standers cost? (Matching the Usher Book Shelfs)

How much would the Usher Floor standers cost? (Matching the Usher Book Shelfs)

usher FS would be close 1L, if u can afford that, then i wd suggest demo more FS such as MA/Quad/Canton/Dynaudio/PSB.. all the FS are in the 75k - 1L category..
if u do not have much patience, then i wd say that usher520 as suggested above is the best buy in 20k category..
and if u plan to move these later to surrounds then no worries.. timber matching is essential only for fronts (L/R/C)
lector2 wd be 21-22k, frankly i dont see much gain except power handling which shoul not be a concern to u unless u plan to have them as fronts for more than 6 months..
rx6 is on the expensive side.. retails for 83k mrp with 10% discount offered if u negotiate well..

Back