Speaker drivers bangalore

vadiraj

Hi,

At last I have decided to get on a journey of making speakers myself...I am a completely a novice and willing to try..I am sure I will get lot of help from this group..

This is what I am doing..Pls tell me if I am wrong.

1. Decide on the specs. My aim is to build a 3 way speaker system (with 1 8" driver, 2 6" drivers and a tweeter)
2. For this I have shortlisted the following drivers
Peerless P17SJ
Peerless TC14WG
Peerless D27TG
Though I am not able to get an 8" driver listed at Corrson website, hence settling for P17SJ..

I need help in designing cross overs for these drivers..and also if you can let me know where can I get these components in Bangalore (SP road for sure)

I am trying to visit Corrson and get these drivers, but if somebody can let me know if similar drivers are avialable elsewhere, will try them as well..

Cheers!!
vadiraj

Hi,

Welcome to the world of DIY my friend !!!!

Now some questions :p ! why did you chose to go the DIY way ? and why 3way if may ask ? and finally why peerless (well there other questions but this is enough for now) ?

Please do shed some light on these !! I'll be glad to help you in any way ! if you are upto it !!

You may get some basic details of these stuff by going through my DIY Tower thread (follow the signature) !

Also if you want you can drop in and check it out and discuss bout it !

Regards.

Hi,

Thanks my friend..

Well there's no real reason I want to do my own speakers. They are going to be my speakers you know..I just want to experiment.

No reason for 3 way speaker. I am interested in making a tower speakers. When i am making something, i thought let me make something BIG..:)

And WHy did I chose, Peerless, again when I browsed thru Google, Corrsons are the only peole who seem to have some professional speaker drivers. hence decided on Peerless. Here again I am willing to experiment. Infact I went to SP road yesterday to check out whats avilable. I found some speaker drivers called Dainty, a 12" driver said 130 W RMS. The cone was made of Plastic..I thought they are CON drivers....

I browsed thru the web and found some DIY specs which are really good...

Let me be honest with you. I have browsed thru your stuff and found them to interesting. I am inspired to work on DIY now...

I will definietly want to meet up with you and look at the stuff you have made..Let me know where are you put up..

more later..thnx...cheers vadiraj..

Hi,

Ok fine got the point !! I'd defiantly say you have to visit my place,coz a lot myth's are going to be shattered when you see them ;) !!

The said Dainty is from Taiwan and you got it right not a worthy contender for any serious projects !

We have Peerless India driver which are also good and cost effective ! so thats there ! and some other options !

Thanks for liking my DIY effort ! Am in Sanjaynagar ! PM me for further on the possible visit and timings etc !!

As said will help as much as possible !

Regards.

Hey Guys.. i just read your post.. well im too a bit of a novice at this stuff but ive already managed my own 3 way.. dont ask for what drivers i used.. dont laugh either..
i used two Sony XPLOD XS-GTF1625B drivers..6 inch.. for the Mid and Bass.. Well nothing here to say.. i paid less than i Grand for these little puppies and they'l probably be good in a car more than tower speakers.. i used sony XPLOD tweeters as well.. my total spending was not more than 2K.. well..for the crossover i used something Called A Bolton Dividing Network.. it IS a crossover in that sense.. but Horrible to the ears..the tweeters takes off leaving everything behind..
to tickle you even more.. i just built ONE tower..well i had plans for two but the backbreaking woodwork (the timber shop guy was probably conked by the way he cut my boards..) i wanted to use MDF but settled for Ply.. a real nightmare to cut and shape..
so i built One Tower!!.. 3 ft tall..8 inch wide 10 inch depth.. not too menacing..i now removed the bass and made both just regular speakers..only the tweeter is connected to the crossover..
Sounds Pretty Terrible..
NOW i come to my point.. i have another 4 months of absolutely NOTHING to do..and plan a second attempt at this.. with a better Budget..and some Sense.. Where do you get Good Drivers in Bangalore?.. i bought all my electronics On SP road.. someone told me thats the place for electronics..and cheap stuff..
please tell me a place i can find good DIY stuff..
oh..like a fool ..to make it worse.. i went to the cinebells Jamo shop at cunnnignham..they were quite the stuff.. something i want to try!!..
i cant possible crack the crossover bit so i'd like to Buy one..not Make it..
Thanks..
Rahul..

Hey Guys.. i just read your post.. well im too a bit of a novice at this stuff but ive already managed my own 3 way.. dont ask for what drivers i used.. dont laugh either..
i used two Sony XPLOD XS-GTF1625B drivers..6 inch.. for the Mid and Bass.. Well nothing here to say.. i paid less than i Grand for these little puppies and they'l probably be good in a car more than tower speakers.. i used sony XPLOD tweeters as well.. my total spending was not more than 2K.. well..for the crossover i used something Called A Bolton Dividing Network.. it IS a crossover in that sense.. but Horrible to the ears..the tweeters takes off leaving everything behind..
to tickle you even more.. i just built ONE tower..well i had plans for two but the backbreaking woodwork (the timber shop guy was probably conked by the way he cut my boards..) i wanted to use MDF but settled for Ply.. a real nightmare to cut and shape..
so i built One Tower!!.. 3 ft tall..8 inch wide 10 inch depth.. not too menacing..i now removed the bass and made both just regular speakers..only the tweeter is connected to the crossover..
Sounds Pretty Terrible..
NOW i come to my point.. i have another 4 months of absolutely NOTHING to do..and plan a second attempt at this.. with a better Budget..and some Sense.. Where do you get Good Drivers in Bangalore?.. i bought all my electronics On SP road.. someone told me thats the place for electronics..and cheap stuff..
please tell me a place i can find good DIY stuff..
oh..like a fool ..to make it worse.. i went to the cinebells Jamo shop at cunnnignham..they were quite the stuff.. something i want to try!!..
i cant possible crack the crossover bit so i'd like to Buy one..not Make it..
Thanks..
Rahul..

hi rahul - follow this thread and get in touch with OP - one for kolkata and one for bangalore!!:yahoo:

http://www.hifivision.com/diy/8461-3-way-driver-selection.html

and yes, the best DIY in bangalore was definitely Corrson - but i think they have stopped supporting the DIY community now - but talk to Jeya of Corrson at 9845517730 - she might help you if they have kits left over - they had an excellent 3-way kit for 33,000 (pair) using vifa drivers.
best of luck and enjoyment with your DIY.

for further guidance - pm soundsgreat in this forum - he can give you complete guidance - FYI - soundsgreat makes everything himself - including the drivers!

Last edited:
Wow.. That Was Fast.. I guessed right then .. well im not looking for a complete Kit in that sense.. but just drivers and things..now for the second project money isnt tight.. wel i dint spend because it was my first and probably knew i would screw it up.. il check it out..
Cheers!!.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back