Speaker enclosure extension

jmascreen

Is there a way to extended the speaker enclosures? I am planning to experiment with my 3 way enclosure.

New enclosure ?....or putting an add on ?
Making it taller or deeper or wider ?

Volume will change and will affect the bass performance. Wider will affect the response higher up in frequency.

What are you trying to achieve ?

Here is the image of my speaker's

IMAGES

I wanted to resize the chamber of MID to accommodate one more mid driver in a MTM configuration. For achieving it I have to push the partition bit down. This is changing the volume of lower chamber. so to increase the volume I am planning to add the depth by adding additional baffles in a right angle triangle.

Please let me know if more clarity required.

From the looks of it, maybe you can lower the current mid and put in another mid over it. The tweeter can be offset to the side which will do it good. Might be a tight fit but measure and check.

From the looks of it, maybe you can lower the current mid and put in another mid over it. The tweeter can be offset to the side which will do it good. Might be a tight fit but measure and check.

I will go with new baffles for front. However bit concerned with lower compartment as the volume will be reduced.

Any suggestions to extend it?

I will go with new baffles for front. However bit concerned with lower compartment as the volume will be reduced.

Any suggestions to extend it?
What I meant is that you try and see if it is possible to lower the existing mid driver within it's own enclosure and try to fit another mid above it with the tweeter offset to the side. That way you will not need to do anything to the lower enclosure.

Edit: Another crazy thing to try is to see if your 2 intended vertical M's can be accommodated diagonally within the current mid chamber. :D

Last edited:
What I meant is that you try and see if it is possible to lower the existing mid driver within it's own enclosure and try to fit another mid above it with the tweeter offset to the side. That way you will not need to do anything to the lower enclosure.
Not enough space, need to lower the partition of LF

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Originally Posted by keith_correa View Post

Nothing is going to work as per above suggestions,best and only easy way is to rotate the box upside down,now your down panel will be the upper panel,since i see there is enough space below the woofer.

By doing this way you can easily accommodate 2 mids with the tweeter (MTM) in straight line or if there is enough width in the front baffle offset the tweeter little higher between the 2 mids as in the below link,adding your woofer to it.

I feel having 2 woofer to this new MTM set up will be better for balancing the mids and lows frequency.

Tritrix_pg_1

Then You can shift the lower freq partition,do the finishing for the bottom panel if you havent done lamination. with this method no loss of vol,only you have to add the new mid driver displacement which is negligible.

Thanks
rajesh.

Thanks Rajesh, this is a good idea however if I resize the partition for woofer and mid the volume of woofer will be reduced so to compensate that I have to increase it a bit

Nothing is going to work as per above suggestions,best and only easy way is to rotate the box upside down,now your down panel will be the upper panel,since i see there is enough space below the woofer.

By doing this way you can easily accommodate 2 mids with the tweeter (MTM) in straight line or if there is enough width in the front baffle offset the tweeter little higher between the 2 mids as in the below link,adding your woofer to it.

I feel having 2 woofer to this new MTM set up will be better for balancing the mids and lows frequency.

Tritrix_pg_1

Then You can shift the lower freq partition,do the finishing for the bottom panel if you havent done lamination. with this method no loss of vol,only you have to add the new mid driver displacement which is negligible.

Thanks
rajesh.

Edit: Another crazy thing to try is to see if your 2 intended vertical M's can be accommodated diagonally within the current mid chamber. :D

In the one you linked to, the mid's are aligned horizontally. Think diagonal alignment of the mid's. Measure and try to see if it will fit. See image for crude representation.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    9.9 KB · Views: 110
I am thinking to modify the enclosure like below snap. However the L shape in front side by extending that chamber with woofer mounted in front and front firing port.

Recently heard the dali lektor 8 and wanted my speakers to deliver similarly

Figure_8_Finished_Wedge_pair_The_grille_off_on_t.jpg

However the L shape in front side by extending that chamber with woofer mounted in front and front firing port.
Care to rephrase that? What "L" shape? Where do you even see an "L" shape?
Recently heard the dali lektor 8 and wanted my speakers to deliver similarly
OK, but how will turning a TMW design into an MTMW design achieve this?

Care to rephrase that? What "L" shape? Where do you even see an "L" shape?

OK, but how will turning a TMW design into an MTMW design achieve this?

Ok I was not clear, let me try to put in more.

What I am trying to do is to make a right angle triangle by extending the woofer chamber of current enclosure and increase the partition size to accommodate MTM.

Secondly I will rework on crossover by changing woofer from 800Hz to 200Hz and rest is been taken care by rest drivers.

Suggestion required on how it will sound like the dali lektor..

Moving forward with the build.

The current chamber dimension as 34*11*14 inches of 85L, which I concluded using BB6 for high fidelity. Now the new chamber I am thinking for extended bass around 28 F3. I was calculating the enclosure following are the output from BB6 and UniBox

Can anyone let me know if I am on correct path.

New_SB25_NP.jpg

Tritrix_pg_1

Thanks
rajesh.

Further to my suggestions of making use of the existing box,one more
option is do a separate mid box according to its t/s parameters and place it
on top of the tweeter in a mtm format.

That way the existing woofer box vol will not change and you will be saving cost in altering the box.

your method of doing like below will lead to complications and addtional exp.
better is to do like i suggested or totally build a new box according to your new bb6 or unibox calculations.

What I am trying to do is to make a right angle triangle by extending the woofer chamber of current enclosure and increase the partition size to accommodate MTM.

thanks
rajesh.

Further to my suggestions of making use of the existing box,one more
option is do a separate mid box according to its t/s parameters and place it
on top of the tweeter in a mtm format.

That way the existing woofer box vol will not change and you will be saving cost in altering the box.

your method of doing like below will lead to complications and addtional exp.
better is to do like i suggested or totally build a new box according to your new bb6 or unibox calculations.

thanks
rajesh.
Which one is more precise?

Screenshot for T/S specifications, these are couple of years old driver and doesnt match the value of current ones.

SB25_NP_TS.jpg

Guys I am chasing an unattainable dream of speakers sounding like Dali Lektor 8.

Dali Lektor 8

Google reveal that they are using some

1) Soft Textile Dome - Tweeter
2) Wood Fibre Cone - Mid/Woofer

While searching I am not able to find drivers with above specifications. Any suggestions for similar drivers or alternate drivers which sound as same as them.

Back