speaker impedance and AVR 255

M

mpw

Hi,

Would there be any damage to the AVR if we connect 2 front speakers of 6 ohm impedance and the rears, sub and center are 8 ohm impedance ?

Am considering the Wharfedale 9.6 Diamond to replace my JBL Control ONE as front speakers.

Any idea about the price for a pair of Jamo C405 fronts in Mumbai ?

Thanks,
mpw

HK AVR 255, JBL CSS 10, JBL Control NOW, JBL Control One ( fronts and surrounds ), Samsung 46B550, Pioneer DV410

It should be fine - unless you attach multiple speakers to the same "speaker out". You may have to use room correction/ different volume levels to bring them all to same level.

regards

Hi,

Would there be any damage to the AVR if we connect 2 front speakers of 6 ohm impedance and the rears, sub and center are 8 ohm impedance ?

Am considering the Wharfedale 9.6 Diamond to replace my JBL Control ONE as front speakers.

Any idea about the price for a pair of Jamo C405 fronts in Mumbai ?

Thanks,
mpw

HK AVR 255, JBL CSS 10, JBL Control NOW, JBL Control One ( fronts and surrounds ), Samsung 46B550, Pioneer DV410

Most AVRs can driver speakers from 4 ohms to 8 ohms. What you have remember is that the speakers having 6 ohms will sound much louder than the ones with 8 ohms. You have to correct this by adjusting the speaker levels in the AVR. You can also set the impedance of each set of speakers separately in the AVR.

Though there is no harm done in connecting speaker with different impedances, you have to know what to do to get a good sound stage from your system.

Cheers

Most AVRs can driver speakers from 4 ohms to 8 ohms. ...

I would not depend too much on AVRs driving 4 ohm loads though the manual might state as such. This is due to legal requirement than really being able to drive against such constraints.

6 ohms should not be a problem though.

At the risk of repetition, I will ask anyways. Wouldn't it be easier to drive a 4ohms circuit rather than, say 6 or 8ohms? I am sure there is a catch...:licklips:

lower the resistance, higher the current that the speakers will demand - and hence it is a difficult load. Higher current, higher heatups everywhere, and can melt things anywhere in the path.

regards

At the risk of repetition, I will ask anyways. Wouldn't it be easier to drive a 4ohms circuit rather than, say 6 or 8ohms? I am sure there is a catch...:licklips:

Simplistic answer -
Impedance is a moving target throughout the sound reproduction, its jumping all over the place from 1 to even 15 ohms.

Any amp will deliver the optimum power (volume) to the speaker when the speaker impedance matches its internal impedance . Because of lower impedance, a 4 ohm speaker draws more current from the amp via its (amp) output transistors. If the speakers resistance goes below that for a period of time, a lot of current is being forced through these transistors which might cause them to overheat and shut down.

@mpw - can u please tell me from where did u buy ur AVR-255 and for how much?I am looking for one but its not available anywhere.Thanks buddy.

avaneesh,

i bought the HK AVR 255 from the JBL Showroom in Atria Mall in Worli Mumbai. Cost is all incl Rs 35K.

Its easy to use and a good buy.

I looked at Denon 1909 as well but i liked this one better. I would have preferred the Marantz 6003 but that was not in stock at that time and Marantz does not have a official service center / rep in India.

AVR 255 is pretty good. Has all the features one would look for.

Regards,
mpw.

Thanks mpw.Greatful for ur prompt reply.May I knw when did u purchase it coz i got one booked at sumaria a week back and when my bro went to collect it,they said its out of stock.I called jbl showroom,atria mall and they quoted 40k for it.Can you please help.Regards.

Last edited:
Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back