speaker positioning

the other day denom was home and we did some speaker positioning experiments again.

The earlier position was 31 inch from the back wall and the new position is about 13.5 inch from the back wall ( & about 6 ft 11 in apart ). This is made possible as i have moved my audio rack to the left end so psychologically i get more space else the tendency is to push the speakers in front of the audio rack.

Covering the TV screen with a thick rajai ( carpet ) we found a nice well rounded sound with a " un-sharp " top end ( not rolled off ).

The lower mids / vocals and the bass region have more presence due to back wall support for these frequencies.

The earlier positioning was more open and transparent and my naim nait 50W'er had to work harder on the lower frequencies i suppose.

Now with the support of the rear wall i dont have to raise the volume too much and the sound is very likeable too..

Thought i could share this ....as it is better to work with the rear wall than against it ( lower amp power vs higher amp power ) especially if you dont have an amp with a high wattage. Also true for a larger room ( shared space ).

Untrue... if yo have your own room or a large room which is not a shared space or an amp with the grunt to extract all the juice from your speakers.... basically squeeze it dry..

A sealed speaker does help in this regard to try and come closer to the back wall..

here is a pic..:)

Thanks denom !

stuff like this requires 2 pairs of hands and 2 pairs of ears... else measuring distances and validating the sound can be tiresome sometimes.. :clapping:

The Merlin is one speaker that likes to play with grills off :D

regards
mpw

Last edited by a moderator:
Back