Speaker stands_ my DIY Approach !!!!

Anil kumar

Hi all, i was looking for an easy solution for some good DIY bookshelf speaker stands which i am building for a friend of mine. Here every part is custom made. Initially everything was worked out on paper for a good looking stands. For the purpose i am using 2.50" dia Aluminium (2 mm thick) pipe and solid rubber wood for top & bottom plates which is much cheaper than teak & oak. Pipe ends are fitted with machined aluminium mount brackets, this holds wood plates with the help of 3 sets of 5 mm stainless steel allen bolts (120 degree apart) & these blocks are threaded to accept 5 mm bolts. Top wood plate sits on the machned bracket, wood plate has 3 counter sink holes for allen bolts. Similarly bottom plates are fitted 3 bolts which holds the heavy 1.3kg MS powdercoated counterweight at the bottom for greater stability. A wire management path keeps speaker cables safely organized (speaker cables runs inside of the tube). Adjustable aluminium spikes are yet to be machined. These speaker stands will be incredibly solid and sturdy. Rubber wood will have beveled corners which will be polished & spray enameled. Aluminum columns & brackets will be powder coated.

01-3.jpg

Aluminum & MS blocks ready for machining....

03-2.jpg

Last edited:
Wow !! :yahoo: This is really simple and good looking !! Get the center rod anodized if possible

Where did you get the pipes from ? local hardware store ?
And where did you get the machining done from ? I mean in mumbai where should i go asking for this particular service ?

Great job !!!! :clapping::clapping:

Last edited:
they will look fabulous after finish
coating on the pipe and polish on the wood i presume

why wood and not MS ?

Hi,

Anil good going buddy ! Very elegant and neat :) !!

I agree with others here,you may consider Metals to the existing wooden ones for better stability and better overall performance of the units !!

Through the pics it looks like you've used Rubber Wood,if so its very very light as I have experienced, So they may not be that suitable ! If this is done for Aesthetics then I say use this on top the Metal (the actual effect of that is something which needs to be seen) !

Otherwise fine job as usual and congrats on the build :)!

Regards.

Last edited:
^^
demigod
the above picture is just a mockup
he hasnt drilled/tapped the holes yet for screwing the Al insert with the wooden top and bottom plates

im intersted in knowing how anil has afixed the Al inserts to the MS pipe
is it just a press fit, or side screws are used
of course the best method i can think of is turning threads on the insert and mating threads on the pipe. ive used this in one of my grantite stands

SG has mentioned so im advicing ( otherwise it woulod seem im too critical)
At least an MS bottom plate would be right to use
2 reasons
One would be stability: using heavy MS at the bottom would lower your CG and add weight to the stand ( currently i think it probably weighs in at about 5kgs each?)
Nest is ofcourse Spiking... which best shows results only with hard surfaces

Last edited:
hi anil,

just for my edification - but what speakers (bookshelf) are those?

regds

Thanks sachin, center aluminum pipe will be powder coated.
Pipes are available at second hand market or else you have to buy the entire length of 12 feet from the hardware stores, normally they do not sell cut pipes. Regarding availability, Mumbai guys can help you out.

Regards,
Anil

Wow !! :yahoo: This is really simple and good looking !! Get the center rod anodized if possible

Where did you get the pipes from ? local hardware store ?
And where did you get the machining done from ? I mean in mumbai where should i go asking for this particular service ?

Great job !!!! :clapping::clapping:

Thanks magma. Yes!!! pipe will be powder coated ( mat black) & wood will be given 4 coats of polish with melamine spray.

Regards,
Anil

they will look fabulous after finish
coating on the pipe and polish on the wood i presume

why wood and not MS ?

great looking and i'm sure its gonna superb sounding too anil! waiting for final pics to drool over :) if you don't mind please do post close up or clear pics of how you attach the top plate to the tube. curious bout that.

regards

Thanks buddy!!!!
Right now the problem with metal is finishing. Milling & cutting 6mm metal plate is very expensive, but the problem here is good professional finish which i am looking for. Suggest me a good workshop who does good job in Bengaluru. I shall look in to adapting metal base in my next project.

For good stability i am attaching a 1.5 kg MS counterweight at the bottom plate, so CG will be shifted to base.

Regards,
Anil

Hi,

Anil good going buddy ! Very elegant and neat :) !!

I agree with others here,you may consider Metals to the existing wooden ones for better stability and better overall performance of the units !!

Through the pics it looks like you've used Rubber Wood,if so its very very light as I have experienced, So they may not be that suitable ! If this is done for Aesthetics then I say use this on top the Metal (the actual effect of that is something which needs to be seen) !

Otherwise fine job as usual and congrats on the build :)!

Regards.

Your granite stands looks great magma!!!! excellent DIY work :clapping: i love it
I will be using Allen bolts to fix the pipe with machined brackets, threading requires thicker gauge pipe.
Regarding the stability part, i am using 1.5 kg MS counter weights at the base, which cannot be seen (weight can be increased to 4 - 5 kg, not an issue). I am going for anodized machined Aluminum spikes.

Thanks for the valuable inputs.

Regards,
Anil

^^
demigod
the above picture is just a mockup
he hasnt drilled/tapped the holes yet for screwing the Al insert with the wooden top and bottom plates

im intersted in knowing how anil has afixed the Al inserts to the MS pipe
is it just a press fit, or side screws are used
of course the best method i can think of is turning threads on the insert and mating threads on the pipe. ive used this in one of my grantite stands

SG has mentioned so im advicing ( otherwise it woulod seem im too critical)
At least an MS bottom plate would be right to use
2 reasons
One would be stability: using heavy MS at the bottom would lower your CG and add weight to the stand ( currently i think it probably weighs in at about 5kgs each?)
Nest is ofcourse Spiking... which best shows results only with hard surfaces

Thanks stevie, of course each part will be photographed after completion.

Regards,
Anil

great looking and i'm sure its gonna superb sounding too anil! waiting for final pics to drool over :) if you don't mind please do post close up or clear pics of how you attach the top plate to the tube. curious bout that.

regards

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back