Speaker suggestion for Onkyo 606

gap g j

Hi

I intend to buy SR606, I have very tight budget and I'm not able to buy speakers now.

I have 3 way speaker which came with the Sony hifi system that we bought in Singapore, Which sounds very good, I intend to use this speaker for front and it has 8 ohms impedence. And I have a powered sub which came free along with the 29" T.V. The Sub is down firing with adjustable frequency from 50Hz to 150Hz.

And I need center and 4 surround only. I asked the price of 5.0 speaker package but the dealer does not recommend this and he insist to buy a full HTiB saying the mismatching speakers will either blow the speaker or the receiver itself.

Members please help me to decide whether I can use Sony Speaker (8ohms) for front and surround speakers which may be 6 ohms and later upgrade my front to Floor standing speakers.

Thanking you in advance

Regards
Gap G J

No i'm asking about whether speakers of different ohms can be connected to the AVR, will it damage the AVR.

There is no harm is connecting speakers of different impedance in a 5.1 set up. In such a situation, the AVR has to be set up carefully, as it will have different loads on the various channels. I am not sure about the 606, but in some AVRs you can specify the impedance for each channel.

Visit a few Sony dealers and see if you can get speakers of the same impedance. If not, you may have no option to do what you are asking for.

I am not sure how it will sound though.

Cheers

No i'm asking about whether speakers of different ohms can be connected to the AVR, will it damage the AVR.

kk.you can connect spk with impedence mentioned in manual.
ie.manual says you can select from 6 to 16 ohms.
So no Harm.

kk.you can connect spk with impedence mentioned in manual.
ie.manual says you can select from 6 to 16 ohms.
So no Harm.

Thanks Spirovious,

I to downloaded the manual and saw in it, but the sales person said you cannot connect it. why did he discouraged me from going for a good AV?

Gap G J

Thanks Spirovious,

I to downloaded the manual and saw in it, but the sales person said you cannot connect it. why did he discouraged me from going for a good AV?

Gap G J

Generally sales person dont have enough knowledge.I experienced many times when I asked simple Q from impedence to THD etc.

So if manual says you can connect 6 to 16(in High end 4 to 16 ohm),you shldnt worry.

In my case my AVR manual says I can connect 8 to 16ohm(no 6ohm),I asked to Onkyo service centre(personally I went),they said even it is said so ,still 6ohm spk can be connected as Onk makes avr with minimum imp of 6ohms.

So finally 8 ohm Sony spk cannot make any problem & others with 6 ohms are recommended.

Back