Speaker suggestion

Hi guys,

I have Onkyo HTS-5105 HTIB, i am planning to upgrade my fronts now as ppl know the speakers with the HTIB are not good for music and i need speakers which goes well with both music and movies. So i request you to suggest the speakers which matches my Amp (HT-518). I am yet to audition any speakers, planning for this weekend. My budget is 15k to 20k.

Regards
Tech

hey, check out the following threads:

http://www.hifivision.com/speakers/5121-favourite-speakers-under-inr-20k.html

http://www.hifivision.com/speakers/3332-budget-speakers-auditioned-noobs-take.html

Should give you an idea of some of the options. What is the power rating of your AVR? What is the size of your room?

Hi psychotropic,

Thanks for your response, i will go through the links which you have provided. My AVR shuld be able to drive 130w/channel and my room size would 10*10 feet.

for your budget the speakers that I ended up buying, the Usher S520 are pretty much unbeatable, from what I've heard. They are not very power hungry.....and produce some of the cleanest and most detailed mids and highs i've heard in this budget. The bass is tight, tuneful and gorgeous, but does not have the 'thump' that you would hear in some other speakers......Usher has gone for greater extension and accuracy over loudness in the low frequencies and that has resulted in a pair of speakers that sound very neutral and detailed for the price.

Other options that you could consider include the Wharfedale 10.1 (the opposite of the Usher in some ways.....less detailed and less resolving....but the bass has some 'thump' and it goes lower as well....overall a fun speaker)

Also the PSB Alpha B1....attributes are similar to the Usher....it's a good bit cheaper, but IMHO not as good as the Ushers.

The PSB Image B15 should be worth a listen as well, I haven't heard it so I can't comment.

I do not know the present speakers you are using . Whether the present Receiver has BI-Amp. facility ? Even if this facility is available ONKYO receivers cannot produce effect of good sterio as Denon , Yamaha , Sony Etc. receivers with best of the HI-FI speakers available in the market and vice versa. My humble suggestion to you is to go for separate sterio amplifier such as Norge Gold Amp.,which will be around Rs.9500 along with wharfedale Diamond 10.2 speakers for good base / 10.0 for normal base.

Regards.

for your budget the speakers that I ended up buying, the Usher S520 are pretty much unbeatable, from what I've heard. They are not very power hungry.....and produce some of the cleanest and most detailed mids and highs i've heard in this budget. The bass is tight, tuneful and gorgeous, but does not have the 'thump' that you would hear in some other speakers......Usher has gone for greater extension and accuracy over loudness in the low frequencies and that has resulted in a pair of speakers that sound very neutral and detailed for the price.

Other options that you could consider include the Wharfedale 10.1 (the opposite of the Usher in some ways.....less detailed and less resolving....but the bass has some 'thump' and it goes lower as well....overall a fun speaker)

Also the PSB Alpha B1....attributes are similar to the Usher....it's a good bit cheaper, but IMHO not as good as the Ushers.

The PSB Image B15 should be worth a listen as well, I haven't heard it so I can't comment.

I will definitely have a look at Usher S520, but will my Onkyo drive these speakers it says the power handling is 75 watts @8ohms. Where can I audition this in blore?

that's the american site being a bit generous with the specs i think....if you look at the taiwanese site and all other literature...power handling is rated at 50 watts.

You can audition it at ARN Systems, Fraser Town. Shridhar (Odyssey on these forums) is the person you should be speaking to.

I will definitely have a look at Usher S520, but will my Onkyo drive these speakers it says the power handling is 75 watts @8ohms. Where can I audition this in blore?

I do not know the present speakers you are using . Whether the present Receiver has BI-Amp. facility ? Even if this facility is available ONKYO receivers cannot produce effect of good sterio as Denon , Yamaha , Sony Etc. receivers with best of the HI-FI speakers available in the market and vice versa. My humble suggestion to you is to go for separate sterio amplifier such as Norge Gold Amp.,which will be around Rs.9500 along with wharfedale Diamond 10.2 speakers for good base / 10.0 for normal base.

Regards.

I am also thinking in those terms with stereo amp(norge) with wf 9.2 but i my concern is the space constraints for two sets of speakers.so i am exploring all the options as most of my music is in MP3 and my requirement is to connect to my SC. I have thought about AE speakers as well but havent heard one yet. SO i am just seeking all your guys help on the options.

Then you can do away with your fronts and instead use 10.2 to which both the AVR & Sterio receivers can be connected by taking care not to power on both the receivers at the same time.

Regards

Then you can do away with your fronts and instead use 10.2 to which both the AVR & Sterio receivers can be connected by taking care not to power on both the receivers at the same time.

Regards

I may sound noob here but how do i connect two amps to the same speakers, will i need to use a switch for switching between two amp? will there be any sound loss or distoration if i do this way?

You connect the pre outs of your front speaker left and right of your AVR to Lt.& Rt. of STERIO speakers you are intended to purchase and also connect the pre outs of the STERIO AMP to the same speakers in a similar way. Take care while connecting the -Ve & +Ve terminals to the -Ve & +Ve terminals of the speaker. Do not switch on both the receivers at same time.
This is a simple way without any expenditure . You can go for Switch option also.

Recards

Dear S.P Krishna,
I think, the switch option is the only option. Since on a rare occaision a person may switch on both amps accidently, and one of the amps may get FRIED :eek: (I think one of our members "Pradski" has mentioned such incident in this forum, you can use search to get more details)

Dear techgadgets4379,
Your case sounds like deja vu to me. I am also proud owner of 5105... faced the same SQ dillemma... added Wharfdale 9.2 as fronts (dramatic improvement!!!)... sometime later realised that just spending 10k on Norge 1000 can make another dramatic improvement... so got Norge 1000 also . Now I think I have the best HT+Stereo combo at overall cost of 60K approx.

About speaker choice:
1st option:
I haven't heard Usher 520, but read rave reviews about it. If budget permits (26k approx) you should go for them. If you are bass lover, you will find them anemic (reviews say that). However since you have Onkyo 5105's active subwoofer, you wouldn't miss so much (set subwoofer crossover at 100 Hz). After sometime you can add Norge 1000 for another 10k and get another jump in SQ.

2nd Option:
Substitute Usher 520 with Wharfe 9.2 at 14k approx. 9.2's bass extension is unbelievable at this price! (Wharfe 10.1 is reported to have some boomy bass issues and placement problems since its bass reflex ports are at rear... so wouldn't recommend that) + buy Norge 1000 rightaway with savings resulting from not buying Usher 520!

Audition Usher 520 and Wharfe 9.2 BOTH. If you like laid back sound, You may actually find the 9.2 "sufficiently" detailed, and overall a better performer. Whereas people who like more details in treble would like Usher 520.

In Hi-fi, the journey is sometimes more enjoyable than destination. So here's wishing Happy Journey !!! to you.

Regds,

Last edited:
hey if you're going to listen to a lot of MP3s, steer well clear of the Ushers......they are superbly detailed and your MP3s will sound like absolute crap......in that case go for the Wharfedales.....they are not as detailed or resolving, and are still fun speakers with a nice midrange.

But if you are looking to shift to more lossless music and just want the best possible sound for the money the Ushers are where it's at. And the price is more like 22k.

Dear S.P Krishna,
I think, the switch option is the only option. Since on a rare occaision a person may switch on both amps accidently, and one of the amps may get FRIED :eek: (I think one of our members "Pradski" has mentioned such incident in this forum, you can use search to get more details)

Dear techgadgets4379,
Your case sounds like deja vu to me. I am also proud owner of 5105... faced the same SQ dillemma... added Wharfdale 9.2 as fronts (dramatic improvement!!!)... sometime later realised that just spending 10k on Norge 1000 can make another dramatic improvement... so got Norge 1000 also . Now I think I have the best HT+Stereo combo at overall cost of 60K approx.

About speaker choice:
1st option:
I haven't heard Usher 520, but read rave reviews about it. If budget permits (26k approx) you should go for them. If you are bass lover, you will find them anemic (reviews say that). However since you have Onkyo 5105's active subwoofer, you wouldn't miss so much (set subwoofer crossover at 100 Hz). After sometime you can add Norge 1000 for another 10k and get another jump in SQ.

2nd Option:
Substitute Usher 520 with Wharfe 9.2 at 14k approx. 9.2's bass extension is unbelievable at this price! (Wharfe 10.1 is reported to have some boomy bass issues and placement problems since its bass reflex ports are at rear... so wouldn't recommend that) + buy Norge 1000 rightaway with savings resulting from not buying Usher 520!

Audition Usher 520 and Wharfe 9.2 BOTH. If you like laid back sound, You may actually find the 9.2 "sufficiently" detailed, and overall a better performer. Whereas people who like more details in treble would like Usher 520.

In Hi-fi, the journey is sometimes more enjoyable than destination. So here's wishing Happy Journey !!! to you.

Regds,

Hi Sonosphere,

How have you connected the same speaker to different amps? r you using the switch?

Dear techgadgets4379,
I don't need to switch the Wharfe 9.2. See below...

Basically my Onkyo setup is the regular 5.1 setup, whereas the Norge is regular 2-channel setup. DVD + Onkyo + Norge setup is as follows:

1. DVD digital coax out ==> Onkyo 5105 (having Onkyo 5.1 speakers for output)
2. DVD front channel analog line out (L/R) ==> Norge 1000 (having Wharfe 9.2 speakers for output)

Sometimes if I want the Norge + Wharfe 9.2 stereo sound to have support of Onkyo Subwoofer, I run Norge and Onkyo (in stereo mode) simultaneously (i disconnect the Onkyo fronts temporarily... I have run this way for as long as 3 hrs without problems like amp or speaker overheating). The drums of Dire Straits songs sound phenomenal with Subwoofer support. Note: I have not noticed any time-lag between output of both setups that may result in stuttering sound (you will get stuttering if Onkyo is running in NEO music mode or similar processing-heavy DSP modes)

In fact the above simultaneous operation also improved the 5.1 channel Movie SQ of front channel considerably (for the obvious reason that Norge delivers better SQ). Because of such setup, I don't need to switch 9.2.

I hope the above serves your query.
Regds,

hey if you're going to listen to a lot of MP3s, steer well clear of the Ushers......they are superbly detailed and your MP3s will sound like absolute crap......in that case go for the Wharfedales.....they are not as detailed or resolving, and are still fun speakers with a nice midrange.

But if you are looking to shift to more lossless music and just want the best possible sound for the money the Ushers are where it's at. And the price is more like 22k.

Hi psychotropic,
Where did you buy you Ushers 520 from? Any idea if they are avaiilable in Pune? I would like to audition them.
Regds,

Dear techgadgets4379,

Basically my Onkyo setup is the regular 5.1 setup, whereas the Norge is regular 2-channel setup. DVD + Onkyo + Norge setup is as follows:

2. DVD front channel analog line out (L/R) ==> Norge 1000 (having Wharfe 9.2 speakers for output)

Sometimes if I want the Norge + Wharfe 9.2 stereo sound to have support of Onkyo Subwoofer, I run Norge and Onkyo (in stereo mode) simultaneously (i disconnect the Onkyo fronts temporarily... I have run this way for as long as 3 hrs without problems like amp or speaker overheating). The drums of Dire Straits songs sound phenomenal with Subwoofer support. Note: I have not noticed any time-lag between output of both setups that may result in stuttering sound (you will get stuttering if Onkyo is running in NEO music mode or similar processing-heavy DSP modes)

In fact the above simultaneous operation also improved the 5.1 channel Movie SQ of front channel considerably (for the obvious reason that Norge delivers better SQ). Because of such setup, I don't need to switch 9.2.

Regds,

What i understand from your setup is that you have onkyo setup as it is and added norge +WF to the existing setup. so you drive both the amps during music by disconnecting the fronts of HTIB so that you get more bass from the sub of Onkyo.

I have read in one of the posts here (didnt find after a lots of search) that we can switch two different amps to connect to the same set of speakers for switching b/w two amps. As i have psace constraints it will be difficult to add 2 more speakers for the stereo setup. So guys out here can help me in this

What i understand from your setup is that you have onkyo setup as it is and added norge +WF to the existing setup. so you drive both the amps during music by disconnecting the fronts of HTIB so that you get more bass from the sub of Onkyo.
Sonosphere: Yes

I have read in one of the posts here (didnt find after a lots of search) that we can switch two different amps to connect to the same set of speakers for switching b/w two amps. As i have psace constraints it will be difficult to add 2 more speakers for the stereo setup. So guys out here can help me in this

Sonosphere: You can use the RCA switch shown in link below to switch your front spkr pair between Onkyo and Norge. This model actually allows switching between 3 sources (each source having 3 independent RCA cables... two for L/R stereo channel + 1 for video). Local version of this switch should be available with a good audio /video equipmt dealer or electronics accessories shop (Ask for MX brand... this is known to Indian shops). You will have to make special speaker cables having RCA jack on one end as required in such setup.
3 Way Audio Video AV RCA Switch Switcher Splitter with Cable

Regds,

Dear techgadgets4379,

Regds,

Will you disconnect the wharf9.2 from the norge? in my case as i have a WDTV as well i need to connect the composite to the norge. This is an interesting piece of advice, will surely try when i have this setup.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back