Speaker suggestions for desktop - budget 30K / $500

Trends

I am not an audiophile but an avid music lover. I primarily like Rock music, jazz, and metal and I like normal balanced sound slightly warm, not a bass head and neither can I stand the too harsh sound

I am looking for a new set of speakers under 30000 INR or $500 then should I get a 2.1 Speaker + USB DAC or 2.0 Bookshelf monitors?

Or any other recommendations in my budget

PS: I have a basic PC setup (i.e. no added Audio Card or DAC)

Hi,

Firstly welcome to HFV.

You can refer to posts under "What Should I buy"....to get a flavour of different speakers, you should visit the dealers around your location and hear different brands....you will get a rough idea on the same.

According then you can list down what fits your expectation in terms of performance, budget, connectivity and share with us....we can guide you further....

From a powered speakers perspective, Swans are good...(2.1).

Always trust your ears as you are the end owner of the system and it has to please your expectations.

I am not an audiophile but an avid music lover. I primarily like Rock music, jazz, and metal and I like normal balanced sound slightly warm, not a bass head and neither can I stand the too harsh sound

I am looking for a new set of speakers under 30000 INR or $500 then should I get a 2.1 Speaker + USB DAC or 2.0 Bookshelf monitors?

PS: I have a basic PC setup (i.e. no added Audio Card or DAC)
If you are abroad, pickup a used genelec. They are pretty reliable being studio monitors. (Since you mentioned $)

If you will use it only with PC and like to keep the connectivity simple, then consider FX Audio M200 E / M160 E / SMSL Q5 Pro / FX Audio D 802 on aliexpress.. These amplifiers have DAC inbuilt, have USB input for PC, very compact and would take less space on your desktop.. Even after duties, it must cost approx 10 ~ 12K..

For the remaining money, choose a smallest / compact BS speaker..

Hi,

Firstly welcome to HFV.

You can refer to posts under "What Should I buy"....to get a flavour of different speakers, you should visit the dealers around your location and hear different brands....you will get a rough idea on the same.

According then you can list down what fits your expectation in terms of performance, budget, connectivity and share with us....we can guide you further....

From a powered speakers perspective, Swans are good...(2.1).

Always trust your ears as you are the end owner of the system and it has to please your expectations.

Hello, Hope you're doing fine.

I tried to visit some stores and every 2nd speaker sound almost same in the store ;) I was interested in Elac, Audio Bronze and WHARFEDALE DIAMOND 225 SPEAKERS but they all need amp and they all need stands for proper positioning and I really don't have an idea about amp and additional amp will surely increase the price as well so I'm leaning towards powered speakers.

I'm considering Thonet & Vander KUGAL 2.0 Bluetooth 140W Active Speakers & Swans MK but according to reviews they lack mid-lows and as well but not sure about the sound quality

If you will use it only with PC and like to keep the connectivity simple, then consider FX Audio M200 E / M160 E / SMSL Q5 Pro / FX Audio D 802 on aliexpress.. These amplifiers have DAC inbuilt, have USB input for PC, very compact and would take less space on your desktop.. Even after duties, it must cost approx 10 ~ 12K..

For the remaining money, choose a smallest / compact BS speaker..

Thank you for your suggestion but I really don't want to use DAC / AMP right now, its not about the budget but more about the convenience.

look at swans, audio engine, XTZ Tune, Edifier.
Some that come to memory for active speakers.

I have not included studio monitors

Look no further than the Swsans M200 models, if it was me then I would always prefer a good 2.0 solution rather than a 2.1.
Split the money between the Swans and a Schiit Modi or something similar, beautiful little setup.
There are some Edifier models available which are worth the look as well, these are cheaper than Swans but sound quite good.

My first set were creative speakers 2.1 they were not costly and sounded absolutely fantastic! With time I moved on to the audioengine A2 .. they are active speakers and sound really good (I still use them with my Sony tv .. not lacking in bass either ), I did add a Yamaha sub to the A2 ..more than fulfilled my needs . With time you can add a usb dac if you need it. I had similar requirements as yours when I started , so maybe this will help.

You can look for JBL LSR 305 or swan active monitors.
both will match very well with your listening preferences.

JBL lsr or Vanatoo will be good. If you want to go real small and with battery I’ve heard good stuff about the mini rig and it can go one, two or 2.1 setup. The mini wouldn’t really be a replacement for the jbl or vanatoo sorts but super convenient!

Hi,

Welcome to the forum.

Looks like you need a simple plug and play near field speakers. The bookshelves you checked, are not near field speakers, not by design in my opinion.

Have you checked out Bose companion 50 and Creative Gigaworks T4W? Both very good desktop speakers and you don't need any additional dac or amp.

MaSh

I would recommend you to go for kanto yu2, they are pretty amazing for their size. And I would avoid swans if you are not going to use a soundcard or dac. But your best bet is to go to an actual store and audition and see for yourself, if it's available in your city that is. DO NOT GO 100% AFTER REVIEWS on the net, most of the time you will be disappointed. Trust me, I have wasted tons of money already over this.

Hello, Hope you're doing fine.

I tried to visit some stores and every 2nd speaker sound almost same in the store ;) I was interested in Elac, Audio Bronze and WHARFEDALE DIAMOND 225 SPEAKERS but they all need amp and they all need stands for proper positioning and I really don't have an idea about amp and additional amp will surely increase the price as well so I'm leaning towards powered speakers.

I'm considering Thonet & Vander KUGAL 2.0 Bluetooth 140W Active Speakers & Swans MK but according to reviews they lack mid-lows and as well but not sure about the sound quality

There are some speakers for sale in the forum.....check.....

Depending on where you are located in India....there are some good options over OLX

If you are abroad, pickup a used genelec. They are pretty reliable being studio monitors. (Since you mentioned $)
I second a used genelec. Damn robust. But at 300 bucks, you would only get 6xxx or 8020 (if lucky) series of at the best 1029. Get the 1029 at this price if someone's selling it. :)

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back