Speaker wire recommendation needed

Michelangalo

Hi, I am keeping a budget of 1500-2500 for 25-30m OFC speaker wire. Based on the budget I have shortlisted few

1. DAC 16awg OFC speaker wire 30m cost- 3100
2. Amazon Basic 14 Awg 30m cost -2600
3. C&E 16 AWG wire 30m cost 2700

Please suggest something from the above. Also open for any better suggestions you might have. Please dont suggest anything that's above the mentioned budget. I don't want to spend a bomb on speaker wires.

Is it okay to use different brands speaker wires.
For reference I am using Stackfine 16AWG OFC speaker wire for the front which I got free with the speakers. Is it okay if I use a different brand wire for the center and rear speakers?

I was using Kasper 13AWG and now moved to Amazon Basics 12AWG as the kasper I had was in different lengths.
I felt the Amazon 12AWG is good only.

Hi, I am keeping a budget of 1500-2500 for 25-30m OFC speaker wire. Based on the budget I have shortlisted few

1. DAC 16awg OFC speaker wire 30m cost- 3100
2. Amazon Basic 14 Awg 30m cost -2600
3. C&E 16 AWG wire 30m cost 2700

Please suggest something from the above. Also open for any better suggestions you might have. Please dont suggest anything that's above the mentioned budget. I don't want to spend a bomb on speaker wires.

Is it okay to use different brands speaker wires.
For reference I am using Stackfine 16AWG OFC speaker wire for the front which I got free with the speakers. Is it okay if I use a different brand wire for the center and rear speakers?
I'm using C&E 12awg for HT speakers including Atmos ; go for 12awg minimum, it's onetime investment

if the wires are concealed (or ugly looking wires are not a concern) , nothing will beat polycab/finolex 2.5sq mm

It’s copper (and not copper coated aluminum), has extremely low resistance per meter , 50+ strands (keeping inductance and capacitance low) and is the equivalent of 14 gauge at the princely price of 20 Rs a meter (make it 40 actually as it’s sold as a single wire)

If the run distance is more than 10m , esp for the LCR, you can opt for the 4sq mm variant

if the wires are concealed (or ugly looking wires are not a concern) , nothing will beat polycab/finolex 2.5sq mm

It’s copper (and not copper coated aluminum), has extremely low resistance per meter , 50+ strands (keeping inductance and capacitance low) and is the equivalent of 14 gauge at the princely price of 20 Rs a meter (make it 40 actually as it’s sold as a single wire)

If the run distance is more than 10m , esp for the LCR, you can opt for the 4sq mm variant
2.5 sq mm is approx 13AWG.
I have been using Finolex in 3 rigs.
No complaint

Cheers,
Raghu

2.5 sq mm is approx 13AWG.
I have been using Finolex in 3 rigs.
No complaint

Cheers,
Raghu
Can we use the electrical wires as speaker wires?? Are those better than the ones that are sold as Speaker wires? If that’s the case, I have couple of meters of Polycab wires lying around and I would be glad to try them out.

Electrical wire is copper. Finolex/polycab are ofc. Use them and hear the speakers out.
Cheers,
Raghu

Between Polycab and Finolex which one is recommended for making an extension board of 2m.

Can we use the electrical wires as speaker wires?? Are those better than the ones that are sold as Speaker wires? If that’s the case, I have couple of meters of Polycab wires lying around and I would be glad to try them out.
You will find other esoteric philosophies on this but scientifically speaking, speaker wires are also electrical wires the same way as finolex / polycab wires are.
Speaker wires are however paired for convenience while the latter aren't.
And yes, your spare polycab wires will work.
If you do want an over-engineered solution (and i mean it in a good way), get a fresh set of thick 2.5mm (or 4mm) wires unless you know your spare wires are the same spec or better

You will find other esoteric philosophies on this but scientifically speaking, speaker wires are also electrical wires the same way as finolex / polycab wires are.
Speaker wires are however paired for convenience while the latter aren't.
And yes, your spare polycab wires will work.
If you do want an over-engineered solution (and i mean it in a good way), get a fresh set of thick 2.5mm (or 4mm) wires unless you know your spare wires are the same spec or better
Got it. I will give it a try and see. Since now it’s work from home for me I’ll do it and see.
I do have one thing that’s stuck in my mind for sometime.
I read in several other forums that the speaker wires have to be of same lengths. For e.g the front L & R speakers need to have equally long and not 1 short than the other. If my AVR is closer to the Left Ch, then is it that I cannot have 1 wire of 3 feet abs the other 10 feet.
is that theory right and also I have also read discussions on having at least 2.5mts as minimum cable lengths.
plesse advise.

Got it. I will give it a try and see. Since now it’s work from home for me I’ll do it and see.
I read in several other forums that the speaker wires have to be of same lengths. For e.g the front L & R speakers need to have equally long and not 1 short than the other. If my AVR is closer to the Left Ch, then is it that I cannot have 1 wire of 3 feet abs the other 10 feet.
is that theory right and also I have also read discussions on having at least 2.5mts as minimum cable lengths.
plesse advise.
It’s a rule of thumb in that you want the wires to roughly be the same length.
This is done to ensure that resistive losses remain approx equal so that one speaker doesn’t sound louder than the other.

It’s ok to have say 5 meters for L and 6 for R.
What you don’t want is say 1 meter for L and 25 m for R.

Having said that , any differences on account of unequal cable lengths will be very subtle and can always be corrected through the gain control on your AVR.
So if someone has already wired with unequal lengths and put the cables in a conduit, it would not be worthwhile to re-wire but for a fresh setup, you might as well keep ém equal

And no for the latter, you can keep your cable lengths as short as you want

polycab/finolex 2.5sq mm
Polycab 1.5 sqmm actually sounds dyanamic than 2.5 or higher guage when compared side by side.
I can suggest ICE cables which l heard with Pioneer LX303 and Dali speakers.For the price, they sounded good.
Yes, wires are wires.Only final sound quality which can matter.Most of Cinema Halls use electric cables for their speakers.

Last edited by a moderator:
plesse advise.
This is to accommodate any future placement changes.
2.5m (6-8 ft) is a reasonable length to allow sufficient slack on the wire.
If asymmetric lengths, keep it within 1-2 feet difference for your sanity.
With electrical wire, you have the advantage of doubling up to increase gauge if needed.
This is assuming you have enough wire

Cheers,
Raghu

Last edited:
Yes, wires are wires.Only final sound quality which can matter.Most of Cinema Halls use electric cables for their speakers.
This is something new i learnt. I always believed the multiplexes used expensive speaker grade wires to run such setups.

This is something new i learnt. I always believed the multiplexes used expensive speaker grade wires to run such setups.
In the professional world, things work differently.
Cost to benefit ratio is very important.
And ruggedness, replacability is a factor too.
Cheers,
Raghu

can we mix 2 types or wiring? I am planning to use amazon basic 12awg for ear level speaker and polycab 2mm double core electric wire for all overhead wiring.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back