Speakers for Denon 2309I

KrishMK

Hello all,

I am new to the forum. Live in Bangalore. I received a new Denon AVR 2309I. This is a US Model operating at 120V. Believe this model was launched Mid July 08' in US & Canada.

AV Reciever Details -

1) Works as 7.1 or 5.1 + Zone 2 with 2 Channels.
2) 100 RMS / Channel

My interest would be 50-50 on Music and Movies. The type of Music I like is Classical & Instrumental.

What make of speakers best match Denon ?

I am considering a 5.1 setup. Budget is 50-60K Max.

Learning question -

Could I buy a pair of good Floor Standing Speakers that are Bi-Amp capable and feed signal of 4 channels into them? I am wondering if this is possible, I can forgo 2 channels and use the set up of 5.1.

Thanks in advance.
Krish

Hello all,

My interest would be 50-50 on Music and Movies. The type of Music I like is Classical & Instrumental.

What make of speakers best match Denon ?

I am considering a 5.1 setup. Budget is 50-60K Max.

Learning question -

Could I buy a pair of good Floor Standing Speakers that are Bi-Amp capable and feed signal of 4 channels into them? I am wondering if this is possible, I can forgo 2 channels and use the set up of 5.1.

Thanks in advance.
Krish

Krish.

Welcome to the forum. As I said to a lot of others please do stay on and keep in touch. If you do not like technology too much, you can participate in the 'Right now I am now listening to', and the discussion on movies.

Congratulations on the Denon 2309. It is an excellent receiver that has been built up on the award winning 2308.

Who makes the best speakers that match Denon? Maybe only Denon can answer this question !!!! Kidding aside any good brand should go well with Denon. Just look for speakers that can handle upto 100 odd watts. Some of the brands that you can look for are Wharfedale, Klipsch, Jamo, Mordaunt-Short, KEF, Acoustic Energy, Dynaudio. B&W, Mission, Quad, Polk Audio.... the list is quite long.

if you are going to listen to Classical and Instruments, it would make sense to buy floor standers for Front R & L. Support this with a center channel, a sub, and two surrounds, and you are all set.

Regarding bi-amping the fronts - yes, with the 2309 you can bi-amp the fronts. Generally you should connect the Front L&R terminals to the tweeter/midrange of the speakers, and the Surround Back L&R terminals to the woofers of the speakers. Please do check the 2309 manual to see how exactly this is done, what settings you have to take care of in the AVR to enable this biamping.

Cheers

Krish.

Welcome to the forum. As I said to a lot of others please do stay on and keep in touch. If you do not like technology too much, you can participate in the 'Right now I am now listening to', and the discussion on movies.

Congratulations on the Denon 2309. It is an excellent receiver that has been built up on the award winning 2308.

Who makes the best speakers that match Denon? Maybe only Denon can answer this question !!!! Kidding aside any good brand should go well with Denon. Just look for speakers that can handle upto 100 odd watts. Some of the brands that you can look for are Wharfedale, Klipsch, Jamo, Mordaunt-Short, KEF, Acoustic Energy, Dynaudio. B&W, Mission, Quad, Polk Audio.... the list is quite long.

if you are going to listen to Classical and Instruments, it would make sense to buy floor standers for Front R & L. Support this with a center channel, a sub, and two surrounds, and you are all set.

Regarding bi-amping the fronts - yes, with the 2309 you can bi-amp the fronts. Generally you should connect the Front L&R terminals to the tweeter/midrange of the speakers, and the Surround Back L&R terminals to the woofers of the speakers. Please do check the 2309 manual to see how exactly this is done, what settings you have to take care of in the AVR to enable this biamping.

Cheers

Hi,
Why not Tannoy mercury F1 awarded by HiFi?

Thank you Venkat and Spiro. Had first audition with Wharefedale 9.6 at Vector. They sounded good. Another audition with the same setup this Sunday.

Wharefedale Sub 150 sounded out of place. I tried their 250 as well. This too didnt bring out the depth in Movies. Interestingly, we tried Sub from B&W. Its a 150 RMS. The depth was good with this. Or may be my ears have just begun to train :)

The variance is price is rathe steep between WD 150<Listed price around 19K> and B&W<43K> tho.

The guys at Profx didnt seem to care for business...They didnt have the Monitor 70's in the showroom for demo. Inspite of me asking to visit them last Sunday, they couldnt confirm if they could get the Floor Standers from their Stockyard!

I believe my journey just began. More to learn and discover.

Cheers
Krish

The guys at Profx didnt seem to care for business...They didnt have the Monitor 70's in the showroom for demo. Inspite of me asking to visit them last Sunday, they couldnt confirm if they could get the Floor Standers from their Stockyard!

I believe my journey just began. More to learn and discover.

Cheers
Krish

You are absolutely right. This is indeed a long journey, but one in which you will, if you have the will and patience, learn something new all the way.

When you go through a series of auditioning, you will tend to forget. I will seriously suggest you make notes along the way, particularly on the CDs/DVDs you used, and what note was missing or audible in each audition. I have set aside a set of DVDs and CDs just for this purpose, and I have heard and seen them many many times, and I know exactly what is there in each CD/DVD, Even then, I am surprised many times by what is missing or what new note I hear, or what I see.

We are here to help you. Please do keep giving us feedback on your audition and I am sure you will end up buying speakers that will bring a smile to your face.

I have mentioned it many times before, but here it goes again. Please take your own CDs and DVDs for audition. Even if you have to throw them away at the end of the process, it is worth it.

An most important of all - Patience.

Cheers

Hi Krish,

I was in exactly a similar position until a few days ago. Joined this forum for advice on speakers, receivers and my experience with local dealers. Got really sound advice from Venkatcr, Gopi and others.

I have finally decided on Wharfedale Diamond 9.6 speaker system with a PC 12+ Subwoofer for the Denon AVR 1909 receiver I am planning to buy.

Had a demo at Vector. My requirements are rather contrasty. I listen to Classical music and watch Action movies. After auditioning Polk Audio Monitor series, KEF KHT 3005, Focal, Boston Accoustics etc, I finally decided on the Wharfedales. The KEF speakers were truly excelent but after some thought, I decided on a Tower speaker setup.

Got a deal for 80k for the speakers with an additional pair of 9DFS BIPOLAR speakers for rear surround too from Vector.

I am waiting for the system to be set up and hope to have a good time.

Hi Kumar,

Good to know you bought from Vector. The guy there is Srinivas at Banjara Hills, Nagarjuna Circle, right. I too have been on the lookout for a good system. I had a thread on amplifier but now looking for 5.1 reciever - a very basic one. Mostly, yamaha - RX v463 or v363 - that shall suffice presently. Do not need HDMI and 7.1. I do not have that kind of money to play too. Denon 1909 is solid mate.

My request is to know KEF good(you said you heard it).

Did you hear Definitive speakers too(mostly for movies), JBL E60, KEF iQ9. Yamaha speakers. Which of these do you think will be good floorstanding. I would want to go for a floorstanding now with yamaha receiver I mentioned.

Senior guys, I see you are in different states and am specifically asking Kumar because he seen and heard those at Vector systems or some other place. I have not been to Sound Room. I will soon. I just been to a new job and need 15 -25 days to settle.

And yes how much would Wharfdale 9.6 cost - My highest budget can ne 50K.

Any other suggestions.

Thanks

Hi Anooj,

Senior guys like me, you said. Hey. I am a novice in this field. I just had a lilttle money I thought I'd spend on a good Home Theater setup that suits both music and movies. My original budget was abt 20k for the receiver and 30k for the speakers. I haven't even heard abt most of the good brands like KEF, Quad, Dali, Tannoy, Wharfedale, Focal, Boston Accoustics, Polk, Monitor Audio etc etc until I have joined this forum. All I knew was Sony, Panasonic, Pioneer. My main passion is Photography and I can claim some knowledge in it. However, I have this habit buying things after I read reviews - both expert and user - about the product and try to personally try it out before I finally buy anything.

I just stumbled onto this website during my quest for info on Home Theaters. It was only on the good advice of people like Venkatcr, Gopi and others that I came to know abt these brands and more importantly that I coud audition most of them at Hyderabad itself. It came as a pleasant surprise for me and I went to a couple of shops and had the pleasure of listening to them. Believe me, initially everything sounded gr8 to me. Even now, I really don't know much abt these things.

I have even had a very unplesant experience at Sound & Vision where I went to have a look at Quad L-ite speakers as suggested by Gopi on this forum. The man who gives demos there mistook me for someone he had had an arguement with a few months ago. He was very cold and almost looked down on me as I was not even worth a demo. I walked out. Of course, I lost nothing and they lost a client.

All I can tell you is that, I have had the opportunity to listen to some of these brands. KEF KHT 3005. Its a truly gr8 set of speakers. But there were only 2 satellite, 1 center and the subwoofer at PRo FX in Babukhan Mall, Hyderabad. In spite of that, I was just fascinated by the sound. It was so clear and melodious. Only thing was that I felt that the subwoofer could give a little more bass. Moreover, they cost 95k which at the time was beyond my budget. I then auditioned the Monitor series and found them giving better sound (???) because of the Tower speakers. Mr. Chandrasekhar of ProFx was very helpful.

Next, I auditoned quite a few Towers including Jamo - I don't remember the model - and Boston Accoustics at Pune while on a visit there. No. I haven't had the chance to audition Definitive.

I finally read some reviews on Whafredale Diamond 9.6. I found info on this site abt the Distributor for Wharfedale in Mumbai, Mr. Kshitij. He was real courteous and directed me to Mr. Sesha Reddy at Vector, Hyderabad. It was yet another surprise for me. I called him up and went to their shop at Nagarjuna Circle where I was given a demo by the very efficient Mr. Srinivas. It didn't take me very long to decide that I should go in for the Wharfedale 9.6 Tower speakers, 9CM center, 9DFS surrounds for the sides and rear and the PC 12+ subwoofer. I got the 7.1 set for 80k after some discount. Getting the Denon AVR 1909 for 28k here was another pleasant surprise.

So, that's my journey. I am eagerly awaiting delivery.

My quest for a good Home Theater setup has finally ended. I really don't know if some of the audiophiles on the forum would approve of my choice but I feel I have found what I need.

Good luck to you. But let me warn you. Its not going to be easy. Try to loosen your purse strings a little. I had to literally split open my wallet, doubling my budget. Hahaha. Happy hunting.

Eswar.

Last edited:
Hi Kumar,

Nice to see your reply. Please don't mind me asking but is it really 28K for 1909 because it is still $649 MRP on Denon website and then will it not be atleast 40K here. I did not see these models on PROFX site, so I am asking beacause they are authorized dealers right?

Hey, in another post I had mentioned my visit to Vector as soon as I saw your mail. But Srinivas quoted me 80K for 5.1 yaar, I did not ask for discount, I will see.

Anyways, you are right on choosing the speakers Kumar. Like you I too listened to KEF(other brand) but not Polk at Babukhan Mall. My problem is I am not able to differentiate the better, all seem good except fot price differences. So unable to decide. The other issue being if not buy now then never.

Hey, do post your pics Kumar and hopefully I shall buy a 2.1 setup soon atleast.

Enjoy mate.

regards

Hi Kumar,

Nice to see your reply. Please don't mind me asking but is it really 28K for 1909 because it is still $649 MRP on Denon website and then will it not be atleast 40K here. I did not see these models on PROFX site, so I am asking beacause they are authorized dealers right?

Hey, in another post I had mentioned my visit to Vector as soon as I saw your mail. But Srinivas quoted me 80K for 5.1 yaar, I did not ask for discount, I will see.

Anyways, you are right on choosing the speakers Kumar. Like you I too listened to KEF(other brand) but not Polk at Babukhan Mall. My problem is I am not able to differentiate the better, all seem good except for price differences. So unable to decide. The other issue being if not buy now then never.

Hey, do post your pics Kumar and hopefully I shall buy a 2.1 setup soon atleast.

Enjoy mate.

regards

Anooj,

I got the 7.1 system after a bit of bargaining. Reg the Denon, that's in the grey market.

Where do you live? If in Hyderabad, you are welcome to visit my place in a week's time. Then you can see my pics as you listen to music.

Call me on 9866634439.

My quest for a good Home Theater setup has finally ended. I really don't know if some of the audiophiles on the forum would approve of my choice but I feel I have found what I need.
Eswar.

Easwar:

Denon and Wharfedales are excellent choices. They are very safe and have no risks at all. They will give you years of fun. These are brands that have been around for years and have consistently improved their technology and delivered outstanding products to the market. The Denon, in particular will sound very good for both music and movies, and will lean a bit more towards music as compared to other brands.

You should look forward to receiving the units with a sure knowledge that you have purchased some beautiful equipment.

Have you decided on your cables and connectors? Are the dealers helping you?

Cheers

Denon and Wharfedales are excellent choices. They are very safe and have no risks at all. They will give you years of fun. These are brands that have been around for years and have consistently improved their technology and delivered outstanding products to the market. The Denon, in particular will sound very good for both music and movies, and will lean a bit more towards music as compared to other brands.

Couldn't agree with you more!

Hi Venkat and 'Unleashme',

Thanks. I am indeed happy that I have made a reasonably correct decision. I am sure that I would have a very enjoyable experience for a long time. Yes, Venkat. Mr. Srinivas of Vector suggested DAC cables. 14 guage (Rs.65 per meter) for the two Towers and 16 guage (Rs.45 per meter) for the surrounds and a subwoofer cable (brand not specified) for around 1k.

I would be glad to have any suggestions on the cables and connectors. Not "monstrously" expensive. Anything reasonable. Please recommend some good cables and connectors.

I am trying to get some HDMI cables from the US through a friend. Hope they reach me by the time the receiver and speakers are delivered.

Best regards,

Eswar.

Hi Venkat and 'Unleashme',

Thanks. I am indeed happy that I have made a reasonably correct decision. I am sure that I would have a very enjoyable experience for a long time. Yes, Venkat. Mr. Srinivas of Vector suggested DAC cables. 14 guage (Rs.65 per meter) for the two Towers and 16 guage (Rs.45 per meter) for the surrounds and a subwoofer cable (brand not specified) for around 1k.

I am trying to get some HDMI cables from the US through a friend. Hope they reach me by the time the receiver and speakers are delivered.

Eswar.

DAC cables are reasonably good. Just use the 16 or 14 gauge all along. Why use two different gauges? You will not save much. DAC also makes both sub woofer and HDMI cables.

Another cable that is not too expensive and available in India is Bandridge. ProFx also sell QED which is another good brand. You may be able to pick up some good connectors, sub woofer HDMI cables, etc from them.

Actually all brands such as Ecosse, Van den Hul, Monster, etc are all available in India.

Cheers

Venkat,

Thanks again for the info. Could you tell me the prices of say, 16 guage cables of the brands you have cited and if possible, the shops where I can get them in Hyderabad.

Pro Fx sells QED and Vector sells Monster and DAC.

Hello Venkat,

I am needing to travel out of country for couple of weeks. Is it acceptable for you to share you private IM addy? Mine is [email protected] Would like to seek your advise on some stuff I could consider looking up to buy while I am there, off line with out bothering other members following this chain. If you are unable to, understand and respect your need for privacy.

Cheers
Krish

Hi Kumar,

Im suprised to hear Denon 1909 is 28K in grey market. Can you advise where can i get it in chennai. I am planning to get polk audio RM 6750 or RM 705 do you have any feedback for these. Please help me whether im on right track. I Can have only satellite speakers and 25 - 30K max budget for speakers.

Thanks in advance,
Sridhar S.

Anooj,

I got the 7.1 system after a bit of bargaining. Reg the Denon, that's in the grey market.

Where do you live? If in Hyderabad, you are welcome to visit my place in a week's time. Then you can see my pics as you listen to music.

Call me on 9866634439.

Back