Speakers for Denon 590 / 1610?

vebk

Hi all,

I'm planning to get a Denon AVR-509 (almost same as 1610) receiver from the States (as a gift). Since 5.1 is more than enough, I thought there's no point of looking at the higher models like the 790 / 1910. (Room size is 20ft x 13ft)

As carrying speakers / sub-woofers would be a problem, I am considering getting those locally itself, or at least the sub. So would love to get suggestions from you guys on the following alternatives:

1. Option 1: Speakers from US: 5 speakers (center, front, rear) within $150. Size has to be compact for easy transportation. Subwoofer from India: Budget 8-10K max.
  2. Option 2: Everything from India: 5 speakers (center, front, rear) + subwoofer within Rs. 15-20k. Size has to be compact (i.e. wall mounted) for rear speakers, but center, front can be floor speakers or wall mounted.

Usage-wise: 40% Movies, 40% Gaming (ps3, HTPC - both through HDMI), 20% music. The receiver would be hooked up via single HDMI cable to a LCD/Plasma yet to be purchased.

Also, if there are any places in Delhi (preferably, South Delhi) where I can audition them, there would be nothing like it!!!

If you stretch the budget a bit, Energy Take 5.0 is available for $200 or less.

On the other hand, forum members will most likely recommend buying a decent 2.0 speaker set in your current budget and then add the rest of the speakers as and when you have the budget.

If you are not likely to spend additional amount on the setup for a year or two, get one of the HTiBs ~30k, not sure if you have an option of getting a gift locally from your donor.

Getting a gift locally is not really an option. Apart from that anyway, the price difference is too big to ignore even if it was an option.

I checked out the Energy Take 5.0 - going for $150 on newegg with free shipping - fits perfectly into my budget, and reviews everywhere are raving about them, which is always good! But, I found this in one review:
These are NOT the Take-5's reviewed so highly in 2001/2002. The originals were made in Canada, had three drivers in the center speaker and better drivers in the satellites, and could could get quite loud without distortion (good for action movies). I know, I have a set of those. The ones you see here are made in China to rather lower specs. My friend bought these because he liked mine and hoped these would be equally good-- but they aren't.
Hmmmmmmm... any comment?

After spending so much time reading up on this forum and others, I am afraid a HTiB just won't cut it!! :p I don't really want to upgrade in steps either. While I am far from being an audiophile, I have ears good enough to know that HTiBs the like of sony/lg/samsung etc. are not good enough. Hence the decision to go the Denon way.

Thanks, skumar for the Energy Take 5.0 suggestion - it perfectly fits my requirements! (cheap, good and transportable!)

Any other suggestions, people (locally or form the U.S.? Also what about the subwoofer? Is 8-10k not doable?

Last edited:
After spending so much time reading up on this forum and others, I am afraid a HTiB just won't cut it!! :p I don't really want to upgrade in steps either. While I am far from being an audiophile, I have ears good enough to know that HTiBs the like of sony/lg/samsung etc. are not good enough. Hence the decision to go the Denon way.

Thanks, skumar for the Energy Take 5.0 suggestion - it perfectly fits my requirements! (cheap, good and transportable!)

Any other suggestions, people (locally or form the U.S.? Also what about the subwoofer? Is 8-10k not doable?

You will get HTiBs from Onkyo/Yamaha/JBL+HK for ~30k, they have a decent AVR and basic speakers+sub...

I think you will get a polk sub for ~12k, a basic Onkyo one ~10k from their brand shops...

You will get HTiBs from Onkyo/Yamaha/JBL+HK for ~30k, they have a decent AVR and basic speakers+sub...
As I am trying to get these as a gift from the States, it doesn't make sense (Can't expect someone to carry a sub! receiver and speakers are bad enough).

I think you will get a polk sub for ~12k, a basic Onkyo one ~10k from their brand shops...
Any particular models I should try? Also, any recommended place in Delhi I can audition them?

Jamo A102 Sub Sat 5.1 package would fulfill all your needs. You can audition the same at Cinebels showroom at Jamroodpur, in south Delhi, but please take an appointment with them prior to showing up there. The package cost around 25K, and they are also whathifi award winner in the budget catogory.
Please contact cinebell or Decibels India Private Limited at: Welcome to Cinebels....The JAMO Shop

To look at the specifications of the package take at look at this page:
A 102 HCS 5 Home Cinema Systems - Description

^ Ok Cool! Will check them out! As of now (since I need to take this decision in the next day or so), I am probably going to ask for the Denon 590 and Energy Take 5.0 as a gift (since they can both be easily carried), and buy a sub here. However, if that doesn't work out, I will look at the Jamo A102.

Thanks, guys!!

Ok guys, I have got the Denon 590 as well as Energy take 5.0 speakers. I have not installed them yet, as still have to purchase a subwoofer etc.

So in the budget of about 10-12k, what is the best subwoofer I can get (in Delhi) to complement this setup?

To remind you my usage would be 40% Movies, 40% Gaming (ps3, HTPC - both through HDMI), 20% music. The receiver would be hooked up via single HDMI cable to a LCD/Plasma yet to be purchased.

Edit: I need to buy this in the next day or two so it would be great if I can get some fast comments!! :signthankspin:

Last edited:
The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back