Speakers for Marantz PM5004

rdevakumar

I am looking for your comments and suggestions for bookshelf speakers. My setup is Source: PC, BDP - DAC: NuForce uDac2, Schitt Bfrost - Amp: Marantz PM5004. I mostly listen Indian movie songs (ARR, Illayaraja), few instrumentals. My room size is 12x12. I don't have very good speaker positioning near wall, but not very bad positioning also. No stand. Budget is 30K (preferable) to 50K Max. I don't listen in high volumes and also don't need earth shattering Bass. I like the sound to be more clear, detailed, good vocals and decent / tight / room filling bass.

I want to audition only few and decide quickly (Mostly i will upgrade by another two years). For now I have shortlisted the below based on various posts in the forum.
- Wharfedale 122 (I may go for a blind by in HiFiMart if if am not getting any good audition or time)
- Monitor Audio BX2

I am in Hyderabad and I am planning to call and check with Vector system and the Audio people who are near to my place. Please suggest me any other show room and also any other speakers which are worth checking. I am open for checking / getting used ones also.

I don't have very good speaker positioning near wall, but not very bad positioning also.

what does this mean ? :lol:

typical way of saying neither good nor bad neither black nor white..\

We love the gray dont we ?? ;)

BTW... there is a Boston Acoustics A26 on sale on the forum... do check it out..

regards

Try the Wharfdale 200 series.. I loved it

What is the exact difference between 100, 200, 10x series? Apart from few review i have read, one of the reason for 122 is the bigger bass driver (165mm).

what does this mean ? :lol:

typical way of saying neither good nor bad neither black nor white..\

We love the gray dont we ?? ;)

BTW... there is a Boston Acoustics A26 on sale on the forum... do check it out..

regards

Yeah... :eek:

My living room doesn't have place for a stand and the speaker need to be placed in the TV unit, where I don't have much option to do distance adjustment. Also, I will move the speaker to my study room whenever needed, where I have to keep the speaker in the 'book shelf', so I prefer a speaker which has minimum dependency on the placement / wall etc.

rdevakumar,

unfortunately most speakers like free space around them..

Can you consider going in for a powered speaker system like Audioengine A2 / A5 etc..?

the latest models have inbuilt dacs too...

you can then sell the amp and use it to fund something like this..

FM Jaibir in bangalore went in for Presonus Eris... and this seems to be available online..

I must confess - i havent heard them but i was only pointing you to an idea.

You must decide with your ears and your budget.

The Boston A26 is a nice one to try as well..

regards

rdevakumar,

unfortunately most speakers like free space around them..

Can you consider going in for a powered speaker system like Audioengine A2 / A5 etc..?

The Boston A26 is a nice one to try as well..

regards

Thanks for your suggestions. I already have Audioengine A5 (previous generation), now I want a speaker which should be one or two step above that. At present I have Marantz PM5004 and a Pioneer Vintage Amp (A103 I suppose), but I can upgrade the Amp next year as needed. I will check if I can get Audition of Boston A26 also.

Meantime, I called the Audio People and they confirmed the availability of MA BX2. Vector system doesn't have Wharefadale for Audition, but they said they can buy if I order. But I want to see the possibility audition before deciding.

Vector system has B&W 685 for Audition. I heard great reviews about them... really temping, but price is high. I will try Audition to see if I see much difference between MA BX2 / Wharefadale.

Better if you can you post a pic of the full wall where the TV cabinet is located and a room layout.
You could check out Dali Zensor range also.

I am looking for your comments and suggestions for bookshelf speakers. My setup is Source: PC, BDP - DAC: NuForce uDac2, Schitt Bfrost - Amp: Marantz PM5004.

:) have something similar including problematic room. So I'd suggest that the Dali Zensor is something you should give a listen

ciao
gr

Got message from The Audio People that they have only MA BX1 now and no BX2. I checked with SMB and also Sound & Vision, but no option of Audition for Wharfedale. Couldn't get any dealer for Dali Zensor too. Very disappointing. Have to decide on whether to wait and check in Chennai / Bangalore sometime or to go for a blind buy. For blind buy would prefer a used one so that cost implication will be less in case if i don't like.

You can ask them to get one shipped from UK. Alternatively, you could go for MA Bronze 2s. It might cost you a couple of thousands extra.

I am looking for your comments and suggestions for bookshelf speakers. My setup is Source: PC, BDP - DAC: NuForce uDac2, Schitt Bfrost - Amp: Marantz PM5004. I mostly listen Indian movie songs (ARR, Illayaraja), few instrumentals. My room size is 12x12. I don't have very good speaker positioning near wall, but not very bad positioning also. No stand. Budget is 30K (preferable) to 50K Max. I don't listen in high volumes and also don't need earth shattering Bass. I like the sound to be more clear, detailed, good vocals and decent / tight / room filling bass.

I want to audition only few and decide quickly (Mostly i will upgrade by another two years). For now I have shortlisted the below based on various posts in the forum.
- Wharfedale 122 (I may go for a blind by in HiFiMart if if am not getting any good audition or time)
- Monitor Audio BX2

I am in Hyderabad and I am planning to call and check with Vector system and the Audio people who are near to my place. Please suggest me any other show room and also any other speakers which are worth checking. I am open for checking / getting used ones also.

Buy the wharfedale diamond 220,hard to get better deal than this speaker unless you are buying used.I got a monitr audio radius 90 used which i use with marantz pm 5004 and schiit modi,yet to hear a speaker under 50k that can compete with the radius 90.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I am planning a visit to Chennai / Bangalore this month end and will try for Audition there. Till that time i will check for any pre-owned options which i can go for blind buy. There is still some chance i may go for a blind buy for new one also :)

Attached the picture of my study / bed room where i am planning to keep the speakers and move the A5 near to TV.

Attachments

• Shelf1.jpg
    Shelf1.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 135
Q acoustic 2020 or 2010 also will do the fantastic job.

I have both wharfdale 122 & q acoustic
Q Acoustic you is way better

Just go & listen

You can check out Pioneer Andrew Jones range. BS will cost around 10 k and FS will cost twice that.I used it withmy 5004. Very good VFM.

Completed my entry level setup with KEF Q300 today :yahoo:

Below is the brief summary of my audition journey. It is not a detailed audition. Just carried one CD, with around 6 songs of different kind i listen mostly (created the CD from my FLAC collection).

1. The Audio People, Chennai - MA BX2, RX2. Ruled out BX2, but kind of liked RX2. But cost factor put me in hold. Very friendly environment and very courteous. The amplified used is AudioLab i suppose (dont' remember correctly)

2. Vipul Audio, Chennai - Dali Zensor 3. Initially paired with Norge and then changed to Yamaha RSXXX which sounds little better. It is ok for the price point, but still put the decision on hold. Praveen is very helpful and patiently explained many queries i had. I would be going again here for renovating our 40 years old Philips stereo speakers.

3. Suppose to audition a used Dynaaudio Exite X12 in Chennai from a sale reference (hifiads), but couldn't get time

Then back to Hyderabad....

1. Called Vector system for B&W 685 S2, which i inquired earlier. But got a reply that it is not available anymore. From the two phone conversation i had with them, somehow felt they are not that friendly or not willing to spend time for low end systems.

2. Want to check KEF 300 as a last option and sent a mail to profx asked for contact details in Hyderabad (somehow missed to see the details in their website). Next day got a call from a person from Hyderabad (hometheatreindia.com, ProFx dealers in Hyderabad).

Fixed the appointment for audition. This time i carried my amplifier also along with CDs. They were very helpful in audition and spent more than 30 minutes. Almost decided to buy there itself but not able to finalize the price that day (they have some dependency with ProFX for this). Next day spoke with them again over phone and then sent the advance amount through online transfer. After 3 days, got the speakers today...

Marantz + KEF Q300 combination sounds good to me and suited well to my taste more than the other speakers i auditioned.

My source is Laptop, iPod Touch (iPod connects through logitech bluetooth receiver). I am currently using NuForce uDac 2 with Laptop. I have to get my other DAC (schiit bifrost uber) next month from Chennai which i am sure will improve the sound significantly (as i experienced before with my other setups at home)

Thanks everyone for your input and suggestions. I hope i will have this system atleast for another two years till i save money for next upgrade :eek:hyeah:

Few pictures. Dont' have a good placement in the current place, need to live with till i move back to home town...

Attachments

• P1.jpg
    P1.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 39
  • P2.jpg
    P2.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 39
  • P3.jpg
    P3.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 39
this is excellent stuff... am very happy for you.

The thing is you took the trouble to audition and take your amp and decide and that adds to the feeling of a job well done.

Enjoy your music !

regards

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back