Speakers for Norge 1000

siva2886

Hi,

I have placed an order for Norge 1000 4 days back and may recieve it any time. Now, I have to decide a pair of speakers for them.

Criteria:
1. Budget - 15-16k
2. Sound should be almost neutral (no heavy bass nor treble, but everything
should be present - atleast 45hz to 18khz :).) We may use them for
monitoring our mixes at times.
3. I prefer floorstanders over bookshelves.
4. Room size is 10x10 ft.

Please suggest a pair of speakers. Thanks in Advance.

Hi,

I have placed an order for Norge 1000 4 days back and may recieve it any time. Now, I have to decide a pair of speakers for them.

Criteria:
1. Budget - 15-16k

For u best bet is Mission m34i, followed by Wharfe9.2/Tannoy F1 Custom.

okay i would have suggested the m32 actually - BS and perform very well. So are wharfdale 9.2 that go well with norge 1000 (which i have seen multiple times actually). M34 would go along well too (great overall speaker).

Tannoy F1 is a good option but i have never heard it with Norge.

Mos importantly i understand the fascination for FS over BS - but for a 10x10 room, FS would be a constraint. Would sound boomy. Even in my 18x16 room, the m35 that i have demand more room - the soundstage is overwhelming, a little boomines with certain tracks does creep in because of less than ideal positioning of speakers (one very close to side wall junction, another next to a open door)

Hi Siva

Go thru the below mentioned thread where someone has shared his first experiences with Norge 1000 and Mission M35i.

http://www.hifivision.com/speakers/5162-mission-m35i-norge-1000-first-experiences.html

Hi,

Criteria:
1. Budget - 15-16k

Do these fall in my budget of 15 to 16k?
And by the way, am based in Chennai.

m34 is 16-17k
wharf 9.2 is around 15-16k
Tannoy F1 is slightly over that range IMHO (connect wth spiro - he can tell you better wrt the F1) - it is cheaper outside India, however here it sells at a premium.

okay i would have suggested the m32 actually - BS and perform very well. So are wharfdale 9.2 that go well with norge 1000 (which i have seen multiple times actually). M34 would go along well too (great overall speaker).

Tannoy F1 is a good option but i have never heard it with Norge.

Mos importantly i understand the fascination for FS over BS - but for a 10x10 room, FS would be a constraint. Would sound boomy. Even in my 18x16 room, the m35 that i have demand more room - the soundstage is overwhelming, a little boomines with certain tracks does creep in because of less than ideal positioning of speakers (one very close to side wall junction, another next to a open door)

Ya., Even I understand that. But, I hate subwoofers for a stereo set up. So, If I chose bookshelves now, one day or the other, I may feel the lack of bass (just my assumption).

What do you think about the m33? I am planning to audition, m32, m33, m34, wharfedale 9.1, 9.2 and psb alpha b1. Even though there are bookshelves in my audition list, I am afraid I will biased towards FS.

I will be happy to prove myself wrong :).

Hi Siva

Go thru the below mentioned thread where someone has shared his first experiences with Norge 1000 and Mission M35i.

http://www.hifivision.com/speakers/5162-mission-m35i-norge-1000-first-experiences.html

Ya., thanks Ash. Went through it. But m35 will be large for my room. :sad:

m34 is 16-17k
wharf 9.2 is around 15-16k
Tannoy F1 is slightly over that range IMHO (connect wth spiro - he can tell you better wrt the F1) - it is cheaper outside India, however here it sells at a premium.

Ok., I will chk out m34 and wharfedale 9.2. What do u think abt PSB alpha B1?

m33 will lack in the bass department - needs sand in the ballast at the back to provide a tigher bass. M34 is the same but changes a lot and emphasises tight bass with the silver sand at the back.

Psb is a great match with NAD IMHO (never tried with a Norge) - carry your amp to the showroom for an audition and decide.

Wharf 9.2 will go well with the norge - but since bass is your criteria and you would nto use a sub maybe a budget FS would be a good option.

m34 might be the match you are looking after.

m33 will lack in the bass department - needs sand in the ballast at the back to provide a tigher bass. M34 is the same but changes a lot and emphasises tight bass with the silver sand at the back.

Psb is a great match with NAD IMHO (never tried with a Norge) - carry your amp to the showroom for an audition and decide.

Wharf 9.2 will go well with the norge - but since bass is your criteria and you would nto use a sub maybe a budget FS would be a good option.

m34 might be the match you are looking after.

Thanks a lot for these suggestions. I would audition this weekend or at the most, next weekend.

Could you please elaborate abt the Silver sand u r talking about? Wat kind of sand is that? Sorry if it sounds ignorant. :eek:

Definitely check out the PSB Alpha B1, very transparent speakers, available for 14k from Raghu of Decibel (off Cenotaph Road). At 15-16k and for a 10' by 10' room i would imagine that a floorstander would be a very poor idea.

Thanks a lot for these suggestions. I would audition this weekend or at the most, next weekend.

Could you please elaborate abt the Silver sand u r talking about? Wat kind of sand is that? Sorry if it sounds ignorant. :eek:

Definitely check out the PSB Alpha B1, very transparent speakers, available for 14k from Raghu of Decibel (off Cenotaph Road). At 15-16k and for a 10' by 10' room i would imagine that a floorstander would be a very poor idea.

Ya., okie. Will check them out for sure.
Even I thought so, if the BS' provide sufficient bass, then I'll definitely go for them.

Hi siva,

Check out the wharfdale 9.2 too at Grand Cinema,chennai. For a 10 by 10 room i think you will find the bass adequate.I have not heard them with the Norge but many in the forum say its a good combo. I have the 9.2s along with a Marantz amp and Marantz CDP in a small room and i find the speakers very satisfying in all departments.

Happy Hunting!
sri

Ya., okie. Will check them out for sure.
Even I thought so, if the BS' provide sufficient bass, then I'll definitely go for them.

Well no BS goes that deep enough for bass when compared to a FS. Personally though I find the SQ better in BS than in FS up to a certain budget like 40K to 50K. You will be better off adding a subwoofer or looking at FS if bass is what you are looking for.

Hi siva,

Check out the wharfdale 9.2 too at Grand Cinema,chennai. For a 10 by 10 room i think you will find the bass adequate.I have not heard them with the Norge but many in the forum say its a good combo. I have the 9.2s along with a Marantz amp and Marantz CDP in a small room and i find the speakers very satisfying in all departments.

Happy Hunting!
sri

Thanks a lot. Have read ur thread regarding 9.2 and marantz. Will definitely chk out that.

Well no BS goes that deep enough for bass when compared to a FS. Personally though I find the SQ better in BS than in FS up to a certain budget like 40K to 50K. You will be better off adding a subwoofer or looking at FS if bass is what you are looking for.

Ya. Have to decide that BS vs FS after auditioning. Thanks.

auditions in stores may not be very useful for that decision, becuase you may not be able to replicate your 10' by 10' space.

Thanks a lot. Have read ur thread regarding 9.2 and marantz. Will definitely chk out that.

Ya. Have to decide that BS vs FS after auditioning. Thanks.

Hi,

Criteria:
1. Budget - 15-16k

Hi Siva,
My comments on your criteria:
1. Wharfedale 9.2 will serve your frequency range criteria and budget,
2. 9.2 is NOT a neutral speaker, this is a "laid-back" sounding speaker having good bass end and slightly subdued mid-range. This speaker should not be used for Monitoring mixes without flattening its response thru a good parametric equaliser.
Check out this link showing the freq spectrum of smaller version i.e 9.1 speaker: Stereophile: Wharfedale Diamond 9.1 loudspeaker

The 9.2's spectrum is expected to be similar, but with better bass extension (...till 30Hz as per my test-tones result)

3. The unfortunate part is you may not find a good NEUTRAL bookshelf speaker covering 45Hz to 20KHz even at 25k.
4. for a 10'x10' room I would recommend good Bookshelves rather than cheap floorstanders in 16k budget.

You may check freq spectrum of other speakers at Stereophile: Home Page

I hope my comments help...
Regards,

Hi Siva,
My comments on your criteria:
1. Wharfedale 9.2 will serve your frequency range criteria and budget,
2. 9.2 is NOT a neutral speaker, this is a "laid-back" sounding speaker having good bass end and slightly subdued mid-range. This speaker should not be used for Monitoring mixes without flattening its response thru a good parametric equaliser.
Check out this link showing the freq spectrum of smaller version i.e 9.1 speaker: Stereophile: Wharfedale Diamond 9.1 loudspeaker

The 9.2's spectrum is expected to be similar, but with better bass extension (...till 30Hz as per my test-tones result)

3. The unfortunate part is you may not find a good NEUTRAL bookshelf speaker covering 45Hz to 20KHz even at 25k.
4. for a 10'x10' room I would recommend good Bookshelves rather than cheap floorstanders in 16k budget.

You may check freq spectrum of other speakers at Stereophile: Home Page

I hope my comments help...
Regards,

That was really helpful. Well., everyone talking abt 9.2, I am even more eager to audition it. Cant we do the neutralizing part in the amp (treble and bass) adjustments? :eek:

Hi tropic,

I know auditioning in our own room is the correct way of deciding. But we cant have the dealers to bring the speakers home right? So auditioning at the dealers is better than no auditioning at all.

cheers,
sri

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back