Speakers under 30K

ggoyal_83

I want to build a 2.1 stereo system. I listen mostly to floyd, doors & dire straits. Sometimes I also love to play some trance & hip hop with good bass. Love tight bass with all music (but without compromising mids).
Room size is b/w 160 and 200 sq. ft.

My initial budget is 50K max. What I have decided is that initially i will but amp+speakers, and then the source later (source not included in 50K). SW probably when I add another 40K to my pigy bank ;).

I have more or less finalized on marantz pm7001 amp, as i am getting it for around 21K.

I am super confused with speakers. the options I've are as follows:

1) Tannoy F1 Custom @16K (could not audition it anywhere in Delhi).
2) Wharfdale series floorstanders+standmounters (15-30K).
3) Dali Lektor 1 @20K.
4) Quad 11L2 @27K.
5) Boston Acoustics VR2 @29K (discounted as front grills are missing).

I have not decided whether to go for floorstanders or standmounters. But I think standmounters/bookshelves will be a better choice as later on, I will also add a sub.

I am a beginner with home audio, although I have a good quality setup in my car.

Should I go for a 15K standmounters (like whardales or tannoys), or should I upgrade myself to Dalis and Quads? Why I am not able to decide is because everywhere I find the speakers paired with diff. amp & source. So it becomes very difficult to compare.

I want the best possible VFM.
If I decide upon 15K range, then which one out of Tannoys/Wharfs?
If 20-30K budge, then which one out of Dali Lektor1/Quad 11L2? (Lektor2 not available). Or would a floorstander be a better option?

According to your needs,wharf or Quad is good option.

I own F1 which are quite good for mid & highs,but cant produce deep Bass as cabinate is not deep.

Wharf 9.2 is good opt as they produce decent Bass with mids.Treble is perfect.

Quads though I didnt listen to ,but are well rates.
Boston are average.

My vote goes to Quad 11L2. I have heard it with a Wharfedale SW-150 sub with a marantz amp very good combination.
Others that you consider are
- EPOS bookshelf 12.2 (slightly more expensive)
- If you r in bangalore u can check out Acoustic portrait bookshelfs .

I would suggest that you check out the Polk Audio TSi300 floorstanding speakers.. They are great value for money (Cost me 20k) and will sound good for the kind of music ur talking abt.. Also check out the Cambridge Audio CA540v2 or CA640v2 stereo amp if u havent already.. even i was considering the bookshelves first but there is a vast difference between that and floorstanders..

I want to build a 2.1 stereo system. I listen mostly to floyd, doors & dire straits. Sometimes I also love to play some trance & hip hop with good bass. Love tight bass with all music (but without compromising mids).
Room size is b/w 160 and 200 sq. ft.

My initial budget is 50K max. What I have decided is that initially i will but amp+speakers, and then the source later (source not included in 50K). SW probably when I add another 40K to my pigy bank ;).

I have more or less finalized on marantz pm7001 amp, as i am getting it for around 21K.

I am super confused with speakers. the options I've are as follows:

1) Tannoy F1 Custom @16K (could not audition it anywhere in Delhi).
2) Wharfdale series floorstanders+standmounters (15-30K).
3) Dali Lektor 1 @20K.
4) Quad 11L2 @27K.
5) Boston Acoustics VR2 @29K (discounted as front grills are missing).

I have not decided whether to go for floorstanders or standmounters. But I think standmounters/bookshelves will be a better choice as later on, I will also add a sub.

I am a beginner with home audio, although I have a good quality setup in my car.

Should I go for a 15K standmounters (like whardales or tannoys), or should I upgrade myself to Dalis and Quads? Why I am not able to decide is because everywhere I find the speakers paired with diff. amp & source. So it becomes very difficult to compare.

I want the best possible VFM.
If I decide upon 15K range, then which one out of Tannoys/Wharfs?
If 20-30K budge, then which one out of Dali Lektor1/Quad 11L2? (Lektor2 not available). Or would a floorstander be a better option?

You've got to check out MS mezzo 2 before you make your final purchase. In my opinion, its better than all the speakers you've listed so far.

to drive the mezzos to make full use of them youre gonna have to pair it with a higher than entry level amp

the Tannoys do have bass. i liked it over the warfedales
spivirious , which amp are using ( im surprised you find the bass less than the others) - pair it with a NAD and youll have a decent amount

there are other options ( except tannoy and warfedale)
if you have acccess to PSB they are good value
KEF Iq 3 is also amazing if you plan for a sub. ( i think this paired with a sub is superrb)
there is also MA BR2

for floorstaners look at Jamo C40* i think 405 or 407
retails at 30k

Check out DIY speakers.Audio nirvana drive units from commonsense audio are really excellent value for money.I have listened to a couple of speakers built on the audio nirvana drive units,8" at first and later th2 12" units.
These speakers sound absolutely stunning,I'm planning to get them later on in the year,cant see myself spending money on any other speakers.
Commonsense audio give you free plans for cabinet design when you buy the drive units,the speakers are very efficient and you dont need a powerful/expensive amp at all.

Why not try the Dali Lektor 2's ? Bigger than the Lektor 1's and better bass response ....but not so good against a wall apparently. I agree with the MS Mezzo 2 suggestion....for your budget I think bookshelves will be better than a floorstander....except for the bass of course but as you're going to be adding a sub I guess that's not an issue....

Check out DIY speakers.Audio nirvana drive units from commonsense audio are really excellent value for money.I have listened to a couple of speakers built on the audio nirvana drive units,8" at first and later th2 12" units.
These speakers sound absolutely stunning,I'm planning to get them later on in the year,cant see myself spending money on any other speakers.
Commonsense audio give you free plans for cabinet design when you buy the drive units,the speakers are very efficient and you dont need a powerful/expensive amp at all.

Hey kendun, there are the "cast frame" and the "standard" types of AudioNirvana drivers - which ones specifically did you hear?
What did you like about them and what enclosure design were the ones that you heard?
Also, what types of music did you hear on the speakers that you auditioned?

iam new here i would like to know in a7.1 onkyo reciver is it better to use dipolole,bipole speakears or book shelf speakears

BS spk are better coice to get accurate results.
Bipole/Dipole are for diffusing sound & is good for large rooms.

i meant for surround speakers

Surrounds can be di-pole or bi-pole or bookshelves. Surround back the same as well. Also they dont have to match the L/R/C re: the drivers. They could be totally a different brand. Just make sure they are setup properly via the AVR though.

According to your needs,wharf or Quad is good option.

I own F1 which are quite good for mid & highs,but cant produce deep Bass as cabinate is not deep.

Wharf 9.2 is good opt as they produce decent Bass with mids.Treble is perfect.

Quads though I didnt listen to ,but are well rates.
Boston are average.

Hi,
I agree with the Wharfedale 9.2 suggestion above. I have similar music preference (Doors, Floyd, Dire Straits). I am using 9.2 with Onkyo 5105 reciever as fronts and very satisfied with it. 9.2 bring out the sound of these bands really well (soft-rock with punch in drums, moderately distorted guitars, bassy vocals).

9.2 will obviously sound much better with stereo amp. I have heard these with Norge 2060 and 1000... "Water of Love (Dire Straits)" sounded awesome with this combination! If you don't need to wake up your neighbours, 9.2 deliver good enough volume... you don't need floorstanders... 9.2 will probably sound better than FS at moderate volume (The bass goes all the way down till 40Hz in these 9.2 bookshelves!!). Norge + 9.2 is unbeatable VFM in my opinion.

Regards,

I would suggest the PSB Image B25. For your budget, that would be ideal. And being a highly sensitive speaker, it should not tax your amplifier too much. Plus, as a bonus - the Marantz-PSB combination works very well.

The EPOS M series is slightly out of your budget. But do take a look at the ELS 8 from EPOS. It has not gotten glowing reviews but it is a sweet and soothing speaker to listen to. And it is quite a bit cheaper - around 18K I think.

PSB B25 I too agree with this choice. Was my preferred choice but was out of my budget. Excellent speakers especially for rock music.

You can also try the tannoy reveal 6 studio monitor Or get your self a used dynaudio audience 52.
All the best
Cheers

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back