Speakers vs Room size

sinikp

Hello Experts,

I am planning to setup 5.1 home theater system in my home.
My room size just above 100 sqft, 10 ft length, 10.9 ft width and 10ft height (pls refer the attached plan).

Usage is going to be 50:50 film/music.

For this room size which type of speakers should I go for? (Satellite/Bookshelf/Floor standing)

I 've gone through majority of the valuable threads in this forum, the main advise from the experts seems to be "slow and steady". Meaning start with a AVR and 2 front speakers, then add the sub and surrounds later.

Does my room size is good enough to go in this approach? Or I've to look at only Satellite speakers?

I am planning to use Onkyo TX SR-608 as the AVR.

Please help.

Thx

Attachments

• Room.jpg
    Room.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 217
If music is a priority, then I would recommend either Active speakers or a receiver with bookshelves. You probably don't need FS however they may be good for you if you have the budget and are thinking of future possibilities as well.

If you want a HT and watch a lot of movies and play a lot of games, then blindly go for :
Mission HT around 20k + Yamaha/Denon receiver around 20k

If you are primarily into music, then get a stereo receiver for like 15-25k+ and get the most expensive speakers you can buy(worth at least 20-30k).

If you are on a budget, consider Audioengine A5 or Adam A5/A7/A5X/A7X or Norge + Wharf 9.1/9.2

Even though I said 50:50 usage, when I think more my usage is going to be more towards movies. So 75:25 (movie:music).

In a room sized at around 100 Sq.feet, only a Sub-Sat combination would make sense.

If aesthetics is not an issue, look at the 2010's from QA. If budget is not an issue, Martin Logan's Motion 2 would be a good choice.

If you can do some civil work, you can also look at some in-wall speakers that would disappear into the walls. Companies such as PSB, Deftech and other make excellent in wall speakers.

The 608 may be overpowering for your room. It may be worthwhile to look at less powered AVRs.

Cheers

If the room itself is 10x10, then you will be constrained to put the speakers on the floor in 8x8 space to reduce reflections from the walls and floor.

The best combination like Venkatcr suggested is a sub satellite combination. The AVR should be fine though to drive these. However, I personally think a 5.1 system may be too overpowering for such a small space. You may want to look at a 2.1 or a 3.1 setup option (L/C/R speakers) and a sub. You can also look into small size bookshelf speakers.

In addition to choices from Venkat you can also look at Monitor Audio R90 or Audio Engine P4 as choices.

Last edited:
If budget is not a concern you can check orb speakers ... Tiny lil balls give excellent output... ;)

@ venkatcr @ marsilians,

Thanks a lot for your inputs. So I just need to concentrate on the sub satellite combination. Regarding the 608, my brother is getting it from US. He said this is one of leading selling model over there with with cutting-edge features. He gave me this link to refer. Also when I searched in this forum, 608 seems to be already a hit. Based on that I told to him to get that, but I can change that if you can suggest any other good alternative.

Also where can i audition Audioengine P4 in Bangalore?

@kittu1977
I've a starting budget of 40-50K for speakers, this I had set for the front speakers. Since my room size suitable for ub satellite combination, may be I can consider your suggestion. How much does it cost, where I can audition this in Bangalore.

Last edited:
Also when I searched in this forum, 608 seems to be already a hit. Based on that I told to him to get that, but I can change that if you can suggest any other good alternative.

There is no doubt the 608 is good. I was only thinking it may be overpowered for your room.

If your brother is coming from the US, ask him to look for good sub-sat speaker systems from there. One good option is Hsu's Ventriloquist. You have to add a sub to it. Another option is to look at speakers from Energy.

There are of course, lots of other options available. A very good Indian option is to assemble a 5.1 using Lithos's Noa1 with his sub. Noa1 uses sophisticated technology to handle ear fatigue.

Cheers

Sinikp,

I think you are calculating just the drawing room length. From the picture, it appears that there is no wall separating it from dining room and also, there is space right up to the entrance. If there are no walls, even these spaces are to be taken into consideration for calculating the room size.

@captrajesh

Yes the calculation is based on the drawing room length. There are no wall separating it from dining area. But my listening/TV viewing area is limited the drawing room length right? So why do we need to consider the open space as well?

Skip Audioengines, you can afford something better.

Get Wharfdales, 9.2 or above, perhaps 9.5s as fronts.

If bass isn't as important, then Monitor Audio anyday, BR2/5 or above

Also consider Adam audio if you can find something good for the price.

If your budget is 50k, I would say divide it like this

25-30k Floor Stander Fronts
10-15k Center
10-12k Bookshelves to be used as rear, here Wharf 9.1 should do

You can even consider Tannoy F1 or above.

No need for a sub if you are buying good FS, at least not to start with.

Because the sound from speakers do not stop where u are seated but travel till opp wall. The speaker size & power of amplifier would depend on soon size from wall to wall.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back