Spearker cable for rear speaker

RMCWS

I was using these Sony bs as fronts with my yamaha 373 for sometime. Recently I bought sonodyne bs and planning to shift these sony bs speakers to rear for the time being.

Right now I am confused as to what cables should I add to the existing cable of this speakers in order to keep these speakers behind my sitting area.

These speakers come with red-black (check image 3) cable which I used to directly connect to the avr, but right now it needs to be extended to say 15 ft each.

Also I want to use these sony bs as temporary rears till I get a new one. So local/ unbranded/ cheap alternatives will be preferred.

I was using these Sony bs as fronts with my yamaha 373 for sometime. Recently I bought sonodyne bs and planning to shift these sony bs speakers to rear for the time being.

Right now I am confused as to what cables should I add to the existing cable of this speakers in order to keep these speakers behind my sitting area.

These speakers come with red-black (check image 3) cable which I used to directly connect to the avr, but right now it needs to be extended to say 15 ft each.

Also I want to use these sony bs as temporary rears till I get a new one. So local/ unbranded/ cheap alternatives will be preferred.

You can use MX speaker cable as a economic solution. I guess you will get it from local electronics stores near you. There are other companies like chetan which is ok wire too. ebay.in has some wires to offer.

http://bit.ly/18NVzwU

check the polarity of the speaker and connect accordingly..
speaker cable you can get from hifimart etc.. as suggested 14 AWG..

How do I do that?

In normal cases, The red wire is the +ve and Black wire is -ve. You can use a button cell (cmos battery) or normal 1.5VDC battery (AA) to check the polarity. When the polarity is right, the speaker cone moves outwards.

Keep connecting/disconnecting the battery and the cone keeps moving outwards (This is how I do it):)

I suggest the DAC cables available in hifimart. Very good quality. The cables have clear markings to trace polarity. You can go for 18AWG, no need for costlier 14AWG.

I suggest the DAC cables available in hifimart. Very good quality. The cables have clear markings to trace polarity. You can go for 18AWG, no need for costlier 14AWG.

you can do a simple free test with a 1.5 V AA/AAA battery..

connect the speaker terminals/wires with the positive & Negative.. if the cone comes forward that means..

the wires are correct.. positive - positive

if the cone goes inside its vice versa... DIY to find polarity of unmarked speakers/cabinets.. and yes that 1.5 V wont harm the unit..

Thank you guys for your advice.

I have connected the red cable with the +ive of the AA battery and the black cable with the -tive of the battery. The cone of the speaker is coming out.

When I reverse the cable, the cone goes inside.

It seems I have checked the polarity of the speakers. Now how does it help in buying additional speaker cable? (sorry for the ignorance).

As suggested buy a good quality cable. I am personally using DAC cable. This cable has markings to distinguish the polarity. A cable has no positive or negative terminal, it is the amp and speaker polarity that we are interested in. You should connect the +ve out of amp to +ve terminal of the speaker. A cable with visible markings makes it easy.

It seems I have checked the polarity of the speakers. Now how does it help in buying additional speaker cable? (sorry for the ignorance).

1st of all, congrats on finding the polarity:D. It doesn't help you in buying additional speaker cable though it will help you in connecting the additional wire to the right polarity. Assume that you bought transparent speaker cable with one wire having a white or red stripe/line. Connect that part of the wire to your Sony's red wire and the other part to the black wire.

I have an already existing additional local cables with red and black differentiation of around 30 ft and I have connected it with my rears.

Will get a dac cable soon. Even if I replace these rears later with new ones, I will be able to use these cables in future too.

Is there any similar like DAC if I decide to buy in the local market? And what should I get - 18 or 14 AWG? What is the difference?

I have an already existing additional local cables with red and black differentiation of around 30 ft and I have connected it with my rears.

Will get a dac cable soon. Even if I replace these rears later with new ones, I will be able to use these cables in future too.

Is there any similar like DAC if I decide to buy in the local market? And what should I get - 18 or 14 AWG? What is the difference?

You will not find anything similar in Chandni. MX cables are there, they are not bad, but not very good either. For speaker cables the best I could get was Rs30/m, nothing better.

One more question - What is the difference between 18 and 14 AWG cable? Which one is best suited in this situation?

In normal cases, The red wire is the +ve and Black wire is -ve. You can use a button cell (cmos battery) or normal 1.5VDC battery (AA) to check the polarity. When the polarity is right, the speaker cone moves outwards.

Keep connecting/disconnecting the battery and the cone keeps moving outwards (This is how I do it):)

you can do a simple free test with a 1.5 V AA/AAA battery..

connect the speaker terminals/wires with the positive & Negative.. if the cone comes forward that means..

the wires are correct.. positive - positive

if the cone goes inside its vice versa... DIY to find polarity of unmarked speakers/cabinets.. and yes that 1.5 V wont harm the unit..

Thanks to you both for the new learning :D

Thanks to you both for the new learning :D

I learned it by accident. Back then when I started my diy life, there was no internet for me. Just a TV. One day I had a doubt whether the wire of speaker connection in the newly made box might have gotten loose and I was afraid to

connect my amp. So I came up with the idea of connecting a battery and checking whether it's properly connected. I connected the wrong polarity and saw that the cone was moving inwards.

I corrected the polarity + to + and - to - and the cone moved outwards. That's how I learned it:)

Finally decided to upgrade the cable of surround speakers. Didn't go for DAC but decided to go for Indian brand Chetan 14AWG. Cost was Rs.33/ meter. Bought it from Chandi, Kolkata.

Though have used the surround for music for only couple of hours, but I could not really find out any difference with this new cable.

Will a movie help?

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back