Spell Checking recommendation.

venkatcr

Recently, I came across a tool that, to me, has now become indispensable. This is a small software that checks your spelling, grammar, and writing style as you type. Though there are other spell checkers available, this tool works with both online and offline software. Most important it is very small.

Please look up After The Deadline for more information.

I would encourage all members to use this when writing in HFV.

Cheers

I google for the correct spellings when I am not certain.Normally happens after I have submitted a post.Use Edit for repairing the wrong spellings:)

With After The Deadline, it highlights incorrectly spelled words with red underline as you type. That way you can be sure your posting is proper before you submit. That is why I like the software.

Cheers

@Venkatcr
Was going to install After The Deadline,but before installation,the extension requires access to complete browsing history and my data on all websites???

@Suri
Your complete browsing history would certainly make interesting reading.Your web trawling seems to harvest rare and exotic fishes from distant oceans and continents.

I thought Mozilla Firefox comes with a spell checker. Safari has a auto correct/update as well, so can't understand the purpose here.

I thought Mozilla Firefox comes with a spell checker. Safari has a auto correct/update as well, so can't understand the purpose here.
On my Mac,Safari has a spell check option but it does not work with Hifivision.On the same computer,I am now posting from Firefox.Spelling mistakes are highlighted in red,but the top bar does not have a spell check option.Perhaps the current Firefox for Mac,is still a work in progress.
On my PC,I use Chrome.No spell check.Gave up on Internet Explorer many years ago.Every time I open it,I wring my hands in despair,and exit as fast as I can.
I guess Firefox on PC may do the needful.Firefox may be loosing ground in the browser wars,because it has neither an operating system nor a search engine backing it,but for the moment it's still the best browser out there.Safari and Chrome are very good.Opera is nice too.IE for me is obsolete and redundant.

Last edited:
Was going to install After The Deadline,but before installation,the extension requires access to complete browsing history and my data on all websites???

This software has been listed as one of the top free software. I did not face any problem when I installed the software. In the download you will have the following options:

bbPress - Plain and Simple Forum Software
Bookmarklet - A utility to AtD to any web-page with one click
Chrome - Web Browser
Firefox - Web Browser
Intense Debate - Distributed Comment System for Blogs and Websites
OpenOffice.org - Free and Open Productivity Suite
WordPress - Blog Tool and Publishing Platform

Choose Chrome and/or Firefox - which ever you use.

Cheers

I guess Firefox on PC may do the needful.Firefox may be loosing ground in the browser wars,because it has neither an operating system nor a search engine backing it,but for the moment it's still the best browser out there.Safari and Chrome are very good.Opera is nice too.IE for me is obsolete and redundant.
Firefox on pc highlight and also provides auto suggestions through a mouse click.

Ajay you need try the Safari on iPad, it has got auto correct options including remembering words you type ( can be in Hindi as well)

Firefox on pc highlight and also provides auto suggestions through a mouse click.

Ajay you need try the Safari on iPad, it has got auto correct options including remembering words you type ( can be in Hindi as well)

Just got the iPad a few days back,so I'm still not 100% on the ball.Yes it does have a great spell check option,but it does not work on Hifivision.And of course iPad has to be Safari only.I don't think FF can be downloaded and used,or can it???
Most Indian websites are designed for IE and have recently become FF friendly.But Mac OS is still being treated as a minority which can be ignored for the moment.
While I was typing this post I noticed that Chrome/PC is not only highlighting but even correcting the spellings:)So that's two browsers now with spell check!

@teky@venkatcr
I thought of starting a separate thread on browsers,but then I felt,why not post here only and keep thread clutter down:)
My personal preference is MAC/SAFARI and PC/CHROME with FIREFOX a close second on both.Also like OPERA.Have tried many other browsers which never got out of the Beta stage.I feel the lean,mean Chrome is the best thing which has happened to browsers in recent times and that sooner or later Google will launch an OS for computers.Favorite features on Chrome are quick loading/single search bar/lean and fast/perfect with Google.On FF I like their ad blocker,persona,smooth scrolling and the fact that all other browsers have some limitation or the other,but FF does everything and does it well.Safari obviously is made for Mac OS and is the best for that,but on a PC I found it very ordinary and forgettable.IE (for me) is too top heavy,clumsy,boring,ugly,ridden with security issues.I never use it.Even when I happen to be using someone's PC which has only IE I first with/without permission:)download Chrome on it.Later when I ask the owner which browser they are using,the answer is IE.Guess the IE habit is so ingrained that a lot of people never attempt to try anything else.

Ajay - however chrome browser seems to be not compatible with few bank sites, so I'm still sticking to FF. Few online shopping websites especially the Indian ones tend to have a problem with Chrome\FF. I think they test their applications mostly on IE and don't care about others. It's been 5 years since I've used IE, It's resource hungry.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back