Spikes for DIY Wooden speaker stand

gap g j

Hi,

I'm in the process of building wooden speaker stands for the Fronts and Center.

I took the design from the link available elsewhere in this forum.

I want to have spikes, I'm visiting Chennai this weekend, Where in Chennai I will get spikes or are there any alternative?

Thanks
Gap G J

Hi,

I'm in the process of building wooden speaker stands for the Fronts and Center.

I took the design from the link available elsewhere in this forum.

I want to have spikes, I'm visiting Chennai this weekend, Where in Chennai I will get spikes or are there any alternative?

Thanks
Gap G J

I also need them:indifferent14:

Hi,

I see that there's not much of reply !! Anyways that could be coz not many ready off the shelf Spikes available in India (Almost none) !!

However in Chennai try Torvin as they had some stuff,Else try with Corrson (they've stopped DIY & accessories business) and see if they have some leftover stock of the spikes !

Else the madisound and partsexpress are your only rescue !!

Finally if you are up for it I can get it machined and send it across,any design any type !

Regards.

Hi,

I see that there's not much of reply !! Anyways that could be coz not many ready off the shelf Spikes available in India (Almost none) !!

However in Chennai try Torvin as they had some stuff,Else try with Corrson (they've stopped DIY & accessories business) and see if they have some leftover stock of the spikes !

Else the madisound and partsexpress are your only rescue !!

Finally if you are up for it I can get it machined and send it across,any design any type !

Regards.

Hi soundsgreat

I'll be getting done some speaker stands in Granite. Are there any spikes available to purchase in B'lore. What is this "madisound and partsexpress". Some help from you please.:licklips: Like do you fix the spikes on you own???

thanks.

if u have brass round rods /aluminum bar go to lathe shop,
there they will have a rotationg stone machine(!) that is used to sharpen drill bits,
make the spikes there and get them threaded at fabricator.

Hi soundsgreat

I'll be getting done some speaker stands in Granite. Are there any spikes available to purchase in B'lore. What is this "madisound and partsexpress". Some help from you please.:licklips: Like do you fix the spikes on you own???

thanks.

Mr. Murthy will make spikes for you. "Tools n Trade" 50 m after police station on commercial street.

Regards

Hi,

Hi soundsgreat

I'll be getting done some speaker stands in Granite. Are there any spikes available to purchase in B'lore. What is this "madisound and partsexpress".

Good to hear that you are getting the stands done and that too out of granite :)! As I've already mentioned the only place that was selling spikes ready made was Corrson who have ventured out of DIY business !!

The Madisound and Partsexpess you already know I guess ;) !! I see you are in a process of building a speakers with drivers from madisound,so when ordering those stuff you can order the spikes from them aswell !

Some help from you please. Like do you fix the spikes on you own???

Any help you need, But I didn't get the question :p !! what do you mean by that ?

Regards.

Hi,

Good to hear that you are getting the stands done and that too out of granite :)! As I've already mentioned the only place that was selling spikes ready made was Corrson who have ventured out of DIY business !!

The Madisound and Partsexpess you already know I guess ;) !! I see you are in a process of building a speakers with drivers from madisound,so when ordering those stuff you can order the spikes from them aswell !

Any help you need, But I didn't get the question :p !! what do you mean by that ?

Regards.

Hi,

Thanks for those links, and about the help, I thought you had some hands on experience with these speaker stands and spike assembling, so thaught would take some help from you.;) Thanks.

cheers.

Mr. Murthy will make spikes for you. "Tools n Trade" 50 m after police station on commercial street.

Regards

+1 to that...do check out with Mr. Murthy, he can definitely help you out with that...

One Q I had...why do you need spikes? I assume a typlical Indian setting which is on tile or granite or a hard surface...you'd need spikes if you have a carpeted or wooden surface...on a hard surface, if you are using spikes, put them on 'tender feet'...you can get them from Mr. Murthy as well...or place them on 50p coin...

+1 to that...do check out with Mr. Murthy, he can definitely help you out with that...

One Q I had...why do you need spikes? I assume a typlical Indian setting which is on tile or granite or a hard surface...you'd need spikes if you have a carpeted or wooden surface...on a hard surface, if you are using spikes, put them on 'tender feet'...you can get them from Mr. Murthy as well...or place them on 50p coin...

My speakers most definitely sound better when on spikes. but its my speakers not the stand that are on spikes.

Regards

Hi,

if u have brass round rods /aluminum bar go to lathe shop,
there they will have a rotationg stone machine(!) that is used to sharpen drill bits,
make the spikes there and get them threaded at fabricator.

Kaushik, you are referring to the Grinding Stone :p ! If making spikes where that easy then we didn't have to break our head with those skilled labors now do we ?? even in those lathe's there are hardly few who can turn the darn metal to proper shape with accuracy and precision,so the last thing I'd suggest is a Grinding Stone ;)!!

Anyways as always the spirit in you is what makes me happy :)!!

Thanks for those links, and about the help, I thought you had some hands on experience with these speaker stands and spike assembling, so thaught would take some help from you.

Now where did you ask me bout my experience :p ???

Like do you fix the spikes on you own???

Was this supposedly the all in one question where you are not only asking how to do certain things but also questioning bout my experience :confused:??

Anyways yes I do have built some stands in the past for which I got all the parts machined when needed and such,I have not used granite though ;) !! drilling the granite is the problem,so have always preferred heavy metals plates (as thick as 10-12MM ) !

Well now that our friends have recommended Mr.Murthy to you,I guess you'll get all the stuff from him ! But still any help needed you are always welcome to get in touch with me !

One Q I had...why do you need spikes? I assume a typlical Indian setting which is on tile or granite or a hard surface

Is this question for real ?? ( Nothing personal,please excuse me ) We have already talked so much bout how the spikes ground the resonance energy etc etc etc,if you still have some doubts please refer to Asit's thread (pertaining to his stands) in which where they've talked bout whats the importance of spikes,and also bout 3 spikes Vs 4 !!

Regards.

shree..
cant reach perfection with that method .. but atleast usable spikes will come out provided one is careful.
There might be are sellers who may provide good spikes locally .. :) atleast for me i will never buy from them .

he he :) i always try to provide low cost alternatives .. if people adopt my tricks and get benifitted
makes me happy too..

Last edited:
See if you can get some brass spikes made. They would be solid and handle a lot of weight. They would also be a good resonance/mechanical drain into the ground. Just a general observation, the molecules of brass would vibrate much faster than the molecular vibrational energy of the rack. That interface can quickly "Steal" the vibrational energy from the rack and transmit it down to a spiked point into the ground/earth. That's how it moves energy away from the system. Just thought I'd back up the suggestion with a very basic physics reasoning :)

Last edited:
See if you can get some brass spikes made. They would be solid and handle a lot of weight. They would also be a good resonance/mechanical drain into the ground. Just a general observation, the molecules of brass would vibrate much faster than the molecular vibrational energy of the rack. That interface can quickly "Steal" the vibrational energy from the rack and transmit it down to a spiked point into the ground/earth. That's how it moves energy away from the system. Just thought I'd back up the reasoning with a very basic physics reasoning :)

I got brass spikes made by mr. Murthy. So you are in luck there if you want these ... :)

cheers

Another thing I will mention, the shape of the spike has a very big effect on the way the energy is transferred and ultimately the sound.

If you can, look into Mapleshade brass footers or the ones that I use and am most impressed with are the Star Sound Audiopoints.

Star Sound Technologies - Audio Points

For example:

20AP1D.jpg

I got brass spikes made by mr. Murthy. So you are in luck there if you want these ... :)

cheers
shaizada
I have listened to gobbles setup .. those spikes are really effective (may be i am a noob at audio , better u should experience yourself ).

Actual method is to do some CNC routing i think .. the stone method is cheaper.

shaizada
I have listened to gobbles setup .. those spikes are really effective (may be i am a noob at audio , better u should experience yourself ).

Actual method is to do some CNC routing i think .. the stone method is cheaper.

That might be the best way to go :) It would definitely be much easier than importing spikes from other places.

Is this question for real ?? ( Nothing personal,please excuse me ) We have already talked so much bout how the spikes ground the resonance energy etc etc etc,if you still have some doubts please refer to Asit's thread (pertaining to his stands) in which where they've talked bout whats the importance of spikes,and also bout 3 spikes Vs 4 !!

Regards.

No offence taken soundsgreat...everyone is entitled to their opinion...

This thing has been discussed threadbare everywhere but I'd still say if you have a good hard surface (granite, marble, vitrified tiles etc.), spikes would not make much difference to the sound. wooden flooring or carpets are a different story. My speakers stand on the rubber feet, I also tried the screw on spikes they came with but did not see any major difference. I actually felt the bass loosening a bit with spikes :O I had discussed this with Mr. Murthy as well (when I wanted spiked for my spkrs) and he had the same views.

On the contrary, I feel that spikes on granite/marble/tiles would actually de-stablize spkrs at high volumes. But this is just my opinion and I'm not a guru...

You might want to add mass to the speaker by filling sand (if it allows). I had cudappa stones on my spkrs...and they did help...

to the op

if Mr Murthy doesnt work out and you are really desperate PM me.
just a note : point deformation in SS is higher than brass

Hi,

No offence taken soundsgreat...everyone is entitled to their opinion...

Absolutely right Everybody has and should have a right to have a opinion else there would be chaos;), Good then,If you don't mind since that was on a friendly note,I'd like to tell you this !

I've in the past tried some experiments to check and see what exactly the results of good spikes are,like you I too have tried using rubber bushes and what not but finally when I made the metal spikes and introduced them to the system there was noticeable difference :) !! Hence my belief and comment !

Anyways you are more then welcome to drop in and experience it yourself anytime,if you are interested let me know ;)!!

Regards.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back