Spotify in India; launching on Jan 31

Entering late into a fragmented (and almost "free") market.
Better have a great USP.
Only "better" streaming quality won't cut the ice.
Cheers,
Raghu

I am ready to pay any amount if they are offering lossless streaming. I am tired of compressed audio of youtube and prime. And the latest movies not even releasing CDs to make things worse.

I am ready to pay any amount if they are offering lossless streaming. I am tired of compressed audio of youtube and prime. And the latest movies not even releasing CDs to make things worse.
problem with indian music scene I feel unavailability of high quality master in the first place...

Spotify doesnt have hi res or cd quality even. 320kbps is the max. But what is good about it is , to me spotifys algorithm for suggestions, is better than anything. if you are person who likes to explore new music, artists and genres, Its simply superb. I had a tidal premium subscription along with spotify(while not in India) and to me, I ended up using it alot, as it introduced me to a lot of new music-

Thing to note is , indian music inventory is not good.

Spotify doesnt have hi res or cd quality even. 320kbps is the max. But what is good about it is , to me spotifys algorithm for suggestions, is better than anything. if you are person who likes to explore new music, artists and genres, Its simply superb. I had a tidal premium subscription along with spotify(while not in India) and to me, I ended up using it alot, as it introduced me to a lot of new music-

Thing to note is , indian music inventory is not good.
I found pandora better in suggesting similar content & artists, way better than spotify.

Why not try tidal in group buy, per head around 430 INR / 6 USD. It has a very good Indian collection if not as comparable to Amazon Prime and its PC app / Volumio in RPI is a great option for streaming

Why not try tidal in group buy, per head around 430 INR / 6 USD. It has a very good Indian collection if not as comparable to Amazon Prime and its PC app / Volumio in RPI is a great option for streaming
do u need vpn for Tidal to work for us? also we pay through PayPal for the subscription?

Thanks.

Recently I have subscribed Tidal premium membership. Tidal have very good sound quality close to CD and great collection of music. Their Masters albums are much better than hi-fi. Subscription is little expensive for us about Rs. 2000/- per month ( £ 20). If you wish to subscribe, go through US country VPN as it cost $20 ( Rs. 1400/-) from US. They have two months free membership for trial. Rs. 2000/- per month is expensive, you can buy four CD albums monthly but available of music album is scary. Family membership sharing is one of the best option for Tidal. If you are music lover and looking for sound quality and music quantity go for Tidal. Indian music is very limited hard to find.

I'm using Tidal and pretty happy with its seamless integration with Roon. The MQA format albums are quite well mastered on Tidal.

@Nikhili is using both Spotify and Tidal, he can give us a better comparitive info.

I found pandora better in suggesting similar content & artists, way better than spotify.
Pandora’s algorithms are way better than Spotify’s, but Spotify scores over Pandora in SQ.

Edit:
Just checked, Spotify is playing on my iPhone through it’s app, but without the VPN. That means it is already on air in India, maybe in the testing or Beta phase.

Cheers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just checked, Spotify is playing on my iPhone through it’s app, but without the VPN. That means it is already on air in India, maybe in the testing or Beta phase.

Cheers.

This is the default behaviour but after streaming for some days it will ask for re-login where VPN is necessary

do u need vpn for Tidal to work for us? also we pay through PayPal for the subscription?

Thanks.

PayPal yes, family plan of 30 USD for 5 connection and sharing that

Vpn required only once while registering for the trial, thereafter none, not even while streaming

Is there a good mobile app that'll work with Tidal and can do offline mode as well? I have UAPP. But, that is not having offline mode for Tidal. And the official Tidal app is not available in Play store in India :/

Is there a good mobile app that'll work with Tidal and can do offline mode as well? I have UAPP. But, that is not having offline mode for Tidal. And the official Tidal app is not available in Play store in India :/

Bubble Upnp paid version can be configured, with kodi server ...

Get the tidal app from sources like apk store, use your login without any vpn, works like a charm and has offline mode too, i have not tried offline though

I have been streaming on my UK Spotify account for pretty much all of last year. Never asked me re-login...
I find the sound quality to be quite good at the highest setting. Rpi3 - > allo digione - > behringer deq2496 - > bryston DAC - > F5T Diy. Run picoreplayer on the rpi. Maybe not the highest end setup but good to my ears.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back