Spotify vs Audio CD

True. But without a lot of Indian content they will find it difficult to survive in India. So don’t know if Tidal will have the appetite to spend a lot to license Indian music. Most of the streaming platforms are struggling to stay alive and a few may shut shop soon.

Does Spotify do this with their existing library? If not, no reason to expect it for the new offering
Yes, I see eq being applied to a lot of the music on spotify especially popular music. The frequency balance is different. CD and Tidal frequency balance is the same.

Looks like your wish may just come true, although whether it will be available here at the beginning remains to be seen.
I also wonder whether existing Spotify connect certified devices will work with their lossless stream.
I am keen to try this, once it launches.
My bet is that every Spotify connect device will work with all of their streams

Sorry for the off topic. Recently upgraded with premium account for spotify when I bought lap from flipkart. But I dont see any difference between premium and normal account. all looks same. except the ad.

I do not have much experience but to me the streamed audio does not sound right. I have done some comparisons though. Excuse me if they are not very scientific but anyone interested can try this one comparison. One of these samples is from a streaming service, other three from other sources. To me they all sound different. The streamed version sounding the worst. May be I am biased since I already know which is the streamed version lol. Do you guys also think they all sound different? Which one is the worst.

Spotify and Apple Music are okay as long as one uses good headphones and portable gear.
They don’t sound good in a proper stereo gear.
To me , their sound is thin, metallic , harsh and bright 90% of the time (I listen to mostly jazz , classic rock , pop which are mostly very well recorded ).

True. But without a lot of Indian content they will find it difficult to survive in India. So don’t know if Tidal will have the appetite to spend a lot to license Indian music. Most of the streaming platforms are struggling to stay alive and a few may shut shop soon.
@prem Tidal has a surprisingly good collection of old Hindi film songs - from 30's till the 90's. In fact, their collection of 30's-50's is deeper than most other platforms. And that's surprising for a streaming service that hasn't been launched in India yet. Their Classical, Ghazal, Indipop collection is not bad either. It is the films beyond 2000 and new music launches where they lack today. I'd imagine thats an area they'd cover up before an India launch of that has to happen.

If music streaming is not a profitable stand-alone business model, one imagines there might eventually be consolidation in the industry and more diversified and deep-pocketed players like Apple, Google and Gio might gobble up the smaller ones (thank God, Facebook isnt into music streaming yet, save for Facebook Live which is a nice social media + music niche). But till then, let's enjoy the differentiation and choice provided by the plethora of Indian and international services.

In fact, business (and revenue) models of music streaming services is an interesting area to study. There are some interesting niche plays like Bandcamp that exclusively focus on indie music and while they have free to air sampling streaming, they smartly use it to sell vinyl, CD and digital versions of the albums you like. And then there are genre-specific services like Primephonic/Idagio/Saregama Classical catering to segments/niches that value the quality and/or curating and don't mind paying higher subscription charges. I'd imagine such differentiated/nice plays could see a longer life than the me-too generic plays.

Hi Vivek, based on the other thread you started, unless you have a fully tricked out laptop (doesn't cost much), you will not be able to discover which is better, conclusively. IIRC, you had not done all the treatments needed, nor were you using a dedicated streamer. In such a case the CD would be undoubtedly better. Pardon me if you have already set up your streaming rig optimally.

My personal opinion, and that is what I have based my system on, is that the CD will beat even an optimized streaming setup.

Back