Stabilizer Recommendation

moserw

Hi,

I have an Onkyo HT3100 HT System, a Panasonic CRT 29", and a Philips DVD player connected to an Uni-Stab 1 KVA electronic stabilizer. Can anyone help out whether this is good enough or do I need to go for a 2 KVA or even higher electronic stabilizer.

All help is much appreciated and thanks for the same.

Please go through the manuals of each of these units and tell us what the power ratings are. Also what is the max power specified for the Onkyo 3100?

Cheers

Please go through the manuals of each of these units and tell us what the power ratings are. Also what is the max power specified for the Onkyo 3100?

Cheers

Hi,

HT AV Receiver is with 100 W per channel into 6 ohms, speakers are 120 W so that converts to 900 VA max for the Amp (if I am correct). The DVD Player power consumption less than 10 W. Finally regarding the TV, its power consumption is listed as 98W.

Hope this helps and all help from you wonderful guys is much appreciated.

Hi,

HT AV Receiver is with 100 W per channel into 6 ohms, speakers are 120 W so that converts to 900 VA max for the Amp (if I am correct). The DVD Player power consumption less than 10 W. Finally regarding the TV, its power consumption is listed as 98W.

Hope this helps and all help from you wonderful guys is much appreciated.

You total consumption comes to a little more than 1KVA. To handle what is called 'rush' requirements, it is always better to have more capacity in the stabilizer. I would recommend a 2KVA or at worst a 1.5 KVA for your set up.

Or what you can do is to get a 1.5 KVA separately, and connect just the HTS system to do that. Since this is the only unit with an amplifier, it will be the one that will draw sudden peaks in power.

Cheers

You total consumption comes to a little more than 1KVA. To handle what is called 'rush' requirements, it is always better to have more capacity in the stabilizer. I would recommend a 2KVA or at worst a 1.5 KVA for your set up.

Or what you can do is to get a 1.5 KVA separately, and connect just the HTS system to do that. Since this is the only unit with an amplifier, it will be the one that will draw sudden peaks in power.

Cheers

Thanks Venkat. Very much appreciated. I have a 1 KVA that I am using for the entire unit. I guess I will upgrade to 2-3 KVA or else get another 1.5 KVA for the amplifier.

I think you have calculated based on the output power of the amp. You need to take the power consumption of the amp for outputting 100watts per channel, it will be mentioned in the manual (either in watts or amps). Since the subwoofer is passive you dont have to consider that. Also you need to consider the power factor while converting to Va.

I think you have calculated based on the output power of the amp. You need to take the power consumption of the amp for outputting 100watts per channel, it will be mentioned in the manual (either in watts or amps). Since the subwoofer is passive you dont have to consider that. Also you need to consider the power factor while converting to Va.

Thanks cmsajith for pointing it out. The power consumption mentioned in the manual says its 300 W. Not sure about whether its overall for all channels or per channel though.

If it is written as the power consumption then it will be 300W itself and normally it will be the overall power consumption by the amp. Taking it as 300W, the total requirement will be 525VA for amp on considering the power factor correction of 0.75. Also 175VA for TV and 11VA for the DVP. Altogether 711VA is required for the stabilizer. So your 1KVa will be more than enough to drive all your equipments by leaving a buffer of 289VA. If you want to leave more buffer for hometheater, then my suggestion would be 1KVA for the hometheater and buy a 500VA stabilizer for TV and DVP.

@All, please correct me if I am wrong.

29" CRT doesn't need any voltage stabilizer, as it must be with SMPS anyway that can handle from 110 v to 270 V AC. And it is better to keep TV in a separate circuit.

300 W rating is most probably the steady state rating, during Power on there is much higher current drawn called as In Rush Current (cold start current) , as well as during complex and /or dynamic music passages amp can draw much higher current than normal . That's why amps are fitted with Slow Blow Fuse (designated by letter 'T' ) .

So get a stabilizer with a current capacity least 2.5X the steady state current rating, in this case 1.5 KVA is the nearest value. I would rather suggest go for 2 KVA (consider the possibility of upgrading the amp at a later date with more power rating, you need not upgrade the stabilizer ) I believe the price difference between 1.5 KVA and 2 KVA is not that big.

The stab must be Servo type and nothing else. KryKard, Vertex are some good brands to consider, prices could be in the range of 8 - 10 K (2 KVA)

Hope this helps

Last edited:
Hi,

my question is slightly different, but related... I stay in an area where power cuts are sometimes irritatingly frequent... it sometimes happens that the elec goes and comes back in the next two minutes - and is then repeated six times in the hour...

should the system be on inverter to minimise damage?

Siddharth

Hi,

my question is slightly different, but related... I stay in an area where power cuts are sometimes irritatingly frequent... it sometimes happens that the elec goes and comes back in the next two minutes - and is then repeated six times in the hour...

Siddharth

Sounds like you need a UPS or an inverter, but not sure they will work in power surges. They are intended more for providing power/backup in the event of a power cut. Protection is my main criteria especially with the AV Receiver getting quite hot at times.

I will be having a servo stabiliser for the entire house which will be connected to the mains so that there is no power surge or voltage fluctuation that affects any appliance. i am asking about frequent on offs... is there danger to the system from such tripping and if so, is it better that the same is on the inverter circuit...

SIddharth

Sid, an inverter is meant to provide power to fans, lights, and such equipment. Though an inverter is a good idea, they have very slow switch over time, and this needs to be checked. If you need your systems to NOT power down when you have power cuts, you may need to place a heavy enough UPS in between. This has been discussed many times, and an UPS is really not useful for audio/video systems.

If you need your system to keep working through power cuts, you need an inverter that has a switch over time is milliseconds. Please check this with your supplier.

Cheers

Hi,

I have an Onkyo HT3100 HT System, a Panasonic CRT 29", and a Philips DVD player connected to an Uni-Stab 1 KVA electronic stabilizer. Can anyone help out whether this is good enough or do I need to go for a 2 KVA or even higher electronic stabilizer.

All help is much appreciated and thanks for the same.

Hi,
Just browsing through, came across this post.
To calculate how much KVA you need you need to find out the total electical wattage rating of your devices (not output RMS/wattage), and multiply it with a factor of 0.8 (eg if total wattage is 1000W, you will need 0.8KVA)

I have a spare Argo Servo 1KVA stabilizer, which I have not been using for sometime now, since I bought a UPS.
I can sell this if anyone is interested. I live in Mumbai, so the person will have to come and pick it up.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back