Stabilizer - Which one to buy

just bought the APC BackUPS BR1100CI-IN.
Its rated for 660Watts load for Battery Backup and has 2 sockets with only Surge Protection.

I am connecting the 50VT20D, Airtel HDrecorder , Bluray Player, WD TV media Player to the UPS. and connecting the amp to the surge protector.

cost Rs. 5,200/- 2year replacement warranty. guaranteed against surges and lightning.

@giddavr: thanks for the info. What was the mrp of the product. Is this a bargained price, wanted to know since i am planning to call the apc dealer with this model number :) Apc is a good company when it comes to after sales.

@giddavr: thanks for the info. What was the mrp of the product. Is this a bargained price, wanted to know since i am planning to call the apc dealer with this model number :) Apc is a good company when it comes to after sales.
the mrp on the box was Rs. 7,300/-. sorry for the delay in answering. i already sent the box for storage, so had to get it out and see the price.

as for bargaining about the price, the scenario is like this.

i live in a small town (pop.75K)which doesn't even have a computer shop. so i have to go to the nearest city for buying such things, and it happens to be Rajahmundry, 20kms away.

My hobbies include DIY, watching movies, gadgetmania and computers among other things. so a long time ago i chose the 5 most popular shops dealing in computer parts and did a thorough walk through spending time to study the
shop's attitude, pricing and service. then i finally setlled on a shop which i believed offered the best combination of price & service coupled with good attitude. this was some 15 years back when i first dived into computer assembly. these shops get the items mostly from the secunderabad wholesalers. so now when i want some item i just ask them for it and if they dont have it they will get it in one or 2 days. they will buy from the cheapest source available and i have found them to be very honest in giving me a good price. i wouldn't want him not to make any profit and at the same time i know i am not being ripped off, as i regularly check the prices online. and their prices are always cheaper than online prices. and i can always return something with no questions asked. so the price of Rs. 5200/- may not be the cheapest but it is a good price for me. i din't have to waste a couple of hours going to the city to buy it, i called them beforehand and sent my driver to get it. so for me it is a cheap price.

I am thinking of getting APC BackUPS BR1100CI-IN, is it good?
I will connect 50"plasma, HT,airtel HD, media player. Whts the price i should bargain?

Hii all,

A query on stabilizers. I have a 1KVA apc pure sinewawe inverter. My crt and av receiver is connected to inverter line since power outages are frequent. When they is serious voltage issue at night, i just switch off the main line so that all works on ups. But frequently doing this may drain my Inverter battery. I have planned to buy a digi200 from vguard. Can i connect it at the input of my inverter. Have any one tried this combo which i feel is crazy :). One another reason why i dont want to connect after inverter is that my inverter trips if i switch on the crt through the tv stabilizer i have now. What i understood is that the issue is with the initial current required to build up in the transformer inside stabilizer which my apc is not able to support. Since digi200 also may have the same issue, i may not be able to switch on while on backup mode. Request your view on my idea of connecting inverter to digi200 stabilizer.

Thanks in advance,
Antony

Theoretically you can connect the inverter to the output of your stabilizer, if the stab can handle the necessary load required by the inverter for charging battery. When the mains is present, the inverter will bypass the current to your devices and the voltage correction will be handled by the stab. When there is no mains power, the inverter will start. This time it won't stress the stab as the stab has no current through it. But connecting the otherway ie inverter out to stabilizer in can cause problems.

My ups (1.2KV) is connected to the out of the servo (5KV).

Last edited:
Thanks baiju. digi200 (6A *230V) should be able to handle the load of the 1KVA inverter. Like you said, theoretically it should be fine. Will anyway try it this weekend. I have 4 months left on apc inverter warranty :) if at all something goes bad. if anybody has any bad experience in connecting a inverter to a stabilizer like v-guard digi 200, kindly share

Last edited:
Thanks baiju. digi200 (6A *230V) should be able to handle the load of the 1KVA inverter. Like you said, theoretically it should be fine. Will anyway try it this weekend. I have 4 months left on apc inverter warranty :) if at all something goes bad. if anybody has any bad experience in connecting a inverter to a stabilizer like v-guard digi 200, kindly share

Hi are you still running this configuration (Stabiliser output --> UPS Input)? Have faced any issues with this?

It is just boosting the voltage into the UPS or stabiliser. I don't see why it should not be done --- but I'm not an electrician.

In fact, night-time voltages here have fallen so low that I have done just that with my computer UPS. Otherwise, it would never have run on-mains and the battery capacity would have come nowhere near what would have been needed.

Thad, use a line interactive UPS. These have built-in stabilizer. I have one and it works from 130V.

My APC Has AVR ... automatic voltage regulation. But, if the voltage is too low, it has to resort to supplementing it from the battery, and although it can do that for far longer than providing pure battery output in a power cut, it can't do it for ever. When it is already depleted because it had to cope with as much power-out as it could take, it doesn't have much resource to deal with anything else until charged again. And that charging is not happening because the voltage is too low and the batteries are discharging.
Thad, use a line interactive UPS. These have built-in stabilizer. I have one and it works from 130V.
That is pretty impressive. What model do you have and how much did it cost. Just curious: I do not have any budget for new UPS for a year or two. For past several years, my computer corner is the only thing that carries on through most of the cuts. Eventually I listened to my overheated wife and let her buy an inverter to power some lights and fans too! ;)

To protect the TV,AMP,AVR which will be the best a Vguard Stabalizer or a interactive UPS.

To protect the TV,AMP,AVR which will be the best a Vguard Stabalizer or a interactive UPS.

I find interactive UPS to be better than stabilizer especially when there is lots of voltage fluctuation and power cuts. The only problem is that in inverter mode, the output is quasi sinewave. This is not a problem with TV, STB etc. as they use SMPS. I have also worked denon 1612 on ups and haven't faced any problem. Atleast we get time to properly shutdown the avr when there is power outage.

An Inverter will directly send mains power when available and switch to battery when mains go off. This means all fluctuations etc in the mains will pass through. Also, there will be a tiny delay in the switchover so your DVD player may restart while in the middle of a movie.

A UPS (online UPS) always sends mains power to battery (converts to DC) and DC back to AC at the outlet. So there is automatic conditioning and surge protection. These days the efficiency is above 90% so the losses are minimum. Also, there will not be any restart of equipment if power goes.

In case you do not want long backup, only conditioning, you can get a UPS with an in-built battery which will still let you do a graceful shutdown of all devices rather than a sudden power out.

I strongly recommend an online UPS for costly electronic equipment.

In my case I have an inverter for the whole house including AC etc, and a UPS connected to the inverter for AV equipment and computer desk. It works very well.

thanks for the insight. is microtek a decent brand?

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back