starting from what frequency downwards we need enclosures?

Naveenbnc

Hi all...

We all know that tweeters do not need a box (speaker enclosure)
Some people say that mid drivers also do not need an enclosure.
In fact some mid drivers come with sealed back.

When it comes to sealed or bass reflex, the bass drivers are generally put in enclosures.
(OB is a different case)

Talking in terms of frequency, starting from what frequency downwards we need enclosures?

It may depend of driver selection and their crossover points etc etc....
It may depend on where a particular mid driver rolls off, and where a particular bass driver can take over.

But in a very general sense im asking in the frequency spectrum.

Thanks & Regards,
Naveen

It really depends.

In OB/dipole systems the enclosure is omitted by design.

In sealed systems each driver that covers a different band needs a separate enclosure. Tweeters dont need an enclosure coz they already come with one. The small space behind the dome is the enclosure. That part is almost sealed so no separate enclosure is needed for small power systems.

Some tweeters also have a large chamber (enclosure) to lower the Fs like this one http://www.iwaispeakers.com/Tweeters/D27TN_LFS_RDFP/

Most of the tweeters are monopole only few specifically the pseudo ribbons like Bohlender Graebener https://www.parts-express.com/bohlender-graebener-neo3-pdr-planar-tweeter-open-back--264-762
are dipole. They must be put in a separate enclosure.

Last edited:
I know my question is vague,....
But thanks a lot Keith & diyaudio .... I got some better understanding now.

The reason for asking is as follows: (this is only for HT, not for Stereo)
I have an existing sub that will take care from 80hz to below.

From 80 Hz on wards, I have one single FR doing the duty in a sealed box.
It was pretty fine, but I felt the overall sound is a bit "dry".
Some sense of full bodied feel is missing (if these words convey what im trying to say..:))
May be this is just the sound signature of this driver.

So I am thinking, is it a good idea to add a bass driver to support the low end .... say from 80hz to 350hz.
I am just guessing this may give some more depth to the overall SQ.
But If I do so, where to add crossover is one question. Human vocals range from around 100Hz to 3Khz ??
If I add a crossover in this range, vocals will be split between FR and Bass driver. I don't know if it spoils vocals.

So these are a few points im trying to understand.
This is just the background for asking the question basically.

So I am thinking, is it a good idea to add a bass driver to support the low end .... say from 80hz to 350hz.
Yes you can add a xo to this region to run a full midbass. I would say keep it to 300hz.
Unless you go active with real time control of the driver, it will be very hard to sync it to the Ahiuja. You will have to correct phase issues depending on the order of the slope and also match the spl of the two drivers.
The FR is a high power and high SPl driver (typical of pro drivers), designed to handle large power with a long throw.
To mate it to a midbass is going to be a challenge, as you will need to find a woofer driver that can handle huge power and have a similar spl.

Then again, it completely nullifies the use of the Ahuja. So I would not recommend a misbass experiment with this Ahuja driver for your purpose. Also have a look at your AV Receiver and see if it is powerfull enough.
Most entry to mid-level multi channel receivers will put out less than 30 to 40 watts when driven in 5 or 7 channel mode. The high power 100 watt RMS specs etc. is usually only for 2-channel driven and the power is shared over the other channels.

Let me put it this way...I have personally experienced what a mid range avr can do when it is coupled with a pair of good towers, a good center channel, surrounds and a very good active sub.

But the speakers and sub combo I'm talking about costs around 2 to 2.5L

I don't have the skills and knowledge yet, but I firmly believe with diy and pro drivers, we can make such a system or even better, at a fraction of that cost.

My goal is to keep the source, avr, cables etc unchanged. Because I have seen what that chain can do when paired with good set of speakers. The only variable I have to build the best is speakers.

Once I feel that i made the best speakers possible, then if it becomes necessary to upgrade my avr or even cables, then I will venture on to those areas.

does this make sense ??

will still suggest, there could be one weak link in your line up which is bringing a bad name to your drivers. I suspect it could be your AVR. For the sake of experiment, try borrowing another and give it a try.
I will definitely do this....:D:D
There is every possibility that the culprit can be in my pocket all along !!!!!

Today, with a simpler 2 way setup, I would not put a tone / loudness control for a million dollar and some of those chaps listen to my setup glued to their seats not uttering a single word.
It surely takes a long road for me to reach there, acquiring knowledge steadily !!! Unless I straight away copy paste your design :D:D

To mate it to a midbass is going to be a challenge, as you will need to find a woofer driver that can handle huge power and have a similar spl.
Finding regular drivers itself is quite hard. As you said, finding a driver that mates well with this FR could be quite a headache.

Active crossover and measuring equipment are two areas I have to try for sure.

You are already on it and at a pace, I have not witnessed before !!!
Sir !!!! This is too much... :D:D You people are miles ahead. Comparing myself with you people is nothing but arrogance and overconfidence.

But on a serious note....I'm extremely happy to have come across Pro drivers and Fullrange drivers route !!!!

I agree this is an immature way of saying what I'm targeting to build.
By looking at this below pic, we can have a wild guess or imagine or atleast have a hunch on how this setup "may" sound.

Screenshot_2019-01-03-20-54-13-486_com.android.chrome.jpg

The three speakers in the middle, has 3 big drivers including bass drivers. So the lower mids are being handled by bass drivers, despite having dedicated subwoofers !!!

By seeing setups like these... I got this cruel idea of adding helper woofer to the full range. :D:D

Same frequencies produced by different drivers may sound different to our ears. In this context, i "imagined" that lower mids may sound more dynamic with a helper woofer.

Any way, my journey has just began with 5 budget FR drivers. Il try all options possible to endup with a good set up eventually. Obviously i have to look at all aspects including amplifier.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back