Step down power adapter

parambir

1. Is it recommended to get a receiver from USA. Offcourse considering the fact it is new with international warranty.

2. How does one manage effectively stepping down 230v to 110v and rated wattage so that the receiver gets the required power supply?

Thanks

You can buy a 230/110 volt step down transformer . Get a VA rating suiting your amp. Preferable to get an amp that can be switched to 230 V.
There is always a chance that you might plug in a 110V unit into 230 V when moving things around. It's happened many times before.
If you are super careful, go ahead and get a 110 v unit. Some units can be rewired to 230 V on the internal transformer ( they have taps) but not all amps have this provision. Many Yamaha 110V receivers have no such option.

My first option will be to ask yamaha service dealer if he can change power taps without voiding warranty. If not I know I will have to be SUPER ULTRA careful. Saw a couple of them on amazon. I think I will need minimum 500w rating.

Note that step down transformers are available as an 'auto' transformer or regular isolated secondary windings. In the first one , the neutral line is common for primary and secondary. This isn't critical to this application but more importantly an auto transformer costs much less than an isolated type.
Eg: Auto transformer (500VA) costing Rs 1,400/- is Rs 2,400 in isolated version. It uses more copper ! Ordering from a local transformer maker may be better. You can get any VA you want.

Just saw your second post. If you are looking at Amazon.com, look at Amazon.de or Amazon.co.uk . There you get 230V units. Sometimes could be cheaper than Amazon.com due to lower freight charges. Now with the GBP lower than earlier maybe there are better prices ......?

Last edited:
Step down transformers ( in a box !) are available across the counter in every city in India. The boxed ones have US style sockets on them. Cheaper than the price you have shown. My 500VA shop wound transformer looks much bigger than the unit in your picture. Unlikely that unit is 500VA !
If it's a plain transformer you can buy an extension box with multi type sockets and wire it to that.

There is no problem using the step down transformers . I have four gadgets that run off 110v step down transformers. Paint the extension box RED ( if you use one ) to indicate that it's 110 V. A 230 V unit plugged to that is no problem. But a 110V unit on 230V will blow it unless it's protected. Some newer systems with inbuilt smps are protected !

I just spoke to local Yamaha service provider. He says that will be able to do modification to the receiver to work on 230V. Though he said it will cost me around 8K !!! Weel I can negotiate that with him.

Personally I will always prefer an authorised dealer modifying it rather than using a 3rd party box to do the conversion.

I just spoke to local Yamaha service provider. He says that will be able to do modification to the receiver to work on 230V. Though he said it will cost me around 8K !!! Weel I can negotiate that with him.

Personally I will always prefer an authorised dealer modifying it rather than using a 3rd party box to do the conversion.

Only if he will offer warranty coverage for the full reciever !

else it may be cheaper to do it locally
http://www.hifivision.com/av-lounge...220v-indian-standard-without-transformer.html

@parambir: If Yamaha can do if officially, nothing like it. I have seen many of the AVR / APMS with dual setting and they use one of of them (either 110v OR 220v). So changing to 220 v is merely a toggle switch else a re-solder etc. Although, these are inside the power circuit board and should not be done DIY.

If not buy a 1 KVA (Min) Step down Transformer. I am using one since last 5 yrs, paid 2000/ - INR in Mumbai. Rock solid stuff.

Now the tech side. the AVR transformer is 110v , 60Hz, what we get after the step down is 110v, 50Hz. After a prolong and heavy duty use, there has been cases where the 110v AVR transformer got core saturation and failed. Very unlikely through. No noticeable change in the AVR performance though.

@parambir: If Yamaha can do if officially, nothing like it. I have seen many of the AVR / APMS with dual setting and they use one of of them (either 110v OR 220v). So changing to 220 v is merely a toggle switch else a re-solder etc. Although, these are inside the power circuit board and should not be done DIY.

If not buy a 1 KVA (Min) Step down Transformer. I am using one since last 5 yrs, paid 2000/ - INR in Mumbai. Rock solid stuff.

Now the tech side. the AVR transformer is 110v , 60Hz, what we get after the step down is 110v, 50Hz. After a prolong and heavy duty use, there has been cases where the 110v AVR transformer got core saturation and failed. Very unlikely through. No noticeable change in the AVR performance though.

Yes hopefully it works out. I am more concerned about right job than warranty.

I also told him that conversion is a matter of changing transformer primary tap from parallel to series. He said that it is possible only for international models. Well I know this model is available in Europe and they use 230v there. So I don't see a reason why it can't be done this way.

Hi,
I have similar situation. I have Denon 1913 - 450 Watts receiver. I m zeroed on to Maxine 750 Watts auto transformer with a Voltage cutoff added. Shah has agreed to add the voltage cut off for me . Comes to nearly 4K for this considering it is an auto transformer only.

I'm wondering if Murthy in Blr can provide any decent option for me with a poper cutoff version at a better price .

thanks
hg

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back