Stereo Amp and speakers under 30k

Dear ALL

Thanks a tonn for your support...

With your prompt response, and support, i have got the contact of Ramesh...

With meet him for sure...
Maybe if not for my stuff, then atleast i can help him with some sales...

Anyways, i still am not convinced for the second hand stuff, yes but, now atleast i will give it a secong thought...
And will meet ramesh and consult with him...

But for sure...will do some or the other sales...

Thanks once again...a lot..

you people are reallyy.. great...

Thanking You

Mridul Goel

By the way, Ramesh was also quite useful in helping me sell of my old Jamo speakers and Denon receiver. As you would know, it is easy to sell analog audio equipment, but selling used HT equipment is a different ball game.

Thanks,
Sharad

Thanks a lot guys. I've now got a starting point and am thinking along the lines of pre-owned or Indian brands(Norge amps, sonodyne sonus).

I've started auditioning - using an Audio CD that's a representative sample of what I hear - Time from Dark Side of Moon, So What from Kind of Blue, Pandit Jasraj's Adana rendition & a number from BB King's 'Completely well'. Plus I also carried along my DVD of Bela Fleck's "Live at the quick'

I auditioned some Polk Audio(monitor series), KEF and PROFX Fusion 5. There wasn't too much difference between Polk Monitor 50 or 60. The sound was crisp and clear, treble was little above what I would like. The speakers could being out minute details whcih the Fusion 5 couldn't (neither could the Mission Floorstanders which I heard later - can't remember the model, sorry). THe downside was that on the low-freq side, even though they packed enough thumps for my taste, it wasn't tight enough - as result of which the double bass solos in Miles Davis' Kind of Blue or Victor Wooten's fretless bass weren't brought out clearly. Another thing I noticed was the loudness seemed a little artificial - both in Polk and Fusion 5F - they didn't seem to be accurately recreating sound.

Is the range of music being auditioned too broad to be reproduced faithfully by low cost speakers?

Anyways, the good part was that I was offered the Polk Monitor 50(retailing 20k), a 9 month old demo piece for 12k and a denon PMA 500 for 13k.

So, what do you folks think? Is that value for money? Do I roll over and buy them even though I am not fully satisfied - or keep waiting for other 'used' deals...

I might be auditioning some more so will report back later.

Last edited:
Anyways, the good part was that I was offered the Polk Monitor 50(retailing 20k), a 9 month old demo piece for 12k and a denon PMA 500 for 13k.

So, what do you folks think? Is that value for money? Do I roll over and buy them even though I am not fully satisfied - or keep waiting for other 'used' deals...

I might be auditioning some more so will report back later.

Buddy...

PMA-500 AE, is really value for money...with an MRP of Rs.16900, they are offering you pretty good price...of Rs.13K...

And regarding Monitor 50, i feel, its nice, but yes not as natural as for " The Dark Side of Moon "... When the moonlight.......awsome track...

Anyways consult Ramesh, he will in better situation to help you with preowned stuff, yes but, keep Monitor 50 case alive, as they are good in that range...

Hi Kindofblue,
Why would u buy anything if u are not fully satisfied? U will soon want to upgrade and in the bargain end up wasting money.
J. Ramesh babu and similar who deal in pre owned gear will definately be able to get u more/better options than the denon integrateds.(both the 500 & 700) are very ordinary and a used Nad amp is a better bet. Speakers i dont want to comment as i have not heard the ones u listed.
BTW there are 2 nad amps for sale on this forum, one is with Ramesh and i am sure someone wants to sell his old C350. Please explore.
Best Regards

I would be using this setup with my PC as a source. I plan to get a decent soundcard and gradually convert my collection to FLACs.

why don't u check out audio engine 5 set of speakers... with built in class-d amp. solid 45 w rms and really tight bass thx to their kevlar drivers.

they retail for 19k and u can just plug and play (no need of seperate amp).

since u r going to be listening to music from pc, these speakers cud be a good option for u.

Dinyaar: I've decided to wait a bit, I tend to agree with you.
Vilfy: The AE A5 were in reckoning(looking at their reviews) but I can't audition them in Hyderabad... But they have a 30 day money back guarantee if ordered online, so I might just try it out. Thanks.

Dear kindofblue..

my humble suggestion.. As i mentioned before also, do check out the norge twr125 tower speakers before buying anything...i have also been auditioning a lot of brands and i was on a low budget, i can safely say these speakers were easily the best vfm..only reason i didnt buy them was because i was looking for a 5.1 setup..

Dear Koushik

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm trying to figure a way to audition Norge(both the amps and speakers) in Hyderabad.

In general a number of decent options(Norge being one of them) have emerged but none of them Hyderabad based...- This offsets their VFM proposition since the process will involve travel to Mumbai/Bangalore for auditioning and then having them shipped back to Hyderabad.. :confused:

oops...sorry I didnt notice that u are based in Hyd...sorry abt that..maybe you can call up the owner Mr. Shyam bajaj... his number is 9821871023...he might be able to tell you whether there is any way to audition the speakers in Hyd, he is an audiophile himself and very approchable..

Finally got my stereo setup up and running - it's a NAD C 340 with Dali blue 6006 floorstanders. Not the most dashing of amps but the combo sounds nice and to my liking - not-too-harsh highs, deep bass thats tight but not too boomy, melodic mids. Soundstaging seems decent as well.

THanks to all you folks for your comments and feedback - I went the pre-owned route mostly because of comments here. Essentially I couldn't find any new gear taht really caught my fancy in MY budget.

I got the gear after searching for nearly 2 months, talking to dealers, travelling to another city, scourging the net, reading reviews, comparing notes with others till it all came to a point when my family and friends started saying I must get a life :eek:

It's difficult to take individual names but this forum on the whole has some very forthcoming, helpful and enthusiastic people.

Next stop - a squeezebox :D

Cheers

Congratulations!

You got a very nice sounding combo. Both components are well known for their capabilities to reproduce music in its fullest form. Now you need to pay some attention towards speaker placement and room acoustics. And don't over spend on Interconncts, speaker cables and power chords!

Squeezbox route sounds (pun intended) quite logical. SB3 is available for Rs 18K with bill and warranty, gray market items even cheaper. 'Duet' is also worth considering but AFAIK it is not officily available in India.

Enjoy your music.

Finally got my stereo setup up and running - it's a NAD C 340 with Dali blue 6006 floorstanders. Not the most dashing of amps but the combo sounds nice and to my liking - not-too-harsh highs, deep bass thats tight but not too boomy, melodic mids. Soundstaging seems decent as well.

THanks to all you folks for your comments and feedback - I went the pre-owned route mostly because of comments here. Essentially I couldn't find any new gear taht really caught my fancy in MY budget.

I got the gear after searching for nearly 2 months, talking to dealers, travelling to another city, scourging the net, reading reviews, comparing notes with others till it all came to a point when my family and friends started saying I must get a life :eek:

It's difficult to take individual names but this forum on the whole has some very forthcoming, helpful and enthusiastic people.

Next stop - a squeezebox :D

Cheers

Congratulations Kindofblue.
Hope ur set up gives u hours and hours of musical bliss!
My family/friends have given up on me a while ago as they feel 'My hobbies' (bikes,cars,Audio) take up all my time!

HAHA Roc. Well i have a 2001 Honda City VTEC, a 2007 3L Honda Accord and a few bikes.(Yamaha RD 350,RX 100,Karizma ) Sold my old Honda Blackbird (CBR 1100 XX) and am looking for something i really like. So u see the constant 'tinkering' does take up a bit of time.

I don't think anyone will take you seriously until you show us a picture of that tannoy westminster that you posted for sale.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back