I am looking for an amplifier for my Dali Lektor 2 speakers
DALI speakers and products. Find the best loudspeakers in the world

Quick specs:
Frequency Range +/- 3 dB [Hz]: 49 - 27,000
Sensitivity (2,83 V/1 m) [dB]: 85.0
Nominal impedance [ohms]: 6
Maximum SPL [dB]: 106
Recommended amplifier power [W]: 25 - 100

Source: Asus Xonar Essence STX with RCA outs (HTPC)
playing flacs, AC3, DTSHD and TrueHD (blu ray) and everything else!

Room Size: 10x12
Usage: 50% music, 50% movies

I am not buying an AVR or a pre/power combo. I want to go for an integrated amp only since I can't compromise on music and I don't have a budget for 50k+ AVRs. After a lot of research, I have zeroed on these amps:

Marantz PM7003 > NAD 355BEE > Marantz PM6002 > NAD 326BEE > CA 640V2

First question: Are the first two overkill for these speakers?

The Dali Lektor pairs up very well with the Marantz PM6002. DALI used the PM6002 with the Lektor 2 in their stall at the Bristol Show last month and I heard it was very good. But only with music. No idea how they will sound with movies. At other times Dali used NAD amps with the Dali Lektor 1's (smaller than mine with less bass).

The Dali Lektor is known to gel very well with the NAD 325bee.
But the bass with these nads is supposed to be quite laid back. Is it true? Will it affect the movie experience?
I will be using a Velodyne subwoofer in 2.1 config for movies and 2.0 for music btw.

I don't know how the Cambridge Audio 540/640 will sound with the lektors. Nobody has advised me to get these but I will nevertheless audition them over the weekend since the dealer has them in stock.

The major issue (and why I have started this thread) is that the speakers are not broken in. They need 100 hrs at least. So I fear that might screw the auditions. No dealers in Delhi have these speakers either, so I can't get a broken-in pair for the auditions.

So what I want is feedback from all the NAD/Marantz/CA stereo Amp users on the following aspects:

In case of movies in 2.1, how do these amps (i.e. if you have used any of them or similar models):
1. Soundstage
2. dynamics
3. low listening fatigue

I know these amps sound good with music. My primary interest is in identifying which will perform the best with movie tracks.

TIA!

The little I've heard of Dalis, I'd say they are more on the forward side. Hence the nicest Marantz amp in your budget would probably be the best option. They are nice warm amps and are solid value for money.

I only have experience with the 325bee and Wharfedale 9.2s , but here is what I recommend based on my observations.

For a 100W speaker @85db sensitivity get atleast a 100 per. ch. rms amp, preferably a 150W amp. Else the sound may not be fluid and liquid at very low volumes and the "oomph" factor may be missing. Sure a good 50W amp will sound musical with a 100W speaker, but I think it is better to pair with an amp that will totally enslave and drive the speakers for that authoritative sound effect at low to moderate volumes. If the speaker sensitivity were >90db then maybe a 100W speaker paired with 50W might give that sound but IMHO better to shop for a high power amp for these speakers.

Regards

Last edited:
To be precise, I meant - of all the above in your list, the best bet would be the amp with most power :)

Cheers

[/QUOTE]To be precise, I meant - of all the above in your list, the best bet would be the amp with most power [/QUOTE]

I loved this!

Well each of the amps listed are good amps and you will find recommendations for and against each one from different folks based on their perceived strengths.

Just trying to make it easier :)

Cheers

hi bhaskie..

how much did u pay for xonar and where.....
which one is better xonar xtx essence or DX2..

Most of the integrated amps (including those you have mentioned) are 2 channel amps. I dont know many amps that are 2.1..... you have that in stereo reciever. Guess difficult to add a sub here.

regards

Last edited:
If the amp has a pre-out and main-in it should work with a sub.

Are you planning to turn off the sub and rewire the Dali's each time you want 2.0 ?

Cheers

hi bhaskie..

how much did u pay for xonar and where.....
which one is better xonar xtx essence or DX2..

Most of the integrated amps (including those you have mentioned) are 2 channel amps. I dont know many amps that are 2.1..... you have that in stereo reciever. Guess difficult to add a sub here.

regards

I got the Xonar Essence STX for $200 from US in Feb.
It has RCA outs, not 7.1 analog outs like the D2X. The analog outs of the STX is extremely high quality, and I find it better than the D2X.

Yes, they are 2 channel. The Marantz has two set of speaker outs, and the NADs have sub-outs. So no issues with sub!

If the amp has a pre-out and main-in it should work with a sub.

Are you planning to turn off the sub and rewire the Dali's each time you want 2.0 ?

Cheers

hmm.. not really! The Marantz PM 7003 has pre-out.
Moreover both the 7003 and 6002 have two sets of speaker outs, and a front knob to select A,B or A+B. So everything will work with the remote.
The NAD 355 has pre-outs. I don't know about the Cambridge 640A though.

I have the following quotes from dealers in Delhi:

Marantz PM 7003 - 34k
Marantz PM 7001 - 29k
Marantz PM 6002 - 21k
Marantz PM 4001 - 18k
CA 640A v2 - 26k

One dealer is praising the PM4002 a lot and says the PM6002 is not good at all. OTOH the store where I got the Dali Lektor's from in UK said that PM6002 is a great match.

Everybody says the PM7003 is amazingly good. But it is expensive.

Now the big problem is that none of these dealers in Delhi has the PM7003 or PM6002.

I am planning to get an audition with the 7001 and 4002 and decide probably.
There are no NAD dealers who got back. Sight and Sound didn't bother to reply to my mails and they are the only guys with NAD amps in town.

Is the Marantz PM 7001 a good deal at 29k?
Any feedback on the PM7001 or CA 640A v2 based on my requirements
(mentioned in the first post in this thread)?

Marantz PM 7003 - 34k
Marantz PM 7001 - 29k
Marantz PM 6002 - 21k
Marantz PM 4001 - 18k
CA 640A v2 - 26k

One dealer is praising the PM4002 a lot and says the PM6002 is not good at all. OTOH the store where I got the Dali Lektor's from in UK said that PM6002 is a great match.

Now the big problem is that none of these dealers in Delhi has the PM7003 or PM6002.

There are no NAD dealers who got back. Sight and Sound didn't bother to reply to my mails and they are the only guys with NAD amps in town.

Try contacting Refex-Pro Acoustics in Chennai for Marantz amps.

They are the south-indie disties.
Regards

Anybody knows where I can get the Marantz PM7003 in Delhi in grey prices?

I have been quoted Rs. 34200 by two dealers but I heard you can get it for around 26k in the grey market.

Marantz PM 7003 - 34k
Marantz PM 7001 - 29k
Marantz PM 6002 - 21k
Marantz PM 4001 - 18k
CA 640A v2 - 26k

I will advise technically-

Dali Lec2 are having sensitivity of 85 & power upto 100w,so need amp which will deliver atleast 120w.

Anybody knows where I can get the Marantz PM7003 in Delhi in grey prices?

I have been quoted Rs. 34200 by two dealers but I heard you can get it for around 26k in the grey market.

Chennai distie is known to be reasonable compared to Delhi chaps. He may ship to Delhi.
Or check with Dev of Bass & Treble in Coimbatore. He is happy to ship them too. I got my Marantz cd6002 from him that way.

Regards

I will advise technically-

Dali Lec2 are having sensitivity of 85 & power upto 100w, so need amp which will deliver atleast 120w.

hmm... Marantz PM7001 specs:
Power Output (8/4 Ohm RMS) 75/120 Watt

The Lektor 2 is 6 Ohm.

So I guess it will be driving each channel at around 100 W.

I am not aware of any mid price amp (below 35k) which can deliver 120+ W/channel.

There are these two:
Marantz PM-11S1
Power Output (8/4 Ohm RMS) 100 Watts at 8 Ohm/ 200 Watts at 4 Ohm

Marantz PM-15S1
Power Output (8/4 Ohm RMS) 90 W / 140 W

Do you know how much these two will cost?

Call Dev and ask: Bass Treble

At the risk of repeating please note, a 50W amp will not sound bad with a 100W speaker at all. My NAD 325 @50W sounds nice with the diamond 9.2s rated @100W with 96db sensitivity.

We are only talking about getting that extra juice ( at low to moderate volumes) that makes one lick his lips :)

Cheers

hmm... Marantz PM7001 specs:
Power Output (8/4 Ohm RMS) 75/120 Watt

The Lektor 2 is 6 Ohm.

So I guess it will be driving each channel at around 100 W.

Sounds good enough. The speaker impedance is actually a continuous curve that averages to 6 - I believe it slopes between 4 to 8 at various frequencies with 6 being nominal.

Cheers

The little I've heard of Dalis, I'd say they are more on the forward side. Hence the nicest Marantz amp in your budget would probably be the best option. They are nice warm amps and are solid value for money.
Agree with ROC.
Dali speakers: Anything below the helicon series are quite bright and voiced to excite. Go with a smooth sounding amplifier like the Marantz. Unless you want that extra bit of sibiliance - crispness to excite you..:)

At the risk of repeating please note, a 50W amp will not sound bad with a 100W speaker at all. My NAD 325 @50W sounds nice with the diamond 9.2s rated @100W with 96db sensitivity.

We are only talking about getting that extra juice ( at low to moderate volumes) that makes one lick his lips :)

Cheers

Seems you got the sensitivity wrong with your speakers :p!

Wharfedale Diamond 9.2 Specification:
Power 20-100W
Nominal Impedance 6 ohm
Sensitivity 86dB

I have zeroed down to the Marantz PM 7003 for now. I will be auditioning it when the dealer has it in stock (hopefully in a week or two!).

Cheers!

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back