Stereo Hunt in Kolkata (60k)

@tirthankar,

How do you compare EPOS M12i series with all the stuff you auditioned so far?

:)

Although the MRP is 55k , As kittu mentioned it can be bought for approx 45k .. A dealer in Pune quoted 62k recently and said he can get it down in the sub 50k range. did not inquire too much though
So the GS10 at 60k would be a 15k stretch

The OP heard the 601s3. since it is discontinued, the demo piece should work out in the 30k range so 15k stretch for the 685 and 30k stretch for the GS10
601 makes sense then.
With all improvements, 685 is not worth 15k more and definitely not 20k.
Ask for 601 for 25k then if it is demo piece.

@Flash - the dealer quoted 38k which definitely is too high. It makes sense at around 30-32k, I guess. He will definitelynot get it down to 25k.

@kittu - the epos is a very good speaker. the last time I heard it, it was played through the ca 650, creek evo, and a cayin 40 w pure class a. The epos sounded a little too bright to me (i prefer a warm to neutral sound) with the ca and creek. But the speaker itself had excellent detail and imaging and a very good midrange, and it shone with the cayin..making me think it prefers a high current amp with a beefy power supply. Bass extension and detail might be a little less compared to the kef and b&w. I will be able to be more subjective in my comparison after I have heard with my own amp.

Also regarding the placebo about warm up of amp, I had the same feeling. So what we did was after we had listened to the amp for around 20-30 mins, I went back to a track which was played earlier. There was a marked increase in smoothness and openness. The amp lets its quality known from the very start with excellent detail...but can sound a bit strained. That disappeared as the amp warmed up. Headroom, openness and dynamics, all improve by a great degree.

tirthankar, 38k is too high for a demo / Discontinued model

I guess 30k max should be your goal if you finally do settle down for it .

An approx high bid of 200 pounds with shipping of a hundred brings the total to 25k. Damn, just got 8 hours left. Cant get it if I want to listen to any other speaker. :(

Of course, if I do import, I have got another b&w in mind :)

Also, I know someone who sells used 603 S3 for 42k (neg). Let me know is you need contacts.

Also Iam no way related. Just passing the info. :)

Last edited:
Damn... damn...

Well he wasn't shipping ... :rolleyes:

@Flash - the second one is much higher up the ladder, the first one is close but only in name... ;) let's see

Edit: Blasto.. can you pm me the contacts? I am preferring a bookshelf, but having the contacts wont hurt. Thanks for the info

Last edited:
Also, I know someone who sells used 603 S3 for 42k (neg). Let me know is you need contacts.

Also Iam no way related. Just passing the info. :)

Did the speakers meet with an accident, I notice some dents and nicks. :D

@Flash - the dealer quoted 38k which definitely is too high. It makes sense at around 30-32k, I guess. He will definitelynot get it down to 25k.

@kittu - the epos is a very good speaker. the last time I heard it, it was played through the ca 650, creek evo, and a cayin 40 w pure class a. The epos sounded a little too bright to me (i prefer a warm to neutral sound) with the ca and creek. But the speaker itself had excellent detail and imaging and a very good midrange, and it shone with the cayin..making me think it prefers a high current amp with a beefy power supply. Bass extension and detail might be a little less compared to the kef and b&w. I will be able to be more subjective in my comparison after I have heard with my own amp.

Also regarding the placebo about warm up of amp, I had the same feeling. So what we did was after we had listened to the amp for around 20-30 mins, I went back to a track which was played earlier. There was a marked increase in smoothness and openness. The amp lets its quality known from the very start with excellent detail...but can sound a bit strained. That disappeared as the amp warmed up. Headroom, openness and dynamics, all improve by a great degree.
Hi Tirthankar,
It's my first post. Found your journey interesting & informative too. I'm also in search of a speaker (preferably stand mount) to replace my aviano 2 driven by ca 650 combo as I find the overall sound at the bright side of neutral. In this pursuit, I recently auditioned epos m12i with ca 550A at SKS. To me the treble was smooth, mid range superb and the bass had muscle and depth. Overall it was much much better than aviano 2. However, due to paucity of time I couldn't audition the QUAD 12L2. So, please do me a favour by auditioning QUAD 12L2 alongside epos m12i whenever you visit SKS next time.
Thanks
sdg

Friends.. my speaker hunt has finally drawn to a close. I have settled on a pair of speakers. After I have them with me, I will open another thread in the lounge sharing my complete setup.

It has been a great journey, and I thank everyone for participating in this thread or helping me in this search in any way. I know this has been just the first leg of my journey, and I am looking forward to my days in future.

Thank you all.

@sdg - thank you for your comments. However, having already settled on my speakers, I don't know if I will be going to the SKS for any further audition. I am sorry I could not help you with your question. If what I heard till now helps in any way, I feel the epos to be ahead the quad 11l2 in terms of detailing and overall quality. Quads primary strength is a very good midrange, acoustic jazz, vocals and soft instrumentals. But I felt it is less transparent, and if given the right amplifier, the epos will beat it in that aspect. Coupled with a high current and detailed amp, the speaker can shine. Both are pretty neutral in their approach, the epos being more so. But if you are looking for bass detail and not just bass weight, I feel both can be bettered.
But in the end, sks asked for 50k from me for the m12i which I felt is too high. The higher 30 to lower 40s will be more in line.
The above was just my view. As always, you or someone else may feel different. What type of music do you mostly listen to ?

Last edited:
@Tirthankar - Congrats dude :)

@sdg - I didn't hear 12L2 but came to know from a very reliable person that they are bright and forward sounding. Even 11L2 is brighter than 11L classic. When bi-wired 11L classic really sound smooth and laid back.
Aviano 2 is lower priced compared to Epos and Quad, so it make sense that later two sounded better than Aviano 2.

Last edited:
Hi Tirthankar,

Congrats. Good to hear that your search has finally ended. I am interested in the focal chorus 706v. Found your thread in the search.. very detailed and nice reviews of all demos. Awaiting review of your final setup. Congrats again.. and Happy listening.. :)

Hi Tirthankar
Thanks for replying sharp. Congrats for having settled for a pair of speakers. As regards type of music, soft melody is my first choice, be it belong to whatever genre. However, my test cd has the following tracks:
1.Classical vocal- Ustad Rashid Khan
2.Loving you-Kenny G
3.Apni ankhon ke samandar me-Jagjit Singh (Beyond Time)
4.Ye nayan dare dare-Jagjit Singh (Close to my heart)
5.Akash Bhara Surjo Tara-Lopamudra Mitra (Bishmaye)
6.Dekhecho ki take-Shubhomita (Brishti Paye Paye)
7.Classical Instrumental-Pt.Vishwa Mohan Bhatt
Hope, you get an idea.
I will be driving the epos M12i/quad 12L2 through my ca 650 combo. As you are well aware that these are very transparent gears, I wish the speakers to be on the warmer side of neutral. So please advise accordingly.
@koushik - Thanks for your inputs. Your comments/advice is eagerly awaited.

Last edited:
Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back