Stereo Hunt in Kolkata (60k)

Long time since I updated this thread.

Now that all my components are more or less with me, I thought I will post details about the system I bought.

The room needs a lot of work to be done, both acoustically and aesthetically.

The system being in place, I am going to look into making the room right around them.

Speakers:
B&W CDM1-SE 2nd generation

Power Amp:
Quad 306

Pre-amp:
Luminous Audio Axiom Passive pre (with Caddock upgrade)

Source:
Audio PC with Asus Essence STX

Interconnects:
Source-Pre: Audioquest Ruby X3
Pre-Power: VDH D102 MKIII HB with neutrik pro-fi termination

Speaker Cables:
Audioquest Indigo 2 Hyperlitz bi-wired

Stands:
Sound Foundations

1zg3ngp.jpg

2wd9ctk.jpg

2cwu7g7.jpg

35cjyie.jpg

2mwuwk0.jpg

For this system I am extremely grateful to an audiophile in Kolkata, whose guidance and help has been invaluable in my search.

All the stuff except the VDH, the Passive and the Essence STX has been bought used from either US or UK. The speakers cost me some extra for shipping.

But the music they make.. OMG. I am on my way to Nirvana

Congratulations @tirthankar. Let music be all around you. :)

BTW... I found your signature is missing. :)

-Cheers,
Saikat
-----------------------------------------------------------
Yamaha Aventage RX A810 | Monitor Audio BX2 | Yamaha YST-FSW050

After spending some time with the system, one thing I can say about it is that the music it makes is supremely realistic in its tone. I used to play the guitar and harmonica, and have attended quite a few live unattended western classical concerts.. I have not heard any speaker in my auditions which can render instruments as beautifully and realistically as the B&Ws. Acoustic instruments on these speakers sound simply superb.

My primary choice of music is classical (Indian and Western), classic rock, some jazz and blues, Old Hindi songs of Rafi, Kishore, Hemant and Lata, Songs of Tagore and old bengali film music.
But I am continually exploring music and my choice of music many a time does not follow a pattern.

The signature of the speakers is essentially warm and fatigue-free. The sound of these speakers dont attack the listener, but just flows. In that sense, these speakers are not the best choice for people who listen mostly to hard rock, heavy metal, hip hop or techno like dubstep, as the treble may sound too tame. But since I dont like a bright treble, for me these speakers fit like a hand in a glove.

The midrange is super smooth and detailed. Vocals have the emotion and the tiniest inflections in them making the singer stand out with a life like detail. Highs are super extended and airy, without a touch of sibilance except in the harsher recordings, like some of the heavily equalized pop albums or old recordings. The crash and shimmer of cymbals in an energetic jazz recording, rapid fire high passages of Eric Clapton, or Lata singing in her highest pitch, the speakers can give it all.

The bass is fantastic for a speaker of its size. Yes it cant go down to the lowest octaves of a double bass with the authority of a good floorstander, but kick drums have the energy to make the heart go thump.
Incidentally, the low frequencies are the area where I am facing the problems currently, as my room has significant modes in certain frequencies.. causing reverberation and boom.

The most awesome aspect of these speakers is the imaging and the soundstage. They just extend from wall to wall.Currently these speakers are along a 10 feet wall, and the soundstage is just as big. Earlier I had these speakers along a 15 feet wall, and the soundstage was just as big. And it is deep as well. At times, when fallen into a reverie during my late night listening, I have suddenly been startled thinking someone was knocking or making a sound from outside, then to realize it was just the music.

The speakers respond well to placement. I wont say they are fussy, because as long as its not stupid like sticking them in a corner, the speakers sound good firing straight through(unless it is the room which is fussy).
With the correct recording, the speakers literally disappear.. stand out of the soundstage leaving just the music. The live Pulse recording of Pink Floyd is an experience in itself, I never heard it like I heard it with this system and can never tire listening to it.
But a classical brings out the best in these speakers. The dynamics, both micro and macro, the scale of a full fledged orchestra reaching its crescendo or the quietness of the whispering passages in Adagio or Largo are all presented fantastically.
On the other hand, the typical variations of Ravi Shankar on his Sitar or the inflections in the Sarod of Ustad Amjad Ali Khan are not missed an inch.

The dynamics, soundstage, imaging and tone are perfect for classical.

I have a lot of work to be done in my room. The side walls are almost bare, and I have a high ceiling. I can feel that when I can control the flutter echoes and the low frequency issues, the system will sound even better.

Enough subjective ranting. Now I go back to my work. Have to finish fast and return home to have a longer time to spend with my new beauties.

Edit: Just to clarify, this system obviously has it's limitations. I would have got even better music if I had gone with higher quality components with a higher price.
But for the price I paid, I am happy and content.
And in case someone is wondering from the title. I seriously overshot my initial budget of 60k :eek:

Last edited:
Thanks Tirthankar for hosting me last week to listen to your stereo setup and let me tell you that I am thoroughly impressed with your effort.

This write-up is not really to complement you and your system over here, as that I have already done offline :) This is more for our forum members to know.

It is exactly a week ago (2nd Oct'12) I visited Tirtha's place to listen to his stereo setup. The 1st thing that one will notice the moment it starts playing is the detailing. He played me "the torrent - by Indian Ocean" and boy, the Guitar started playing from the left speaker, I could see fingers on the 6 strings playing them and the cymbal rang was literally vibrating infront of my eyes. The tonality was one would die for. The details and dynamism were topnotch with amazing headroom. The Soundstage was huge and everything were sounding realistic. The bass was really solid and full bodied and were really going low considering the size of the speakers. I keep saying this again and again - the cymbals were delicious and hardly ever heard such precise cymbals before.
I can safely say that this is the 2nd best system I ever heard. I think you know which is THE best system that I referring to and I believe you won't mind standing 2nd to that system :)

I think your signature is due for an edit.

Last edited:
Thanks Koushik, for coming over and for the kind words. We had a very nice session.. albeit a little short :)

Yes a lot of hard work went into the system, a lot still to go.
It feels nice when the results sound good to others as well.. :)

But as you saw yourself as well, there are still some areas which need improvement. Hopefully I will be able to address them soon enough.. and I would love it if you and anyone else could come over and have a listen again..

My pleasure Dada. I would love to visit your place again and again but the distance between us!

There is always room for improvement and even Sachin can improve, but that doesn't mean the present system is not excellent. Kudos to your time, effort and passion. Well done!

Updating the thread after a long time with some long pending renovations in my listening room.

As I had mentioned earlier, my room suffered from some low frequency overhang because of the high ceiling (11 ft) and the completely bare wall at the left.

Updates include broadband absorption panels in the first reflection points and tube bass traps in the two corners behind the speakers.
The panels were made with 4 inches of 24kg/m3 glasswool compressed to 3 inches, mounted 2 inches off the wall with air gap behind and sealed all around.

After the renovation, the bass problem has reduced considerably, with additional improvement in dynamics, focus, imaging and soundstage depth. The system can now go loud even more effortlessly, with no smearing or ear fatigue.

Some pictures..

14b5ngp.jpg

ezh5xj.jpg

Close up of the tube trap:
142by8l.jpg

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back