Stereo set up for Indian classical..Budget 1 Lakh

Focal 826 V FS - They did everything a bit better than 807 including the brightness, but were expensive at 1.18 Lakhs.

I was also told that they have a few pieces of focals left and they do not distribute them anymore. The new distributor is Preet Trading Corporation (I knew them as I dealt with them to buy Focals /JM labs for my car). The ProFX guy said that Preet Trading is selling focals at a much higher price, which could also be due to the price of the dollar.
mrsingh - Sir, would appreciate if you could help me from your recent experience:
I'm looking for the price of Focal 726V FS speaker pair. Could you find out from your local contact in Mumbai please ? Maybe some old stock from Pro Fx that's available at a good discount :licklips:

BTW, you mentioned that the Focal 826 was out of your budget at 1.18L but if I understood correctly you're now getting Rethm speakers, wondering how that fits in your budget since their entry level Trishna itself is priced at 1.25L :confused:

Last edited:
newhtdreamer,

lakozy in mumbai has a pair of Focal 716 or 816 i think for sale.. this is a demo piece..i had auditioned this. But i wonder how you will manage transportation from mumbai to bengaluru.

I may be wrong about the model number but pls see our thread "speaker poker with C356 " and there i have mentioned it.

They may still have it.. 022 - 23697001 or you may talk to Mr Harsh Merchant.

mrsingh - newhtdreamer posed a logical question for you :)) :))

rgds,
mpw

newhtdreamer,

I called profx to check for 726 but they have a 716 and they are quoting 76 K, and no discounts . You can reach profx on 022-65139936

As MPW mentioned I also saw a focals pair (Don'tn remember the model) and a Dali Ikon 6 at Lakozy, They said that they will give a good discount on Dali Ikon 6, May be thats applicable on Focals too, You must check.

Pricing for the rethms is still being discussed, I may fly down to Kochi to hear them before shipping and will finalise the price then. I did'nt bother much. As they say, there is no price for 'Love'

lakozy in mumbai has a pair of Focal 716 or 816 i think for sale.. this is a demo piece..i had auditioned this. But i wonder how you will manage transportation from mumbai to bengaluru.

I may be wrong about the model number but pls see our thread "speaker poker with C356 " and there i have mentioned it.

They may still have it.. 022 - 23697001 or you may talk to Mr Harsh Merchant.

I called profx to check for 726 but they have a 716 and they are quoting 76 K, and no discounts . You can reach profx on 022-65139936

As MPW mentioned I also saw a focals pair (Don'tn remember the model) and a Dali Ikon 6 at Lakozy, They said that they will give a good discount on Dali Ikon 6, May be thats applicable on Focals too, You must check.

Pricing for the rethms is still being discussed, I may fly down to Kochi to hear them before shipping and will finalise the price then. I did'nt bother much. As they say, there is no price for 'Love'
Thanks mpw and mrsingh.

I will get in touch with Lakozy/Pro Fx. I saw mpw's posts in the other thread (speaker poker..) and I think what Lakozy has is the 826, may be way over my budget but will check.

mrsingh - you seem to have crossed the budget world and have got into the pure audiophile world to experience bliss, all the very best :).
Do keep us posted with the final price that you pay for the Rethm.

There seems to be a lot of curiosity around the price I got for Rethm Speakers. Its 75K (excluding shipping)

It was quite a stretch from my budget, specially when I am putting together 2 systems simultaneously.

for last few days I was also exploring about the right amplifier to drive these speakers. We tried to drive bigger Saadhnas with a Miniwatt amp and Lyrita 2A3 and both did a decent job, Lyrita was of course better. I want to take my time before deciding the right amp for these speakers. Meanwhile our FM Jai1611 has agreed to lend his miniwatt amp for sometime.

The next query now is which CD player to use?

Since my budget was a modest 20K, I was initially thinking of buying a Marantz 5004, but I am getting the feedback that these are very revealing speakers and they must be paired with a good quality CD player to get optimum results. I can increase my budget a lil bit but still not sure what CD players will be suitable for this setup.

I am getting a used CA 640C for 10 K and a Denon 1500SE for 28 K ? What do you think?

On a separate note, this community has helped me a lot and once I put my system together everyone is invited to be my guest for a listening session :)

Congratulations on the Rethms mrsingh!

I recall that a FM balu had put up some his RWA gear for sale some time back.
He was going back to the US but I don't remember if they got sold.
Might be worth a look. He was Bangalore based.

Thanks Nikhil,

I have messaged balu613 and waiting for his reply

Last edited by a moderator:
There seems to be a lot of curiosity around the price I got for Rethm Speakers. Its 75K (excluding shipping)

It was quite a stretch from my budget, specially when I am putting together 2 systems simultaneously.

for last few days I was also exploring about the right amplifier to drive these speakers. We tried to drive bigger Saadhnas with a Miniwatt amp and Lyrita 2A3 and both did a decent job, Lyrita was of course better. I want to take my time before deciding the right amp for these speakers. Meanwhile our FM Jai1611 has agreed to lend his miniwatt amp for sometime.

The next query now is which CD player to use?

:)

With an efficient speaker you are going to get, seriously consider going the vinyl route. Look for a vintage TT with an amplifier having a good phono, and invest money in a good cartridge.

Manoj

@ Nikhil,

I got a message from balu, He has put off the sale of his gears.

@ mksharan,

This is my first setup, I will keep adding gears to it, TT is a definite yes in next 6-9 months. I love the old world charm :)

@ Nikhil,

I got a message from balu, He has put off the sale of his gears.

Too bad. I would suggest you keep in touch with him. He had some really good stuff on sale.
His RWA amp would go very well with your Rethms.

Aftet spending so much on speakers a low end cdp will not do justice. Although price is not a real indicator or test of SQ, a ball park for product range would be 30k for cdp and 10k for IC and a non budget tube pre-power amp.

Just a warning sign for the road ahead. If not now a year later you will definitely end up spending more... :)

Sent from mobile on a crappy keyboard. Pls excuse typos.

Hi All,

The Rethm Maarga's took longer than I thought to configure and are expected to arrive the coming Sunday. I must say that dealing with Jacob from Rethm has been a true pleasure.

Meanwhile, I have purchased the Stibbert Goldenote Tube CD player and a Lyrita 2A3 Amp from a friend. I guess this system is the one of them best I could have bought as a newbie. Looking forward to the speakers to arrive and once I have put them together, I will be happy to host FMs for a listening session.

Meanwhile, the secondary system (for TV) is yet to fall in place, I have bought a Denon 1510 Amp but have not liked any speaker yet. I had finalized a Paradigm monitor 7 but after doing the home demo, I realised that Bass is too boomy for TV usage. so had to return the Paradigms.

Last edited:
The Stibbert Goldenote Tube CD player is a pretty serious CD player.
This setup is far exceeding the original outlay - outstanding selection of electronics.

Congrats, mrsingh! Your 2-channel system is shaping up to be quite the serious setup!

Thanks Nikhil /Hydra,

Now I am waiting curiously for the speakers to arrive from Cochin. Shipping was an issue but we have figured out a way with Jet Air.

Yes the out lay has been significantly more than I intended but the thing with music systems is that once you have heard a good one, you just don't feel like settling for less. I could have started small and have upgraded my way up but I guess you end up spending more time and money in the process. I guess I should be happy and content with this system for a few years.

mrsingh, congrats. you have certainly made a strong debut with tube CD, tube amp, lowther (isnt it modified version). Cant call yourself a newbie...

This is going to be a setup that you will be happy with for a long long time. I don't know if you have checked but have an electrician take a long hard look at your wiring. If you're going with tubes, it's better to have a dedicated line isolated from all your home appliances. I had a pretty scary start to my setup when the tubes in my preamp sniffed out some issues in my wiring. I ended up removing my setup from the inverter supply.

I must add that almost all the research was done through the forum and some of the Fm helped me alot. Specially Jai1611, he has extremely helpful and hosted me quite few times to hear and experiment with his systems. I in fact bought my Stibbert Goldenote CD player and Lyrita Amp from him only.

Many thanks to forum members and Jai1611.

@ Nikhil,

That's a useful advice. I will keep that in mind for the power supply. Thanks

@ Gerry,

Yupp, Its the new version drivers that have been installed (Lucky I am, isn't it). Jai1611 heard them recently in Cochin and loved them.

Some listening impressions mr singh ???? I hope you must have listened to the setup extensively by now would appreciate some impressions from your end.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back