Stereo set up for Indian classical..Budget 1 Lakh

mrsingh

Dear All,

I have benefited alot from this forum and I hope it will help me now to make my first serious purchase.

I am looking to put together a stereo set up and by budget is 1 Lakh.

I listen to: Ghazals(30%), Qawwali (30%), Indian Classical -Instrumental (10%), Jazz (10%), Bollywood(10%), Soft Rock -Pink Floyd, Bryan Adams etc(10%)

I plan to put this up in my bedroom which like most Mumbai bedrooms is 10 by 12. Also, I like to listen to my music at low to moderate volumes. I attend 30-40 concerts in a year and so would love my music set up to be as close to the 'Live' performance as possible.

I am starting with a Speaker + Stereo Amp + DAC / DVD player set up and will later add a turntable.

I have been considering following instruments.

Speakers: (50-60K)

I think a Bookshelf will be more suitble given my room size and I have auditioned only a Dali Ikon 1 and found it decent.

I have read good things about Lyrita Harmony One on the forum, even though they are FS. I will try to audition them.

PSB Image B5 and B6

Hari Iyer's ATL BS

Amps (40-50k)
Tube Amps : A Lyrita Amp (2A3 SET or Integre two) or a second hand Cadence CA 01
SS Amps: Marantz 7004, Simaudio

I have following questions and would request the experts to share their views

1) Can you suggest some more speakers for my genre ?
2) Should I go for a tube amp or a solid state ?
3) Your views on the Amps mentioned.
3) Any suggestions for the source - my dealer is recommending not to go for a CD player but for a wireless DAC as a lot of my music is digital. I already have a pioneer DVD player (4K) for CDs.

Regards

Last edited:
Hi mrsingh,

For your room setup and music preference I would suggest NAD 326 BEE with PSB Image B6 BS combo as they will sound good on vocals and also give a very fatigue free laid back sound which can be listened for hours together. Also invest in some good speaker wires and speaker stands.

Just my Rs.2/-

N.Murali

Dear All,

I have benefited alot from this forum and I hope it will help me now to make my first serious purchase.

I am looking to put together a stereo set up and by budget is 1 Lakh.

I listen to: Ghazals(30%), Qawwali (30%), Indian Classical -Instrumental (10%), Jazz (10%), Bollywood(10%), Soft Rock -Pink Floyd, Bryan Adams etc(10%)

I plan to put this up in my bedroom which like most Mumbai bedrooms is 10 by 12. Also, I like to listen to my music at low to moderate volumes. I attend 30-40 concerts in a year and so would love my music set up to be as close to the 'Live' performance as possible.

I am starting with a Speaker + Stereo Amp + DAC / DVD player set up and will later add a turntable.

I have been considering following instruments.

Speakers: (50-60K)

I think a Bookshelf will be more suitble given my room size and I have auditioned only a Dali Ikon 6 and found it decent.

I have read good things about Lyrita single driver speakers on the forum, even though they are FS. I will try to audition them.

Amps (40-50k)
Tube Amps : A Lyrita Amp or a second hand Cadence CA 01
SS Amps: Marantz 7004, Simaudio

I have following questions and would request the experts to share their views

1) Can you suggest some more speakers for my genre ?
2) Should I go for a tube amp or a solid state ? Which one?
3) Any suggestions for the source - my dealer is recommending not to go for a CD player but for a wireless DAC as a lot of my music is digital. I already have a pioneer DVD player (4K) for CDs.

Regards

Hi, if you really want to listen quality music, first you need to select best possible source with in your budget, dvd player is a bad choice for music listening, even though it can play, it wont sound anywhere near as good as a dedicated cd player. So buy a good Audio Cd player first and then split the remaining budget between amp and speakers. I made the same mistake before I realised the difference between a dvd player playing CD and dedicated CD player

Cheers,
Sunder.

You probably mean Dali Ikon 2, as Ikon 6 is a floor-stander.

A tube amp will be a great company to the Ikon 2 as they are highly sensitive. If you use a tube amp, you may miss two things - some low end grunt and ear-splitting volume levels. But for 90% of your listening habits (as per your description) you will have plenty loudness to satisfy you in a small to medium room.

Hi mrsingh,

For your room setup and music preference I would suggest NAD 326 BEE with PSB Image B6 BS combo as they will sound good on vocals and also give a very fatigue free laid back sound which can be listened for hours together. Also invest in some good speaker wires and speaker stands.

Just my Rs.2/-

N.Murali

Dear Murali

I still have the nad 325 and now I use a tube. a SS amp in this budget will not hold a candle to a tube amp. Even with its merits of laid back sound, other things will be missing.

You probably mean Dali Ikon 2, as Ikon 6 is a floor-stander.

A tube amp will be a great company to the Ikon 2 as they are highly sensitive. If you use a tube amp, you may miss two things - some low end grunt and ear-splitting volume levels. But for 90% of your listening habits (as per your description) you will have plenty loudness to satisfy you in a small to medium room.

If the sensitivity is 91db or whereabouts, I think a 5 to 9watt tube amp will do great for loud music as well.

I would recommend the OP listen and audition the Lyrita setup above all else then decide. Do remember to play lively music and note if the pace results in unconscious foot tapping. Because in everything else it is sure to exceed your expectation, but speaking in general a good tube amp with all its tonal qualities and great frequency extension may not guarantee liveliness.

I think my 8.5W tube will drive the low-end of a speaker pretty well if the speaker is capable of it and has the right sensitivity and efficiency.

--G0bble

Last edited:
If the sensitivity is 91db or whereabouts, I think a 5 to 9watt tube amp will do great for loud music as well.

Exactly my sentiments!

My opinion on tube amps changed after I pitted a low-wattage tube amp to a 88db 4Ohm load and it came out on the top. Tube amps deliver much more (compared to their SS counterparts) than their "wattage" suggests.

mrsingh,

you must try the Transmission Line bookshelf ( there are posts and reviews of hari Iyers Bookshelf variety ). Since you live in Mumbai.. i am sure you can link up and organize a demo at your place / amplifier dealers place with this bookshelf.

before you make up your mind. Please do give this a serious listen. having experienced it in my home.. i think this will do very well with the genres you mentioned and besides it will be cheaper too.

The FM's have mentioned some good points regarding tube amps and with my experience of tube amps being rather limited.. i will not comment except to say that i heard tube amp at FM Jaibirs place and i think it will go well with the TL Bookshelf mentioned.

try and decide..

regards,
mpw
Mumbai

+1 to what mpw states above .....

Your music choice is practically the same as mine, and I possess a TL floorstander made by Hari Iyer. There is a whole thread dedicated to it here. For your room size, without a doubt, it has to be a BS one of which was recently tried out ... a thread on that too is present.

Since you are in Mumbai, do audition the TL BS speakers and try compare its SQ with the live concerts.

have a look at PSB B5 and B6. For your room size and music u are after they are great.
They will save you some cash.

Also for sale is going to be my lively:p paradigm titan monitors with stands made by fm magma:) google them up!...pick up the nad amp from our sale thread to pair if still available and you will love it and highly recommended by fm mpw too :p pm if intrestd :)

Hi,

As per murali n suggestions NAD 326 BEE with PSB Image B6 BS combo. Or get Paradigm Mini Monitors (Series 7) bookshef speakers.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Setup: Samsung 32LED + Onkyo-HTS3300, Xtreamer / Paradigm Titans Monitors + Denon-PMA-510AE + Asus Xonar Essence STX.

Since your inclination is towards classical. You can try Acoustic Portrait (AP). Siva is known for his perfection for classical. I own AP and have heard his reference system. Dhrupad by Gundecha brothers comes alive on his reference system.

There are two numbers AP pre-powers up for grabs in this Forum, both @ 48K ... true VFM buys, IMO. Get one of these, and procure TL floorstanders from Hari .... a total investment of little over a lac ........ and you are set for a very long time!

Since your inclination is towards classical. You can try Acoustic Portrait (AP). Siva is known for his perfection for classical. I own AP and have heard his reference system. Dhrupad by Gundecha brothers comes alive on his reference system.

Yes the designer uses HM as reference music.

There are two numbers AP pre-powers up for grabs in this Forum, both @ 48K ... true VFM buys, IMO. Get one of these, and procure TL floorstanders from Hari .... a total investment of little over a lac ........ and you are set for a very long time!

Perfect chance opportunity to own at low cost a system optimzed for Hindustani! I second that whole heartedly!

--G0bble

Hi mrsingh,

Just my Rs.2/-

N.Murali

i second this recommendation. indian classical can be slightly on the bright side esp the highs coming through a bit harsh and therefore inducing listening fatigue. the nad gives warmth to the music and extremely full on vocals. you can also look at pairing it with the monitor audio rx2 bookshelves. nad and psb are sister concerns and a very good match as well

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back