Stereo setup for music

The amp's role begins when the analogue signal reaches it, the speaker similarly will only be in the picture when the speaker level signal leaves the amp and reaches your speakers through the speaker wire, simple, eh? :)
So that leaves the DAC, the DAC here is important, it must have the ability to process 24/192 resolution, once that is done the DAC will send the analogue signal to the amplifier to begin the aforementioned journey.

Do note that a poorly recorded Hi-res music track is not better than a well recorded paltry 16/44.1 one. In my experience you need very fine tuned equipment to get the full benefit of hi-res tracks, that is not to say there are no benefits. The entire chain will have to be in harmony for you to enjoy these the best. I have heard how good hi-res audio can sound but after a certain point it will require a golden ear to be able to make the distinction.
For example I can not find any difference between say the same track from the same album, one is sampled at 96KHz and the other at 192, that could mean my ears are not good enough or my system is not as revealing to highlight the little difference which is supposedly there.

Thank you for the lucid explanation, it really helped in understanding the concept better and will be able to make a better decision in my process of setting up my stereo system.

Is there anyway to play FLAC files without the use of computer? My business involves watching multiple screens for the entire day, and I really do not want to play music using a computer where I have to see the screen again.

This is another reason I am not listening much music at home, as I need to either turn on the TV to play the music, by accessing the files from the computer using WI-FI, that again requires me to watch the TV, and another thing is that I can't have a playlist.

So I have kept couple of my CD's in my car and listen to music while I am driving. As its pretty simple process to enjoy music from the current complicated setup I have at home.

So is there anyway to listen to flac files watching least possible screen?

In my stereo later I had planned to add a CDP also, which would have been a simple process to listen to music. But reading some thread in this forum, it looks like CD is a passe and also I am not able to get hold of many CDs that I want to buy in India. So that has compelled me to download music from internet in FLAC format. But due to lack of knowledge of playing these files simply from my computer without watching the computer screen or the TV, these files just stay stored in the hard disk.

Please guide.

Sorry if I am not able to express myself properly and for a lengthy post.

well if youre storing it on your computer, then its a simple process of playing it off your computer. but will involve looking at your computer screen. there are quite a few players that play flac. foobar is one of the most popular

well if youre storing it on your computer, then its a simple process of playing it off your computer. but will involve looking at your computer screen. there are quite a few players that play flac. foobar is one of the most popular

Yes currently I use foobar whenever I play from my computer.

In case I have an external Hard disk drive and store the music in it, is there a way to play it then without use of a computer and some equipment that can be connected to the Amp ?

Thanks

Yes currently I use foobar whenever I play from my computer.

In case I have an external Hard disk drive and store the music in it, is there a way to play it then without use of a computer and some equipment that can be connected to the Amp ?

Thanks

How about a Raspberry Pi? You can use it via a UPNP player installed on your mobile. Kodi or Moode installed on the Raspberry Pi can play almost every format available.

MaSh

So is there anyway to listen to flac files watching least possible screen?

@benz , if you don't mind switching on the computer, you can play all that you want from your phone/tab. no need to look into the pc screen.
you can use Foomote app on your tab/mobile and set up Foobar as a startup program on pc. you can play/queue music from any storage device connected to pc.

PS: i assume you've Wifi connection and your pc is on network

How about a Raspberry Pi? You can use it via a UPNP player installed on your mobile. Kodi or Moode installed on the Raspberry Pi can play almost every format available.

MaSh
Is raspberry pi one time setup and then I connect it to the amplifier with External hdd connected to pi?

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

@benz , if you don't mind switching on the computer, you can play all that you want from your phone/tab. no need to look into the pc screen.
you can use Foomote app on your tab/mobile and set up Foobar as a startup program on pc. you can play/queue music from any storage device connected to pc.

PS: i assume you've Wifi connection and your pc is on network
In this case I need to connect the output from the computer to the amplifier? The computer and amp will be in different places, anyway to transfer music to amp using WiFi. My computer is connected to the WiFi router and is always on.

For your scenario you can look at a network player such as the Marantz NA7004 or something similar. The DIY route is a lot cheaper with a Raspberry Pi, there is a very detailed thread available in the forum for this, just take a look. If you have a spare laptop then run Daphile on it and that will be a complete player for you, control it with your phone or a tablet. Options are plenty, research a little and choose what is the best solution for you.

Is raspberry pi one time setup and then I connect it to the amplifier with External hdd connected to pi?

That is Right. Connect it once and put it in a corner of your cabinet. I am powering mine from the USB port of my set top box. HDMI out goes to my receiver for both Audio and Video. Pi is ON all day and night. Its working really hard with someone or the other streaming something to their mobiles. On the mobile app you get the option to play it on the Pi itself so the output would be to whatever amp you connect it to or you could play it on your phone. Check out the Raspberry Thread on this forum where some heavy weight members have beautifully posted the instructions to use it in every possible way. I am still at the beginning of the learning curve, so can only tell about how its currently working in my setup.

:thumbsup:
MaSh

Thanks Shibashis, MaSh this is really very helpful info shared :)

Looking at the requirements, it seems rpi should be the best solution around. You might need an external usb dac or a hat board like hifiberry dac+/iqaudio pidac+/audiiphonics pi dac etc.
The best part is - rpi runs headless (I.e. no monitor required) and the player (mpd) can be controlled using a smartphone.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

raspberry pi is the way to go. there is some inputs required from a software programming / installation point of view with linux. but nothing unachievable. so your setup would be

external hardrive>rpi>dac>amp>speakers

In the mean while I tried to learn more about controlling the music from mobile phone using bubble upnp app.

It works like a charm and plays the songs in my computer through any of the devices connected to the network. Right now I have a TV and a bluray player connected to the network and it identifies both of them.

The bluray player does not have any audio out in it, and has just speakers output which is my HT setup.

The TV though has audio out as well as optical out. So to begin with can I feed the TV audio out to the integrated amp? Does a Sony Bravia TV has got a good DAC?

Later after my purchase of speaker and int amp is done, I will add a DAC by taking out optical signal from the TV, if at all an external DAC is suggested.

Doing this the TV has to be kept ON to listen to music, but as the controller will be mobile phone I am fine with it.

Is it the right way of going? And more importantly will the TV DAC be enough to give good SQ when fed to the Amp?

Later I am going to add Pi + DAC, if that is better than using the TV to play music.

Thanks

Sony Bravia TV
@benz , i'm not aware of your tv model, but Bravia 950C doesn't contain RCA out. you would have to use headphone out. in my case , i use digital out from tv to DAC.
in your tv , you should have an option to switch off the picture [mine has].

and personally i don't like audio out from tv - doesn't sound clean.

@benz , i'm not aware of your tv model, but Bravia 950C doesn't contain RCA out. you would have to use headphone out. in my case , i use digital out from tv to DAC.
in your tv , you should have an option to switch off the picture [mine has].

and personally i don't like audio out from tv - doesn't sound clean.
My TV model is SONY BRAVIA KDL-55W850A

1ddfec49e4c446c972cd46ad1aeaadc7.jpg

These are the terminals as in the pic. Yes you rightly said there is no RCA out

In the mean while I tried to learn more about controlling the music from mobile phone using bubble upnp app.

It works like a charm and plays the songs in my computer through any of the devices connected to the network. Right now I have a TV and a bluray player connected to the network and it identifies both of them.

The bluray player does not have any audio out in it, and has just speakers output which is my HT setup.

The TV though has audio out as well as optical out. So to begin with can I feed the TV audio out to the integrated amp? Does a Sony Bravia TV has got a good DAC?

Later after my purchase of speaker and int amp is done, I will add a DAC by taking out optical signal from the TV, if at all an external DAC is suggested.

Doing this the TV has to be kept ON to listen to music, but as the controller will be mobile phone I am fine with it.

Is it the right way of going? And more importantly will the TV DAC be enough to give good SQ when fed to the Amp?

Later I am going to add Pi + DAC, if that is better than using the TV to play music.

Thanks

Is the Audio Out, RCA ports? If yes a simple 2.1 setup from Sony, Panasonic, etc should get you started. My father in law is using his Sony TV and Panasonic 2.1 speaker this way. HDMI from Set top box goes directly to TV. The RCA out sends the audio to the speakers. The sound quality is quite good. He has his chromcast too, connected to the TV. So basically TV is his receiver.

If the Audio Out is not RCA then you'll have to pick speakers that can accept digital inputs. If I remember correctly the TV would give out stereo sound only, even from digital out. You could confirm on that.

Take a call with future in mind, whether you want a Stereo setup or a Home theater to put that Bluray to better use. If hometheater is the future, then getting a receiver with just front speakers would be a good start for now.

MaSh

Last edited:
Is the Audio Out RCA ports? If yes a simple 2.1 setup from Sony, Panasonic, etc should get you started. My father in law is using his Sony tv and Panasonic 2.1 speaker this way. HDMI from Set top box goes directly to TV. The RCA out send the audio to the speakers. The sound quality is quite good.

If the Audio Out is not RCA then you'll have to pick speakers that can accept digital inputs. The TV would give out stereo sound only even from digital out. You could confirm on that.

Take a call with future in mind, whether you want a Stereo setup or would you want to connect a receiver and 5.1 speakers to your Bluray player. If hometheater is the future, then getting a receiver with just front speakers would be a good start for now.

MaSh
The thing is I already have a HT that comes with the Blu-ray player. It's a 5.1 setup. It's good for movies but not good for music. My car simple audio system sounds better when it comes to playing CD.

So I am just looking for a simple stereo setup for music which I can easily play after my work to enjoy music with least complications :)

The thing is I already have a HT that comes with the Blu-ray player. It's a 5.1 setup. It's good for movies but not good for music. My car simple audio system sounds better when it comes to playing CD.

So I am just looking for a simple stereo setup for music which I can easily play after my work to enjoy music with least complications :)

Oh okay got it. In that case what you can do is, get a basic DAC such as FiiO and a 2.1 speaker set from Sony or Panasonic depending on your liking.

Links:

1. FiiO D03K Coaxial/Optical to R/L Audio convertor - This has Optical as well as Coaxial inputs to be connected to your TV's digital out. The RCA out can be connected to either of the speaker systems listed below. This will surely sound better than the DAC in your TV.

2. Sony SRS-D9 2.1ch

3. Panasonic HT20 2.1

Both these speaker systems have USB ports, so anyone could plug in a pen drive/Hard disc and play music without going through the hassle of switching on TV, opening mobile app, connecting, etc.

MaSh

Last edited:
I do not have any experience with Sony Bravia TVs but I am almost certain that a TV's audio out will leave a lot to be desired for stereo listening. A TV's DAC has no reason to keep audio quality as its top priority, whatever it produces is just fine for TV speakers and manufacturers know very well if you want better sound then you either go with mass market HT solutions or the component route.

Invest in a DAC, do your research and run RPi in conjunction with the DAC, you will be set and happy with a bit of tweaking.

Oh okay got it. In that case what you can do is, get a basic DAC such as FiiO and a 2.1 speaker set from Sony or Panasonic depending on your liking.

Links:

1. FiiO D03K Coaxial/Optical to R/L Audio convertor - This has Optical as well as Coaxial inputs to be connected to your TV's digital out. The RCA out can be connected to either of the speaker systems listed below. This will surely sound better than the DAC in your TV.

2. Sony SRS-D9 2.1ch

3. Panasonic HT20 2.1

Both these speaker systems have USB ports, so anyone could plug in a pen drive/Hard disc and play music without going through the hassle of switching on TV, opening mobile app, connecting, etc.

MaSh

I have decided to go for BS speakers, and have done auditioning of couple, few are out of budget like KEFQ300.

The hunt for speakers and an integrated amp is still on.

My main concern was to feed the amp with music in the simplest possible way, which looks like to be addressed using a Rpi-DAC-Amp or TV-DAC-Amp.

I will keep the option open for the DAC to also have an USB input so that if at all I would like to listen to latest songs from online sources like Gaana.com or Savan or similar s/w sources for discovery of music, I can use my mobile/computer also as a source.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back