Stereo setup for music

Discussed the above options with my better half, who likes to listen to music as it comes in a CD or other source without taking the pain to think what to listen next or creating a playlist.

So I will have to buy a DAC for my playlists etc that I will stream from Rpi and a CDP to enjoy music directly from CD's

I will try to search for a DAC that will have USB as well as optical input.

For CDP - for now Pioneer dv-3052 is it a good option ? It is not a dedicated CDP, but then the entry level CDP is out of my budget right now.

If FM suggests that entry level CDP will make lot of difference to the SQ than the pioneer dv-3052, I will try to procure a used dedicated CDP.

Please suggest :)

Most DACs today will come with optical,coax and USB input.
When using a DAC no need to go for high-end CD players IMHO. Take the coax/optical out of the CD/DVD/BluRay player and channel it to your DAC, feed the output of the DAC to the amp.
Have you earmarked a budget for the DAC? If you do then people can provide their suggestions in that range.

Most DACs today will come with optical,coax and USB input.
When using a DAC no need to go for high-end CD players IMHO. Take the coax/optical out of the CD/DVD/BluRay player and channel it to your DAC, feed the output of the DAC to the amp.
Have you earmarked a budget for the DAC? If you do then people can provide their suggestions in that range.
So far I have not set a budget for a DAC. Is it okay then to get the pioneer d3052 cd cum dvd player and then add a good dac to it later?

I have kind of zeroed in on Dali Zensor 3 speakers. I was thinking if Marantz -M-CR510 network player which has integrated stereo amp will be a good option for this? This I am getting for 31K on Hifi mart.

Will there be a major SQ difference compared to Marantz M-CR510 ( which has everything in it, from DAC, to streamer, and also amp) to beginner level of individual components like below

Marantz PM 5005/ Yamaha A-S500 + Schiit Uber 2 Dac + Pioneer DV 3052v ( DVD/CD Player) and/or Rasp Pi (wireless streaming or Hard disk attached) + Bookshelf Speakers

Any inputs from FM regarding this will be really helpful to me in making the decision.

Thanks

Last edited:
if i were you and were to go in without audition (cant really audition all the pieces in the setup together) i would go with the marantz all in one. great value. though someone was telling me that the price quoted at 31k is an old price.

Have you checked with Norge? A 1200 professional preamp + 1200 propower + TWR 125MKIII tower speakers and pre phono amp will cost you around 45k.well within your budget.with 6k more you can add a Tuner too.
contact.
laxman
225 hammersmith ind estate,sitladevi temple rd.,mahim,mumbai-400016.
98218 71023/2446 6627.
www.norgeaudio.com

I have kind of zeroed in on Dali Zensor 3 speakers. I was thinking if Marantz -M-CR510 network player which has integrated stereo amp will be a good option for this? This I am getting for 31K on Hifi mart.

Will there be a major SQ difference compared to Marantz M-CR510 ( which has everything in it, from DAC, to streamer, and also amp) to beginner level of individual components like below

Marantz PM 5005/ Yamaha A-S500 + Schiit Uber 2 Dac + Pioneer DV 3052v ( DVD/CD Player) and/or Rasp Pi (wireless streaming or Hard disk attached) + Bookshelf Speakers

Any inputs from FM regarding this will be really helpful to me in making the decision.

Thanks

Did you consider a Mini System such as DENON D-M40 with matching speakers.

Application:

• Analog Audio Input x 1 - Connect DTH Setup box, Blu-ray Players, DVD Players, CD Players, Network Media Players, Gaming Consoles, Camcorders, Cameras, Smarphones, Tablets, Laptops, MP3 Players, Media Players.
  • Digital Optical Audio Input x 2 - From TV, Apple TV, Blu-ray Players, CD Players, Network Media Players, DAC's, Gaming Consoles.
  • Audio Preout (SW) x 1 - Connect Subwoofer
  • USB Input: From Pen/Flash Drives/iPod/iPhone.
  • Phones Out x 1 - For Headphones. When Headphones are connected the output from speakers & subwoofers will be off.

MaSh

Last edited:
if i were you and were to go in without audition (cant really audition all the pieces in the setup together) i would go with the marantz all in one. great value. though someone was telling me that the price quoted at 31k is an old price.

I will try to audition Marantz M-CR510 sometime this week and take a call.

I am also in a look out for old models of marantz PM 50xx series or Pm 60XX series (used).

Did you consider a Mini System such as DENON D-M40 with matching speakers.

MaSh

I never saw this until you posted here. I could not find much reviews also about it and without a demo of it I don't know if I should go for it.

Have you heard it somewhere ?

Have you checked with Norge? A 1200 professional preamp + 1200 propower + TWR 125MKIII tower speakers and pre phono amp will cost you around 45k.well within your budget.with 6k more you can add a Tuner too.
contact.
laxman
225 hammersmith ind estate,sitladevi temple rd.,mahim,mumbai-400016.
98218 71023/2446 6627.
Norge Audio

Thanks, will check out.

@benz
There is a Marantz PM5004 on sale on HiFiAds.
You may want to check it out.
Cheers,
Raghu

You may easily get a pre-owned Marantz PM6004/6005 under Rs15000-Rs18000 or you may go for a very decent vintage amp/receiver which is a much higher value for money. Nowadays, a beautiful fully restored vintage amps costs about as low as Rs16000-Rs20000. It's definitely worth looking at it, especially if you are quite handy with electrical tools and so many free resources are out there which helps you troubleshoot them in case there's a need to repair, unlike the new models.
I myself bought a few (even sold for higher value) over the past two years both locally and internationally and finds them much more worth the money.

Last edited:
Howz the search getting along? Shortlisted on any toys?

So far ELAC B5/B6 in mind for speakers, with either yamaha as500 amp or marantz pm series.

Also one dealer said to consider MA bronze 2 speakers for music. I could not have audition for that yet.

@benz
There is a Marantz PM5004 on sale on HiFiAds.
You may want to check it out.
Cheers,
Raghu

@raghupb

Thanks Raghu for the heads up. I am currently travelling and will be back in July.

I had decided to go for ELAC B5/B6, their sensitivity are on the lower side so will PM5004 (35 WPC) will be able to drive the speakers properly ? If yes then I will initiate a conversation with the Hifi ad person and see if the deal works out.

Back