Stereo setup for music

benz

Hello everyone,

I have been going through the threads of this forum, and found it has lots of valuable information and filled with helping members. I thank you all for sharing your valuable knowledge for the benefit of the community.

So far I have been listening to music using my computer sound card and 2.1 speakers of creative, and I also have a HT setup, but that is more of a family choice of Sony HT with tower speakers, which of course ruins my music experience.

I am a music lover and mostly listen to rock, classic rock, soft rock, blues, jazz, easy listening, old hindi classics. My wife on the other hand would like to listen to bollywood music, mostly contemporary.

So, now I want to setup a stereo system only for music, with initial budget of about 50K for speakers and amp. I will add CD player, DAC and other instruments later as I start to enjoy the new system. For now I will be playing my CD's from my laptop which I will connect to the amp. (Please guide me if I am going wrong in doing this, and I would be happy to alter my thought process and go with my purchase accordingly)

So far I have just visited to one shop, from where I regularly buy my music CD's.

They gave a demo of Cambridge Audio Topaz AM10 integrated amp and ELAN bookshelf speakers ( I do not recall the model number), the speakers cost about 28K, Amp 22K.

I was pretty impressed with the sound, but then it was a short demo and the songs they played were not of my taste as such. So next time I will take my own music and go for a demo. Also it was a huge move up from my current setup, so that could be another reason to feel the sound was of great quality and was pretty musical.

I seek advise from members here to please guide me to choose a good stereo setup for home.

If you are open to used equipment, keep a lookout on the forum and HiFi-Ads.
Speakers yuo can definitely buys used and get great deals.
Every once in a while good IAs come on sale.
Cheers,
Raghu

If you are open to used equipment, keep a lookout on the forum and HiFi-Ads.
Speakers yuo can definitely buys used and get great deals.
Every once in a while good IAs come on sale.
Cheers,
Raghu

Thanks for your reply, yes I am open to used equipment and yesterday I did check out the sale from owners thread :)

The issue is I don't know which is a good equipment that I should be in a look out for :D

Hello everyone,

I have been going through the threads of this forum, and found it has lots of valuable information and filled with helping members. I thank you all for sharing your valuable knowledge for the benefit of the community.

So far I have been listening to music using my computer sound card and 2.1 speakers of creative, and I also have a HT setup, but that is more of a family choice of Sony HT with tower speakers, which of course ruins my music experience.

I am a music lover and mostly listen to rock, classic rock, soft rock, blues, jazz, easy listening, old hindi classics. My wife on the other hand would like to listen to bollywood music, mostly contemporary.

So, now I want to setup a stereo system only for music, with initial budget of about 50K for speakers and amp. I will add CD player, DAC and other instruments later as I start to enjoy the new system. For now I will be playing my CD's from my laptop which I will connect to the amp. (Please guide me if I am going wrong in doing this, and I would be happy to alter my thought process and go with my purchase accordingly)

So far I have just visited to one shop, from where I regularly buy my music CD's.

They gave a demo of Cambridge Audio Topaz AM10 integrated amp and ELAN bookshelf speakers ( I do not recall the model number), the speakers cost about 28K, Amp 22K.

I was pretty impressed with the sound, but then it was a short demo and the songs they played were not of my taste as such. So next time I will take my own music and go for a demo. Also it was a huge move up from my current setup, so that could be another reason to feel the sound was of great quality and was pretty musical.

I seek advise from members here to please guide me to choose a good stereo setup for home.

Hi Benz,

I see that you are also from Pune. Can you please let me know the shop name and address where you auditioned the amp and speakers?

Hi Benz,

I see that you are also from Pune. Can you please let me know the shop name and address where you auditioned the amp and speakers?
Hi,

The shop is oceanic sound and vision, it's near mg road. The lane connecting near thousand oaks to East Street and mg road.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Hi

See Hi Fi Ads....or For Sale by Owner.....there will be something you may find interesting....let us know what you find within your budget and we will advise you...

Hi

See Hi Fi Ads....or For Sale by Owner.....there will be something you may find interesting....let us know what you find within your budget and we will advise you...
Yes that sounds good, will share if I like something good.

To start with there is an integrated amp PM6004 for sale in this forum.

Any inputs about this will really help me a lot. Is it better than Cambridge Audio Topaz AM10, which I have heard.

Thanks

benz,

Marantz PM series are good. I can attest to it as I own PM7001.
PM series is better than Topaz series.
I have only one thing against Marantz in India though. Their pricing.
It is on higher side for some unknown reason as compared to prices internationally.
So expect used PM series to be priced accordingly.

Cheers,
Raghu

benz,

Marantz PM series are good. I can attest to it as I own PM7001.
PM series is better than Topaz series.
I have only one thing against Marantz in India though. Their pricing.
It is on higher side for some unknown reason as compared to prices internationally.
So expect used PM series to be priced accordingly.

Cheers,
Raghu
Thanks a lot for your valuable input. I want bookshelf speakers, because of space constraints, can you please suggest some? Accordingly I can be in a lookout for pre owned ones.

Thanks again, folks here are really helpful

Long live music that makes one happy and high :)

Bookshelves/standmounts are good for smaller spaces; so don't feel you have compromised on SQ.
Some of the usual suspects on the forum are:
WharfeDale, Dali, Q-Acoustics, ELAC, Pioneer-AJ, Monitor Audio, PSB, KEF, B&W ...
For Amps the list is:
Marantz, CA, NAD, Denon, Yamaha ...

I am sure I have missed out many brands.
Suggest you budget about 25-30K on speakers and 20-25K on amp, if your budget is 50K for now.

If your primary source is PC/laptop, one more route to take is DAC+Preamp or DAC/Pre combo with active speakers. I have read on this forum that Swans are decent active speakers.

Take your time; you will find the right match up and price specially since you are open to buying pre-owned.

Cheers,
Raghu

PM6004 used will be an excellent start for you. There is a just fantastic speaker available for sale with one of our forum members here in Kolkata, the Usher V601.

If you can bag these two the combination will keep you happy for a long long time to come. Later add a DAC/CD player and you will have a quality stereo setup.

I know the member personally and the speakers are hardly 6 months old, moreover I own the same speakers and can vouch that better speakers at this price point are very hard to find.

Hello everyone,

So, now I want to setup a stereo system only for music, with initial budget of about 50K for speakers and amp.

Hi Benz,

Please follow the link below for dealer information in Pune.
http://www.hifivision.com/authorised-dealers/2178-dealers-pune.html

There are lot of guys in Pune who can help you with auditions and narrow down your choice of amp and speakers. If interested PM me.

Bookshelves/standmounts are good for smaller spaces; so don't feel you have compromised on SQ.
Some of the usual suspects on the forum are:
WharfeDale, Dali, Q-Acoustics, ELAC, Pioneer-AJ, Monitor Audio, PSB, KEF, B&W ...
For Amps the list is:
Marantz, CA, NAD, Denon, Yamaha ...

I am sure I have missed out many brands.
Suggest you budget about 25-30K on speakers and 20-25K on amp, if your budget is 50K for now.

If your primary source is PC/laptop, one more route to take is DAC+Preamp or DAC/Pre combo with active speakers. I have read on this forum that Swans are decent active speakers.

Take your time; you will find the right match up and price specially since you are open to buying pre-owned.

Cheers,
Raghu

Hi,

Thanks for the details, yes the CDplayer and/or DAC is on the cards too, once I setup my initial system. Active speakers I do not know if they will be as good as with separate amp and speakers, so did not consider those.

I will try to get as much audition possible of the brands you mentioned, I might also go to Mumbai too for audition for the ones not available in Pune.

And yes I will try to be patient :)

Last edited:
PM6004 used will be an excellent start for you. There is a just fantastic speaker available for sale with one of our forum members here in Kolkata, the Usher V601.

If you can bag these two the combination will keep you happy for a long long time to come. Later add a DAC/CD player and you will have a quality stereo setup.

I know the member personally and the speakers are hardly 6 months old, moreover I own the same speakers and can vouch that better speakers at this price point are very hard to find.

I tried to search Usher V601 in the Sale from Owners section, could not find it. Is it put up for sale yet?

Thanks

Hi Benz,

Please follow the link below for dealer information in Pune.
http://www.hifivision.com/authorised-dealers/2178-dealers-pune.html

There are lot of guys in Pune who can help you with auditions and narrow down your choice of amp and speakers. If interested PM me.

Thank you for the link. I did go to AV Excellence yesterday, but they did not have a single stereo amp for audition, they had AVR's and were saying these days mostly people buy HT more than just stereo. But they said if I order they can get what I need.

They are very friendly and have a nice room for audition.

for speakers at that budget, the wharfedale diamonds is a good option. a step up would be the kef q300 and the quads. for an amp look at the yamaha. again a step up would be the marantz. theres a marantz that comes with internal dac and airplay etc. not sure what the model is but comes in at a good value

for speakers at that budget, the wharfedale diamonds is a good option. a step up would be the kef q300 and the quads. for an amp look at the yamaha. again a step up would be the marantz. theres a marantz that comes with internal dac and airplay etc. not sure what the model is but comes in at a good value

I tried the KED Q300, but that is out of my budget, it did sound wonderful though, if I get it in used market then I will still consider it.

Other speakers you mentioned I have not yet auditioned.

I auditioned KED Q300 with Yamaha A-S500.

I think with internal DAC Marantaz is model Number 6005, but it is I think in the range of 45K.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back