Stereo Setup under 1L

NAD 355 BEE is the ultimate choice...

with that just look out and pair it with either

Usher - X-616 / CP-718 or if you can stretch a bit then nothin like Be-718.
or
Quad
or
Paradigm - Studio 100

I think you need to audition all of them, using your ipod.

One suggestion here :

As you mentioned that you will be using your iPod, then please make sure that you are not connecting it through the 3.5mm Jack to RCA cable to your amp, otherwise it will sound horrible.
Make Sure you get a good iPod Dock, which can connect to your amp... Probably the NAD one only...

could i know how much those usher will cost roughly? Gradually i am able to differentiate between the SQ of an Ipod compared to wave format,may be in future i may get rid of this ipod thing totally.

As far as I know, even if one loads songs in uncompressed Wave format or Apple's lossless on iPod or iPhone, it will not give same output as a CD playing the same song. I loaded some songs onto my iPhone in Wave format, plugged this into the Marantz CD6003's USB port which is iPod/iPhone/USB compatible, compared it to a CD playing the same song on the same player. CD sounds definitely better. As per info from member magma in this thread:
http://www.hifivision.com/surround-amplifiers-receivers/8348-stereo-setup-5-1-a-5.html
iPod/iPhone out through a dock (except Wadias) seems to have some restrictions due to some licensing issues. The good thing is this CD player plays Wave files directly from USB pen drive without the iPod/iPhone-like restriction.

@bmrind: I would strongly suggest you consider a dedicated CD player instead of using your iPod as a source. Compressed audio formats in the iPod are already compromised and a one-lakh setup will remind you that everyday:) The other option is to buy a DAC but this assumes that you have good lossless FLAC or Wave songs.

IMHO, the best possible combination for your hundred thousand must have a dedicated CD player besides a stereo amp and a pair of floorstanders or bookshelves (your choice).
Joshua

obviously i have future plan to go for a dedicated CDP but the thing is where will i get OST of 95's to 05's collection of A.R.R collection?i jus coudnt find a new Taal Audio CD in chennai.Visited almost major outlets,still not able to find.wonder how do you people maintain your old collections?

could i know how much those usher will cost roughly? Gradually i am able to differentiate between the SQ of an Ipod compared to wave format,may be in future i may get rid of this ipod thing totally.

Usher X-718 - Rs.60K
Usher CP-718 - Rs.85K
Usher Be-718 - Rs.1.1L

NAD iPod dock - Rs.15-20K

See, the difference you will get by using the dedicated iPod Dock, is that the connections, between the amplifier and the Dock...

Instead of spending 15-20K for iPod Dock, if you buy a dedicated CDP for around Rs.25K, that will be much better..., but as you have most of your collections, in your iPod, then prefer goin in for an iPod Dock only...for now...

As far as I know, even if one loads songs in uncompressed Wave format or Apple's lossless on iPod or iPhone, it will not give same output as a CD playing the same song. I loaded some songs onto my iPhone in Wave format, plugged this into the Marantz CD6003's USB port which is iPod/iPhone/USB compatible, compared it to a CD playing the same song on the same player. CD sounds definitely better. As per info from member magma in this thread:
http://www.hifivision.com/surround-amplifiers-receivers/8348-stereo-setup-5-1-a-5.html
iPod/iPhone out through a dock (except Wadias) seems to have some restrictions due to some licensing issues. The good thing is this CD player plays Wave files directly from USB pen drive without the iPod/iPhone-like restriction.
Joshua - the operative word here is - DAC - take the o/p of the ipod playing uncompressed files in the digital format through a suitable dock (like the wadia which I have) and then using a DAC (very important) to connect to your pre or integrated. Just playing a uncompressed file from the ipod through its internal DAC is not going to compare to CD sound IMO. I have done a side by side analysis and I am hard pressed to tell the difference between lossless wav and direct cd sound. Anyways this is my opinion and is working great for me so much so that I only listen to CD playback ocassionally now. In the future I plan to upgrade to an Olive.
Cheers
Sid

Last edited:
Or you can send your ipod for modding to iMod from Red Wine Audio if its from 4th, 5th or 5.5 generation iPods and NOT a classic. Note that after the mods, you will not be able to use the ipod with your earphones, it will work as a line out only that would require a headphone amp to use with ear/headphones. Plus, you will require the ALO LOD to connect it to external amplifiers.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back