Stereo Setup under 1L

bmrind

Hi Friends,this is my 1st post in this forum.It will be more helpfull for me to zero in on perfect combination of equipments for a decent stereo setup within a buget of 1 Lakh under expert guidance of members in this forum.My room size is 10'x18' and the set up will be on 10 feet wall.After going through related threads/posts in this forum,i have narrrowed down to choose either MARANTZ 8003 or NAD 355BEE amplifier.Now i am totally confused on speaker part(preferably Floor Standers) between Quad,Mordaunt Short,Monitor Audio,Dali and Wharefadle.I listen mostly to A.R.Rahman music,tamil movie sound tracks,bit of hindi and english (50% A.R.R+30%Tamil movie OST+20% Hindi/English).I dont have any dedicated CDP,i may opt for in future.Also most of my collections are in Ipod,it would kind if you give suggestions on how to get the best out of my Ipod in a stereo set up.

To make an ipod perform its best IMO - you will need to burn the music files as high resolution wav or apple lossless or other hirez lossless formats. Then you will need to use an appropriate dock (like a wadia 170i or even the onkyo) which will allow the use of an external DAC. I am quite satisfied with the SQ of my 160g ipod playing high resolution WAV files through a wadia 170i into a musical fidelity v8 dac that I do not always feel the need to use my rega apollo cd player.
Cheers
Sid

in case you do prefer the Mp3 form of music, 1 lakh would only bring out the limitations of the format. ill third the above statements and suggest something on the lines of the denon D-F107 or 103
For what it does and supposed to do, it does it great.

bmrind,

you could use your ipod. simply get an ipod dock which allows you to take a line out from the ipod to rca left right into your amp, instead of using the headphone out socket.

this way you could spend more money now on speakers and amp and later on add a dedicated cd player when money allows. you could even look out for second hand cd players like nad/marantz in the sell section on this forum.

regards

@alpha,interesting thought definitely,and vaguely remember a discussion on the same in whats probably a 'dead nd buried' thread.still,logic would dictate that any file once converted to a 'lossy' format will be missing many 'bits nd pieces' in the interests of file size.now i would be hard pressed to believe that its possible to recreate the same original file from a 'lossy' one,without missing a few of those 'bits'.true?cheers

@the OP,excuse the divergence from the main topic,lets get it back on track.
ur budget is very very reasonable for a good setup and am sure that once ur auditioning starts,u will be in a better frame of mind to take the right decisions regarding pairing/partnering equip.
speakers are a very subjective preference,listen to a few,finalise on the speaker that sounds best to u,and ul get more help from the members reg amps/player nd such.as stevie mentioned,the ipod(playing lossless files) thru dedicated dock is the best way for now.happy hunting.cheers

Last edited:
For your kind of music, I'd look at the Quads.

And with the iPod, you'll basically be ruining any hope of decent music. I assume you listen mostly to MP3 music, this is pretty much useless to spend 1L on a setup to use MP3 files as source material. You can get by with a 20K setup, it won't make a difference.

Thanks for your reply,i too own lots of collection in OST but the thing is some have got old,scratched etc..etc.Also those collections are hard to find only in such cases i go for Ipod.

To make an ipod perform its best IMO - you will need to burn the music files as high resolution wav or apple lossless or other hirez lossless formats. Then you will need to use an appropriate dock (like a wadia 170i or even the onkyo) which will allow the use of an external DAC. I am quite satisfied with the SQ of my 160g ipod playing high resolution WAV files through a wadia 170i into a musical fidelity v8 dac that I do not always feel the need to use my rega apollo cd player.
Cheers
Sid

Thanks for your suggestion,indeed i have a plan to own a DAC but the salesguys at the store during Audtioning say its doesnt make any difference.Thats why was hesitant to own or not

bmrind,

you could use your ipod. simply get an ipod dock which allows you to take a line out from the ipod to rca left right into your amp, instead of using the headphone out socket.

this way you could spend more money now on speakers and amp and later on add a dedicated cd player when money allows. you could even look out for second hand cd players like nad/marantz in the sell section on this forum.

regards

Your Excatly right this is what a salesman told me as a time being solution.Thanks man!

NAD 355 BEE is the ultimate choice...

with that just look out and pair it with either

Usher - X-616 / CP-718 or if you can stretch a bit then nothin like Be-718.
or
Quad
or
Paradigm - Studio 100

I think you need to audition all of them, using your ipod.

One suggestion here :

As you mentioned that you will be using your iPod, then please make sure that you are not connecting it through the 3.5mm Jack to RCA cable to your amp, otherwise it will sound horrible.
Make Sure you get a good iPod Dock, which can connect to your amp... Probably the NAD one only...

@alpha,interesting thought definitely,and vaguely remember a discussion on the same in whats probably a 'dead nd buried' thread.still,logic would dictate that any file once converted to a 'lossy' format will be missing many 'bits nd pieces' in the interests of file size.now i would be hard pressed to believe that its possible to recreate the same original file from a 'lossy' one,without missing a few of those 'bits'.true?cheers

@the OP,excuse the divergence from the main topic,lets get it back on track.
ur budget is very very reasonable for a good setup and am sure that once ur auditioning starts,u will be in a better frame of mind to take the right decisions regarding pairing/partnering equip.
speakers are a very subjective preference,listen to a few,finalise on the speaker that sounds best to u,and ul get more help from the members reg amps/player nd such.as stevie mentioned,the ipod(playing lossless files) thru dedicated dock is the best way for now.happy hunting.cheers

Obviously your right lets focus on our main topic,Well i auditioned Marantz 8003 with Wharf 9.6 and 10.6 which sounded bright.the sales guy told me it will become soft after burn in time of the speakers.

Also auditioned Nad 355BEE and Marantz 8003 with Monitor Audio RS6.In both combination i was not able to find any difference hardly.But the salesman suggested me to go for Marantz for my preference of music.this combination was lukewarm with all treble and bass in flat position.

Guys thanks for all your suggestions/replies.My Budget For Speakers is 50k,Amplifier 40k and interconnects& wires 10k this is my break up.But for 50k i cant go for Quad's i believe correct me if i am wrong.

Now kindly Suggest me which amplier to opt for MARANTZ 8003 or NAD355BEE based on my listening Preferences

Next i have Short listed the Speakers Based on various threads/posts in this forum
Dali Ikon 6
Mordaunt Short Mezzo 6
Monitor Audio RS6
Wharfadle 10.6

Also Kindly suggest me which amp will do a perfect combo with the above mentioned spekers.

However i will be the auditioning dali and MS in a weeks time.

Well i auditioned Marantz 8003 with Wharf 9.6 and 10.6 which sounded bright.the sales guy told me it will become soft after burn in time of the speakers.

Hi,

Were the Wharfedale's also new?I find it surprising that demo speakers have to "burn in". I would expect demo equipment to have been well done.:)

Regards
Rajiv

Guys thanks for all your suggestions/replies.My Budget For Speakers is 50k,Amplifier 40k and interconnects& wires 10k this is my break up.But for 50k i cant go for Quad's i believe correct me if i am wrong.

Now kindly Suggest me which amplier to opt for MARANTZ 8003 or NAD355BEE based on my listening Preferences

Next i have Short listed the Speakers Based on various threads/posts in this forum
Dali Ikon 6
Mordaunt Short Mezzo 6
Monitor Audio RS6
Wharfadle 10.6

Also Kindly suggest me which amp will do a perfect combo with the above mentioned spekers.

Try standmounts: Dynaudio Audience 52, EPOS M12.2/M12i, Focal chorus 807V. In chennai focal could be auditioned at Profx in specncer plaza. Epos, Dyns at Decibels i suppose:eek:hyeah:

Last edited:
Cheers
Sid

As far as I know, even if one loads songs in uncompressed Wave format or Apple's lossless on iPod or iPhone, it will not give same output as a CD playing the same song. I loaded some songs onto my iPhone in Wave format, plugged this into the Marantz CD6003's USB port which is iPod/iPhone/USB compatible, compared it to a CD playing the same song on the same player. CD sounds definitely better. As per info from member magma in this thread:
http://www.hifivision.com/surround-amplifiers-receivers/8348-stereo-setup-5-1-a-5.html
iPod/iPhone out through a dock (except Wadias) seems to have some restrictions due to some licensing issues. The good thing is this CD player plays Wave files directly from USB pen drive without the iPod/iPhone-like restriction.

@bmrind: I would strongly suggest you consider a dedicated CD player instead of using your iPod as a source. Compressed audio formats in the iPod are already compromised and a one-lakh setup will remind you that everyday:) The other option is to buy a DAC but this assumes that you have good lossless FLAC or Wave songs.

IMHO, the best possible combination for your hundred thousand must have a dedicated CD player besides a stereo amp and a pair of floorstanders or bookshelves (your choice).
Joshua

Dali Ikon 6
Mordaunt Short Mezzo 6
Monitor Audio RS6
Wharfadle 10.6

I have marantz and rs6, pls PM me . I can help i suppose.

Dali Ikon 6
Mordaunt Short Mezzo 6
Monitor Audio RS6
Wharfadle 10.6

if you are interested in going the separates way, someone had posted to see the interest for a used Dynaudio 52 for 32K. I beleive thats a much better speaker than what you are auditioning. If you could add the amount saved into the amp and make it 55K you could get a killer combination...and a budget for an really good amp.

another option may be to try out Virens Amp+Speakers...they seem to have their fair bit of Fans on this forum.

For your kind of music, I'd look at the Quads.

And with the iPod, you'll basically be ruining any hope of decent music. I assume you listen mostly to MP3 music, this is pretty much useless to spend 1L on a setup to use MP3 files as source material. You can get by with a 20K setup, it won't make a difference.

Hi Cranky

Any Ipod Dock in your mind which can be used instead of this if one HAS to use the IPOD as a source

Make Sure you get a good iPod Dock, which can connect to your amp... Probably the NAD one only...

Looks like you missed reading the previous posts in the thread. For now, the Wadia i170 is the best dock for ipod and itunes < US$500. But even by its previous standards, it falls short for audio quality relatively. Since the intial batch there are issues of jitter when using the coax output. A number of cheap mods are avaialble that seem to correct these.

Nevertheless this is a very cheap way to bypass the crappy DAC in the iPhones and pods.

This is one of the reasons I am ticked off by Apple despite their ground breaking design and engineering offerings. For all that they limit integration with other devices severly while offering very low quality audio output options.

Personally, i woudl junk ipod/iphone and just get a media streamer and hook it up to my system - wired or wireless. Easy integration, cheap way to listen to high quality music without being limited by the ipod capacity and using iBloatware (itunes).

Disclaimer: I have owned ipods before and an iphone now - which is only used for communication purposes. Except for first gen, I have given away the ipods within a month or so due to the audio quality.

Hi,

Were the Wharfedale's also new?I find it surprising that demo speakers have to "burn in". I would expect demo equipment to have been well done.:)

Regards
Rajiv

I am not sure whether its brand new or a bit old one but it sounded bit bright and even the sales person acknowledged the same.

Back