Marantz NR 1200 + Wharfdale bookshelf or floorstander ?

balajeem

Hello,

My audio source is only youtube from my Samsung TV , planning to connect the TV HDMI ( ARC ) to Marantz and have not decided on the Wharfdale Diamond bookshelf or floorstander..

Room size: 17x15 - Living room
Audio source - TV, or perhaps some playback via Bluetooth from a mobile phone.

am currently living in the USA, not have much time to audition, hence would just go with some recommendations from this forum.

The reason for going for 2 channel setup ( no plan of buying a subwoofer now as if I buy floorstanders I believe it would suffice for some time ) is to hear music.

I shortlisted on this slimline receiver due to it's 75W/channel capability, thought Wharfdale Diamond towers can be easily driven by this amp.

Any other combo suggestion is also appreciated.

wondering what Audio source I could try , anyways that's a different topic altogether.

Interests: classical, Tamil/Hindi movie songs and some popular English hits that my kids tune into.

Budget: $1000 or a little over that.

I shortlisted on this slimline receiver due to it's 75W/channel capability,
In proper stereo amplifier usually one gets more power at 4 ohms compared to 8 ohms. But in budget network receivers the capabilities are made less so as transformer and output components do not get hot for long runs. The model you choose have low power in to 4 ohms. Most speakers with ratings as 8 ohms typical have low 4 ohms dips in some frequency bands and sometimes even lower than that. Since you want stereo system do look in to these things. depending on speakers. and if amplifiers are capable of low impedance loads. Unfortunately I can not recommend you any specific model as I have no practical experience of it.
Ofcourse it also depends on volume you choose and type of music.

regards.

In proper stereo amplifier usually one gets more power at 4 ohms compared to 8 ohms. But in budget network receivers the capabilities are made less so as transformer and output components do not get hot for long runs. The model you choose have low power in to 4 ohms. Most speakers with ratings as 8 ohms typical have low 4 ohms dips in some frequency bands and sometimes even lower than that. Since you want stereo system do look in to these things. depending on speakers. and if amplifiers are capable of low impedance loads. Unfortunately I can not recommend you any specific model as I have no practical experience of it.
Ofcourse it also depends on volume you choose and type of music.

regards.
Thanks , since it's also Network receiver , am leaning towards this , appreciate your detailed comments

If audio quality is the primary consideration, and you can live without HDMI, then strongly consider Marantz PM7000n. You can still connect to TV through optical out, while enjoying Spotify Connect and all other features of network receiver. The amplifier section is excellent and highly regarded.
Also, at the same price point, QAcoustics and Dali has models that outperform Wharfedale Diamond, especially when paired with Marantz.

Hello,

My audio source is only youtube from my Samsung TV , planning to connect the TV HDMI ( ARC ) to Marantz and have not decided on the Wharfdale Diamond bookshelf or floorstander..

am currently living in the USA, not have much time to audition, hence would just go with some recommendations from this forum.

The reason for going for 2 channel setup ( no plan of buying a subwoofer now as if I buy floorstanders I believe it would suffice for some time ) is to hear music.

I shortlisted on this slimline receiver due to it's 75W/channel capability, thought Wharfdale Diamond towers can be easily driven by this amp.

wondering what Audio source I could try , anyways that's a different topic altogether.

Interests: classical, Tamil/Hindi movie songs and some popular English hits that my kids tune into.

Since you are in the US, see if you can audition Klipsch. These are efficient speakers and cheap in the US.

Since you are in the US, see if you can audition Klipsch. These are efficient speakers and cheap in the US.
Thanks, usually I have seen Klipsch be on the bright side, more towards movies than music, hence avoided thus far. You are right - the price of Klipsch is far lesser compared to any UK brand speakers..

+1 For 7000N. For Speaker, You could get the Amp and audition the speakers with your Amp. Also consider Indiq for speakers. As you are in Chennai, Visit Torvin as well. Both these Indian companies make speakers that can outperform their international counterparts.
Hi, Thanks - I used to live in Chennai but now have relocated to USA. Unfortunately the place where in live in - don't see many hifi audio showrooms to audition, hence want to just go with some recommendations.

If audio quality is the primary consideration, and you can live without HDMI, then strongly consider Marantz PM7000n. You can still connect to TV through optical out, while enjoying Spotify Connect and all other features of network receiver. The amplifier section is excellent and highly regarded.
Also, at the same price point, QAcoustics and Dali has models that outperform Wharfedale Diamond, especially when paired with Marantz.
sure, will try to check QAcoustics, Dali. By any chance , do you know how Elac would be ?

sure, will try to check QAcoustics, Dali. By any chance , do you know how Elac would be ?
Thanks , want to know about Elac if you have heard it

I would also reccomend the Marantz PM7000N.

In my view , the HDMI inputs on amps which cannot decode multi channel music, are a bit pointless (eg Marantz NR1200 / Denon DRA800).

An optical input has more than enough bandwidth for stereo music.

And for the price, you will get a far superior amplifier section, because there is no money spent on HDMI switching circuitry.

Thanks , want to know about Elac if you have heard it
I have very briefly auditioned Elac. Did not like it, found it unrefined. Maybe good for some AC/DC or Deep Purple, but not for a good quality recording. But since then models have changed and many people are full of praise. PSB has it's fans, as well as Mission.
Happy auditioning/ hunting...

Hello,

Maybe this will help as reference to make a proper decision.

Hello,

When in US, why bother about Wharfy? Scour Audiogon for better speakers and amps. Buy parasound integrated amps which can do both indian and US voltages. It might double your budget but you can carry the amp back to India.

I would also reccomend the Marantz PM7000N.

In my view , the HDMI inputs on amps which cannot decode multi channel music, are a bit pointless (eg Marantz NR1200 / Denon DRA800).

An optical input has more than enough bandwidth for stereo music.

And for the price, you will get a far superior amplifier section, because there is no money spent on HDMI switching circuitry.
It depends on the use case scenario.

Leaving aside SQ for the time being, HDMI is very convenient to have if your amp is connected to the TV.

This is primarily down to HDMI CEC control which switches on/off the amp when the TV is turned on as well as adjust volume with the TV remote.

While the above reason may sound trivial, I've found the experience to be anything but in the long run. It is a pain to constantly shuffle between two remotes simultaneously, one to control content and the other simply to adjust the volume (since volume over different OTT services vary significantly) and switch inputs.

There are a few stereo amps which have a focus on music that have HDMI control. The Bluesound PowerNode 2i 2021 version is an excellent example.

IMHO, optical should be done away with altogether or maintained only as a legacy input and inclusion of HDMI in an integrated amplifier, especially in 2022 is a sine qua non.

After all, If you're going to have digital connectivity in an integrated amplifier, might as well have the most relevant digital inputs or none at all (if the theory is that digital connectivity adds unnecessarily to the cost).

Last edited:
I will be putting my Marantz NR1200 1 month old amp for sale, still under warranty

bought this as my NAD went bad and dealer was unable to fix, so I got this Marantz
but another technician was able to fix after 2 months, and I didn't expect it.

so I am now selling my Marantz NR1200 I will post a sale soon later tonight

if someone is interested u can reach me out

Hi, Thanks - I used to live in Chennai but now have relocated to USA. Unfortunately the place where in live in - don't see many hifi audio showrooms to audition, hence want to just go with some recommendations.

Crutchfield, my man. Free home trials and $10 or something returns.

yeah, but if you have to send it back, return cost to be borne by us. Returns ( shipping charges ) are not free.

It's $10 or something insignificant like that. Absolutely worth it for the ability to audition the speakers at home.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back