Under 70k Stereo Hifi Setup

How about...
Marantz PM6007 (with DAC )(almost 60W/8ohms 80W/4 ohms) measured HERE
and Wharfedale 12.1 (Good linearity with deliberate minor mid dip and probably little shy of bass as is case with any bookshelf) measured HERE
The package is on offer on Hifimart. Obviously take time and try to listen if you like the sound then only buy.
Regards
But reviewers says its bass hit the punch above the price point and specs by the OEM. It has got phenomenal praise across the web. I have not seen a single reviewer criticizing its sound quality. Hope this would be good choice.

But reviewers says its bass hit the punch above the price point and specs by the OEM. It has got phenomenal praise across the web. I have not seen a single reviewer criticizing its sound quality. Hope this would be good choice.
This statement is relative - the price point in question is that of the US and UK.

For the same price or +/- 3K, you can get a Mission QX-2, Elac Debut 6.2, Q Acoustics 3030i, Hivi Swans D1090 etc which are 6.5 inchers. These speakers will be better than the Wharfedale 12.1 when it comes to bass quantity and depth.

Unfortunately, I'm yet to see a passive 5 incher which can rival the bass output of a 6.5 inch one.

This statement is relative - the price point in question is that of the US and UK.

For the same price or +/- 3K, you can get a Mission QX-2, Elac Debut 6.2, Q Acoustics 3030i, Hivi Swans D1090 etc which are 6.5 inchers. These speakers will be better than the Wharfedale 12.1 when it comes to bass quantity and depth.

Unfortunately, I'm yet to see a passive 5 incher which can rival the bass output of a 6.5 inch one.
Agreed but I perceive slightly different opinion. While choosing a speaker one should be looking for other aspects also like build quality, size, sensitivity etc. I think Wharfdale 12.1 is good compromise in term of features, aesthetics and sound quality offered by the above speakers.

Agreed but I perceive slightly different opinion. While choosing a speaker one should be looking for other aspects also like build quality, size, sensitivity etc.
Indeed.

In this regard, I noticed that some of the similarly priced alternatives such as the Mission QX-2s have more or less the same footprint as the Wharfedale 12.1s (slightly wider) while sporting the same sensitivity i.e. 88db. I can also tell you with a certain amount of confidence that it is one of the most solid and best built speakers that I have encountered <1L. In fact, it is built to a much higher standard than some of my speakers which cost a lot more dough such as the KEF Q350 and the Klipsch RP600M and in the same league as my Wharfedale Evo 4.2s and Quad S5s.

A look at their weight i.e. 9Kgs per speaker, also indicates how robustly they are built despite being diminutive - they are a good 2kgs heavier than most other similarly sized or larger 6.5 inch bookshelfs

I think Wharfdale 12.1 is good compromise in term of features, aesthetics and sound quality offered by the above speakers.
Most definitely. However, to my mind, i don't consider passive bookshelfs speakers as possessing any features whatsoever. Sound quality is also something one would find difficult to judge unless one has heard the speaker/s in question unless I'm mistaken? Aesthetically, the 12.1s do look very good.

Since you've got your heart set on the looks and aesthetics of the Wharfedale 12.1, I'm sure it would make for a great choice. In that case however, you should strongly consider the 12.2 since it digs substantially deeper than the 12.1. There's really no flipside to it except being 10K dearer. On the other hand, you stand to lose a substantial bit of musical information with the smaller driver.

Last edited:
Hi All,

I would like to start my audiophile journey, need a recommendation for a 70K stereo setup.

I have spent a lot of time in searching speakers, Amps, DACs and filtering out based on the budget, sorting them based on the values considering the import duties on them.
I like the detailed audio and controlled bass and don't appreciate the bass that's overlapping mids and eating it up.
Music Type - Classic and Pop
Input would be Optical, PC and BT

My search suggested the following 2 setups
1) Q Acoustics 3030i + Denon PMA-600NE - Integrated Stereo
2) Q Acoustics 3030i + Norge concerto gold 1000 + SMSL Sanskrit 10 mkii DAC
3) Edifier s3000pro

My usage would be primarily for stereo and secondary for TV optical out.
Room Size 11x15.

When shall I go with the Analog Amplifier (Norge) over Intergated (Denon). Will analogue amplifier will give any benefit?

From the research I came to know Denon and Q Acoustics' are the brands who's Specifications rating I can trust.

Let me know any other setup that can yeild better performance.

Thanks for your time.
Both the amps are integrated amp.
Norge will work out to be cheaper as well as more powerful (therefore delivery a cleaner high volume sound compared to Denon which will be forced to go into distortion to deliver same power). Norge does have the added advantage of inbuilt DAC and bluetooth and remote and other technological gee-whizzery.

In my opinion, get Norge, save money. Buy DAC at later stage when you have additional budget.
Spend the most you can on speakers. Speakers are the weakest and dirtiest link in the entire chain
- both amps have good THD figures at 32 W (typical high volume requirement), of course will have more headroom so more clean dynamic range, as well as scope to burst your eardrums
- copper audio input is fairly good in SNR even if it comes from your PC onboard sound card or TV/settop box out. DAC may improve the quality only barely perceptible
- speakers are mechanical devices: increasingly nonlinear at modestly loud volume and hence introduce distortion. Also speakers add the most color in your sound output, in terms of frequency response, time domain response etc.
In general the more expensive speaker, the better and more closer to linear is the sound output.

Most definitely. However, to my mind, i don't consider passive bookshelfs speakers as possessing any features whatsoever. Sound quality is also something one would find difficult to judge unless one has heard the speaker/s in question unless I'm mistaken? Aesthetically, the 12.1s do look very good.

Since you've got your heart set on the looks and aesthetics of the Wharfedale 12.1, I'm sure it would make for a great choice. In that case however, you should strongly consider the 12.2 since it digs substantially deeper than the 12.1. There's really no flipside to it except being 10K dearer. On the other hand, you stand to lose a substantial bit of musical information with the smaller driver.

Agree with DB1989. I have Wharfedale Diamond 12.2 paired with Marantz pm6007. It produces good amount of tight bass and clean warm sound. It is pleasure to listen. speakers are really heavy and build quality is excellent.

I did listen to Diamond 12.1 and feels 12.2 has bigger sound and bass is obvious. I also listened to QA 3030i and for my own musical taste, I liked Diamond 12.1/12.2 better than QA 3030i mostly because of placement requirements (placing QA 3030i closer to wall does produce muddy bass but no such problem with diamonds)

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back