Stereo Setup

rajagopal_j

Hi Guys,

I am in a bit of a spot and looking for some help. I am looking for a Stereo Setup for my small study room (10x10ft approx). One side of the room is fully glass (french windows) and most of rest of the walls are covered with books. The only piece of furniture in the room is my Lazboy and a coffee table (typically used for the congac glass :D). At the moment the source of music in this room is an onkyo cbx300 which was previously used by my wife and she now wants it back.

So I am in the market for a really good set of speakers (bookshelves), amp and probably a DAC (The source is my computer playing FLAC)

The Budget is Rs. 1,00,000 including cabling.

I pretty much listen to all kinds of music depending on my mood, but mostly classic rock.

I happened to be at the Onkyo store the other day helping a friends pick out a home threatre and the guys there were nice enough to let me audition the Acoustic Energy Radiance One along with one of their onkyo AVRs. They sounded very good but were definitely lacking some mid range. They quoted a price of Rs 70,000 for the pair off hand is that a good price for those? I remember them retailing for about 600GBP in London thats about 40K INR, I am guessing taxes and of course sale margin.

Looking for some help on picking out a good combo. I have absolutely no idea whats available in chennai at what price.

Anyone else looking to setup something similar please do let me know and we could combine forces :D

B Rgds,
Raj.

Hi rajagopal,

Considering your room size, and if you want a detailed sound, get Marantz PM 6003 amp with MS Aviano-1 BS Speakers, they may together cost Rs.40k, and also get a good DAC and cables.

Other options to consider are NAD 315 amp with PSB Image B-6 bookshelves. This combo will sound a bit warm and laidback, it depends on your preference of music and sound signature. For speakers you can also consider KEF Q 300.

Just my Rs.2/-

N.Murali

How about:

PC > MF VDAC (~15k) > Marantz PM7003/Rotel RA-06(~40k?) > B&W 685/Epos Epic 2 (~40k)
Chord rumour 2 speaker cables 2m pair - 3.5k?
Chord interconnects - 3k?

Total ~ 102.5k

Im not sure of the amplifier prices though :)

i have a set up which you will like, drop in for a listening session.

Thanks for the invite! I will leave you a PM.

Mordaunt short mezzo 2 with Marantz PM6003,, Marantz CD6003 ...

How about:

PC > MF VDAC (~15k) > Marantz PM7003/Rotel RA-06(~40k?) > B&W 685/Epos Epic 2 (~40k)
Chord rumour 2 speaker cables 2m pair - 3.5k?
Chord interconnects - 3k?

Total ~ 102.5k

Im not sure of the amplifier prices though :)

Any idea where I can audition these in chennai?

Buy a good DAC connect it with Creek EVO 2 AMP and pair it with Epos M12i Bookshelfs. The combination will be excellent.

Epos M22i has MRP of Rs 48,814
Creek Evo 2 has MRP of Rs 51,837

Obviously you will get discount on MRP.

Epos Speakers is an excellent choice for Music. Overall sound quality is warm and balanced. You can listen to music for hours and wont get tired. Good luck.

Buy a good DAC connect it with Creek EVO 2 AMP and pair it with Epos M12i Bookshelfs. The combination will be excellent.

Epos M22i has MRP of Rs 48,814
Creek Evo 2 has MRP of Rs 51,837

Obviously you will get discount on MRP.

Epos Speakers is an excellent choice for Music. Overall sound quality is warm and balanced. You can listen to music for hours and wont get tired. Good luck.

Akhil,

While I would love to have floorstanders, my study is just way too small for them. 100 sqft. But maybe the Epos M12i might work let me give your suggested set a try :D

Last edited:
@rajagpal_j, I don't have too much experience with various brands, so I'd suggest:

Speakers: PSB Image B6
Amp: NAD326BEE (there's a for-sale thread for a pretty new one open now)
[I use these and I really like how they sound]
DAC: MF V-DAC/Arcam rDAC
I'd spend the rest of the budget on cables, a nice carpet, thick curtains for the glassed area, and a nice pair of speaker stands to get the best out of the speakers (if you get bookshelves, which is what I think you should do).

Once you get the equipment, you will have a bit of work cut out for you: You have a square room. Not to put you off, but a square room is a bit of trouble to get to sound right. Since you have bookshelves on the sides of the room, that will help a lot (as long as they are open and not the type with glass doors). I'd also cover the top of the coffee table with a thickish cloth. :)

I'd posted stuff about speaker-placement in a square room in the forum a bit back, but I've forgotten where that was. :eek:

A Laz-boy. Sigggghhhh. Envy! :)

I think that the ideal setup for you would be a PSB Imagine Mini or PSB Imagine B they are fantastic bookshelves for their price and finish, also they have garnered a lot of anticipation from audiophiles all around the world. Now add a NAD C356BEE Amplifier with the speakers as this amplifier is based on "MDC" which will allow you to fix the DAC inside the amplifier itself for a fraction of its cost so you can enjoy this amplifier as an Integrated amplifier as well as a DAC with built in amplification.
Now this combo should cost around 93K inclusive of the DAC with Imagine Mini and 113K (DAC Inclusive)with Imagine B, now you can add another 10K towards the cost of dedicated stands as well as cables.

i have a similar room as u have.
my main setup is in my living room which kinda gets out of reach after wife reaches home (esp for music)
so i created a second setup in my den: Wharfedale EVO8 Signature BS, Kenwood A 85 Integrated Amp, and a headphones Udac.

my source is also flacs and i am very happy with this setup. ( i have a separate HDD to store music and they are not on laptop).

Guys, thanks for all the inputs.

After extensive listening sessions between excruciating travel, I have decided to go with Dali Ikon 2 Mk 2 Speakers, getting them for a really good price.

Now I am on the look out for a good amp.

With Dali Ikon2mk2
Tried Marantz PM6003, its good but somehow I was left wanting more
Tried NAD, somehow not very impressed, felt the bass was uncontrolled.

So looking for something a little better, Arcam or Rotel. Can anyone help me demo one in chennai?

U never know with Dussera and Diwali coming ahead, I dont want to miss out any offers.;)

Haha. Not in this festival season but if i will be upgrading my setup, surely will let you about my M22i's. ;)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Rajagopal, I hope you haven taken a demo of Epos M12i before buying Dali Ikon 2.

Rajagopal, I hope you haven taken a demo of Epos M12i before buying Dali Ikon 2.

Akhil,

I took a demo of the epos M12i with Nad and Creek Evo, just as you had suggested. It was good but didnt, suite my taste though.

On the other hand the Dali's were the ones which I really liked.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back