Stereo speakers advice (limitation on speaker size)

ravenus

Hello friends, although I have not posted here earlier I have benefited from reading the advice given on various threads here (after which I got my Panasonic P50S10 TV). Here's the deal:

I am looking for a decent affordable pair of stereo speakers to use for both music and movies (Music is the first criterion). I currently have a pair of cheap Norge bookshelf speakers purchased sometime in 2000, which I am reasonably (but not entirely satisfied), with so you can gauge the level of audio quality that I require. Height and Depth are not a concern but the speakers must have a max width of ~200mm because they have to fit on a table beside my Panasonic TV (which is on a stand). I also need to get a new amplifier, I'm looking at getting the Norge 2060 amplifier for this setup, so please recommend me a suitable speaker set that I can get between 10-15K.

You can check out the following speakers

1. PSB Alpha B1 - 179mm
PSB Speakers - Alpha B1 Monitor

2. Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 - 190mm
Product - Products - Wharfedale Hi-Fi

3. Mordaunt Short Aviano 1 - 179mm
Specifications / Aviano 1 bookshelf speaker / Aviano / Products / Mordaunt Short

Hello friends, although I have not posted here earlier I have benefited from reading the advice given on various threads here (after which I got my Panasonic P50S10 TV). Here's the deal:

I am looking for a decent affordable pair of stereo speakers to use for both music and movies (Music is the first criterion). I currently have a pair of cheap Norge bookshelf speakers purchased sometime in 2000, which I am reasonably (but not entirely satisfied), with so you can gauge the level of audio quality that I require. Height and Depth are not a concern but the speakers must have a max width of ~200mm because they have to fit on a table beside my Panasonic TV (which is on a stand). I also need to get a new amplifier, I'm looking at getting the Norge 2060 amplifier for this setup, so please recommend me a suitable speaker set that I can get between 10-15K.

Noa-1 from Lithos acoutics is very musical and neutral! Ideal for music + Movies!

http://www.lithosindia.com/noa1.pdf

cheers

Gobbl in your previous posts too you said some good things about noa-1 .I may get one used at a very good price. Issu is i need to take 4 sats ,1 cente and 1 passive woofer.

Now do you have irsthand expereince of it? Can it replace small toers as claimed in ads?
Also can the satellites be used in isolation?

Members your thoughts too welcome

Thanks for the suggestions guys, will look into this. Shyam Bajaj from Norge has suggested to try out the Norge MD75 speakers which are smaller in size. They're cheap too, less than 9K. If they satisfy my not so discerning tastes, I may go for that too :)

Height and Depth are not a concern but the speakers must have a max width of ~200mm because they have to fit on a table beside my Panasonic TV (which is on a stand). I also need to get a new amplifier, I'm looking at getting the Norge 2060 amplifier for this setup, so please recommend me a suitable speaker set that I can get between 10-15K.

why not try audioengine A5 Amp and Speakers rolled in one!!
Got too good reviews in India and Abrod!
And Bredth is Just 7"

India price is 19 K with warentee
Audioengine USA A5 90W Active Bookshelf Speakers - Best Buy -

Intl site
Audioengine - Upgrade your music

Gobbl in your previous posts too you said some good things about noa-1 .I may get one used at a very good price. Issu is i need to take 4 sats ,1 cente and 1 passive woofer.

Now do you have irsthand expereince of it? Can it replace small toers as claimed in ads?
Also can the satellites be used in isolation?

Members your thoughts too welcome

It is really nice, I saw the Eagles live concert DVD on it and they sounded fantastic. The speakers disappear and the spread and enveloping sound is a treat! The amp was a NAD 352 or 355 BEE.

I think they sell Satellites separately. Ask them for price list. The sats only go down to 125hz so your sub should e able to cover that high and not top at 80hz.

Cheers

Hi Ravenous,
If you can shell out 15k, Wharfe 9.2 is better choice than 9.1. It has same sonic quality as 9.1, but with better bass and overall dyanamics.
Regds,

I think 8.2 is better than 9.1 is better than 9.2 :)

9.2 is not the same as 9.1 in mids and overall SQ.

Regards

why not try audioengine A5 Amp and Speakers rolled in one!!
Got too good reviews in India and Abrod!
And Bredth is Just 7"
India price is 19 K with warentee
Audioengine USA A5 90W Active Bookshelf Speakers - Best Buy -
[/url]
That's an interesting option and some of the net opinions indicate that a proper active speaker system can give a more optimal sound at lower cost, at least for the non-fussy listener who doesn't want to keep adjusting with different components. However I have a question in this regard:
Does this brand have servicing in India? Since this sort of equipment is less common than the normal speakers + separate amp setup, you'd want to make sure that you can get it properly fixed if anything goes wrong. The other aspect is that if anything goes seriously wrong you'd need to replace the whole system, I think.

That's an interesting option and some of the net opinions indicate that a proper active speaker system can give a more optimal sound at lower cost, at least for the non-fussy listener who doesn't want to keep adjusting with different components. However I have a question in this regard:
Does this brand have servicing in India? Since this sort of equipment is less common than the normal speakers + separate amp setup, you'd want to make sure that you can get it properly fixed if anything goes wrong. The other aspect is that if anything goes seriously wrong you'd need to replace the whole system, I think.

there was an audioengine thread on this forum..

frankly i never heard them ,rhythum house refused me demo,but just google it and there are tons of good reviews!best buy rated by Av max too

forum your views?

Haven't heard the A5s but have heard the A2s for a while. And they are very good for their size. Highs are clear without being fatiguing or harsh, midrange is sweet and the bass from the 2.5" woofers is much more than expected. A balanced sound (except for the slight bass emphasis because of small size).
I assume the A5s will sound similar, with more bass and weight to the sound.

I think it is good value for money. However, the reviews are over the top in my opinion. Then again, I heard them with a laptop source, so maybe they sound even better with a good source chain. Definitely worth auditioning in that price range.

-Jinx.

Well, I went looking for speakers last week and I heard both the Wharfedale 9.1 and the Mordaunt Short Avant 902i under identical conditions. To my ears the Avant sounded better - a sweeter, warmer sound with classical music (Bach Brandenburg Concerto No. 1) and not much difference with rock (King Crimson's Lark's Tongue in Aspic III). But this was with the Cambridge amp (don't recall which one) so I am taking the Norge 2060 I bought to check out the compatibility this weekend.

The Avant 902's were priced 15K in the shop I tested them (called The Shop, Andheri).

Any idea what the price difference is between the Avant and the Aviano series?

if size is a constraint why don't you consider the paradigm atom? Excellents peakers, with the only weakness being LFE, due to the size. Imaging was the best i've ever heard. Etched! Detail was excellent, midrange was smooth, give it a listen at least.

if size is a constraint why don't you consider the paradigm atom? Excellents peakers, with the only weakness being LFE, due to the size. Imaging was the best i've ever heard. Etched! Detail was excellent, midrange was smooth, give it a listen at least.
What is LFE? I thought it was something related to surround sound system (I've vaguely heard of LFE channel). I could give it a try if its available in the shops I go to. Also, how much would the price be? My desired price range is ~15K (20K if something EXCEPTIONALLY better turns up).

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back