Stereo System (2.1) for Bedroom, Budget: 35K-40K

Hemant Kishor

I'm looking to buy a Stereo System (2.1) for my Bedroom. Budget: 35K-40K
Area about 200 sq. ft
Purpose: 50% movies, 50% music/ audio

I have shortlisted the follg.

1) Integrated Amplifier: Denon, Model - PMA-710
2) Bookshelf Speakers: JBL (Corner Mount speakers), Model - Control Now

Apart from the output from JBL, I was slightly inclined towards the aesthetics/ looks as well, to match up with my new done up bedroom.

The usual rectangular ones looked big on the wall

I may team them with a Jamo Sub, Model: Sub 200 at a later on date

The Television would be a 32" LCD - either Sony Bravia or Samsung

Can I have some reviews on the shortlisted model pls.

I'm open to all / any suggestions please.

Thank you once again

Area about 200 sq. ft

Apart from the output from JBL, I was slightly inclined towards the aesthetics/ looks as well, to match up with my new done up bedroom.

Thank you once again

Hemant kishor,
I would also look at the Marantz Pm series amps(like Pm6003) and the corresponding Cdp with a set of bookshelves from Usher s520 in a matching color(they are available in glossy finish too).
Good sq and aesthetics.

i've not heard the JBL Control Now, but these are the plastic curvy speakers right? I am pretty certain they don't sound terribly great, or at least as good as other speakers that concentrate on the sound more than the look.

Even the Cambridge Audio S30 at 8k a pair would I would wager, outperform the JBLs.

Instead of the 710, you could consider the Denon 510 for 16k and you could definitely consider the Ushers for 22k a pair. That would add up to 38k and would in my reckoning make a good combo. Again disclaimer, I haven't heard the Denon amp, I am speaking from what I have heard about their sound....which is unreliable I agree, so please do listen to them yourself.....just thought i'd toss the idea about.

The sub can probably be purchased later.

In the alternative you could combine the Denon 510 with the PSB Alpha B1 for 13k, making the combo 29k, or even the Cambridge Audio S30 for 8k, making the combo 24k, and leaving some cash left over for a sub of your choice.

Anyway, these are just random, not very well informed ideas, do check this stuff out yourself and decide. All the best.

hi hemant,
if u belong to delhi then try contacting resonance audio.they are big players in the av business and their pricing is the best.they have all the major brands in stereo and 5.1 set up.i get all my stuff from them

hi hemant,
if u belong to delhi then try contacting resonance audio.they are big players in the av business and their pricing is the best.they have all the major brands in stereo and 5.1 set up.i get all my stuff from them

Hi,

I happen to b frm Mumbai.
I'm reviewing the products at diff locatns

I don't think that this setup is going to be good enough.

I would recommend a A5 + Polk SW110 for 31k combined.

Area about 200 sq. ft

Thank you once again

Hi Hemant,
Recently I auditioned for both Denon 710 and 510 amplifier and liked the richness of sound from 710 amplifier. Finally settled for it.
Manoj

Hi Hemant,
Greetings. Though I've not heard the jbl speakers that you've chosen, they seem to be satellite speakers and will seriously need a subwoofer to sound good as their quoted freq.resp is 80hz-30khz. There are many bookshelf speakers that may suit your requirements and perform far superior than the Jbl.
Please have patience and research ,audition and then select the one you like the most.
Agree that most speakers look plain-jane but there are some really good well made cabinets which are crafted beautifully and when setup properly will surely enhance the asthetics of a room. Some of the speaker that look good( purely my opnion:D) in the budget line are Usher S-520(Piano Black), Wharfedale 10.1(walnut pearl), Polk Audio RTi-A3(Cherry-Real wood excellent finishing), Paradigm Atom(Rosenut), Q-Acoustics 1010i etc. There are many more finishes available and choose one as per your room asthetics.

Are you sure you want wall mounting speakers. All the speakers mentioned above can be wall mounted but they perform best on a pair of stands.
Most satellite speakers especially in your budget don't perform well for music and most of them come packaged as 5.1 speakers.
There are few Indian speaker you can consider too...like Lithos Little1 little1
Since you're in mumbai try to audition it also contact_us

Regarding int.amplifiers Marantz, Nad, Cambridge Audio,Harman Kardon(HK-3490) are good choice. Please research in our forum for more options.

All the best,:)
Samuel

to the OP

since you have been visisting the JBL showroom have you got a chance to listen to the new HK integrated amps
i think they are the 890 series
they look lovely and have some serious specs however they arent cheap

if you really do like the JBL control speakers after listening to a couple others thats fine
Ive heard them .they are suitable for a bedroom actually

but if you do get a chance listen to the Monitor Audio, Usher and PSB - they have small speakers suitable for the bedroom

P.S : im a Denon Fan so you have i think thats a good choice the PMA 700 was lovely when i heard it and if you are getting the upgraded model thats good

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back