Stereo System

I am not sure a HTIB it the way to go.
OP's primary interest is music (60%), so at the minimum, IMHO, it should be an entry level SS stereo amp.
However, depending on how long and involved his music listening has been a value amp may be a better choice.
And then of course there is the question of budget.

~dich

Buddy

you are looking in for a stereo setup...right...???

Then where did this HTiB came from...and that too with Onkyo Amp...
Sorry guyz, but till date i never had a single successfull demo/burnout with Onkyo...(Sorry Sumit, nothing in personal)...

And first please decide, you wanna go for floor standers or Bookshelves...
As, by all the posts in threads, its getting more confusing on your actual requirements...

Mohan, in case you are considering going in for the Quad 12 L2s (my favourites and am planning for the same), will cost you approx.40K. With interconnects, cables etc. you will have less than 20K for the Amp.in which case your choice will be limited to Yamaha.

Either go in for a dedicated stereo amp. or a 5.1 integrated as above and keep adding the surrounds and centre(Wharfedales since it goes well with Quads) at a later date.

Hi Arun,

Did you compare the Quad 12L2 vs 11L2? If so what is the difference, because the specs are almost similar (2cm more height, 1.5cm more width, 1cm more depth, same freq. range, 2db higher sensitivity). However, the difference in the price is considerable (26k vs ~40k). I assume the difference would be in how they sound. Can you elaborate?

Regards,
Prasad Redkar.

Buddy

you are looking in for a stereo setup...right...???

Then where did this HTiB came from...and that too with Onkyo Amp...
Sorry guyz, but till date i never had a single successfull demo/burnout with Onkyo...(Sorry Sumit, nothing in personal)...

And first please decide, you wanna go for floor standers or Bookshelves...
As, by all the posts in threads, its getting more confusing on your actual requirements...

Thanks Mridul,

I am looking for bookself speakers. After going thorugh various posts on this forum, I am sure what I am looking for is the 2.1 channel Stereo System as mainly I will be goind for music. A good entry level AV receiver + CDP will do.
Please suggest.

Thanks

B Mohan

Do be aware that an AV Receiver will only give sub par performance in stereo. If you are only interested in stereo, why bother with AV Receivers? For the same price, you can get excellent integrated amps that'll be lot more satisfying for music listening.

Let the original poster decide on what he wants in the first place. There is no point in suggesting unless his makes up his mind.

I use a pioneer DVD player along with a Technics amplifier and Mission M33i Speakers. It gives reasonablle satisfaction while listening to Music. Later I replaced the DVD player with Marantz Cd 6002 CD player( advices taken from forums). Though I could expereince a slightly richer sound, but the improvement is not astronomical as was anticipated to be. Perhaps it could be due to the limited resolving ability of the Speakers or the laid back amplifier. The total cost of the system worked out to be about Rs:40000/.

The moral is that unless you have a extremely higher end speakers and a quality amplifer, a good CD player and cheap DVD player would hardly any difference in Music.This would push the total cost of the system beyond reach. Therfore you may consider an AVR receiver(budget Marantz-around Rs:25K in grey market)), Mission speakers(Cost Rs:15K for the model M33i Initilally two towers only which can be upgraded to 5.1 later) and a budget DVD player(Around Rs:10K) With Rs:50K you may be able to enjoy music as well as Movies. If you can source the electronics from Singapore, the cost will come down.

Best wishes,

vjc

Hi,

As of now I am going through various options.

Please suggest your views on Bose 3.2.1? Series II Home Entertainment System for around 53k.

Please do let me know the dealers in Delhi for Denon, Marantz, Wharfedale where I can go and have demo.

Thanks,

B Mohan

Steer clear from that direction my friend, unless you are out there for style and convenience perhaps:rolleyes:

In your budget you can fetch yourself a very decent setup taking the tried and tested conventional method of good old hifi.

Hi Prasad, sorry couldn't reply earlier since was caught up in daughter's FYJC admission. Coming back to your query, 12 L2 has a Bass driver of 6.5", about 2.6 kg heavier, has continuous rating of 100W RMS and requires an amp. between 30-200W compared to 11 L2. I have not heard the 11 L2, but 12 is very musical, articulate and really fast. With a good amp.it's a pleasure to listen for long hours. During my discussions with Kshitij and Vijay of Designer Audio and Boomarang resp., I got the impression, Quad is promoting their 12 L2, 22 L2 and ESL's and have no idea whether 11 L2 would be available at all.

Further, as far as 12 L2 is concerned, I have extensively auditioned B&W's 685 and can vouch these Quads sound far superior to them and are more sturdy.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back