Sterio speaker setup and amp for computer.

kochumvk

Hello guys,

This is my first post on this form. Looking for some help and insight.

I want to have a stereo speaker setup for following requirement:

Source:
PC running Maximus vii hero good for 115db SNR. (May add a good external DAC or a drop in PCI express one at a later point)

Room : 16.5 x 11.5 feet

Purpose : Music listening

Taste : Sorry but I listen to most of the stuff from classical (carnatic) to pop

Budget : Not sure but not more than 20k (amp+speakers)

My knowledge about local parts sources : pathetic

---------------------
My Ideas:

I thought of buying an SMSL SA 60 (class D), a TPA 3116 implementation.
Link>

Is this amp a good choice for my source?Is there any better options for similar price (INR 6000)
How this amp will fair against an old (10 years) Hifi amp from Sony ?

For drivers, I thought I will either source them from an old sony HiFi system like MHC RV22 /MHC RV777. or can buy some dayton audio reference series drivers and AMT tweeters.

Woofers :Dayton Audio RS150P-8
Tweeters : Dayton Audio AMT Mini-8 or Dayton Audio DC28FS-8 Silk Dome

These drivers will cost INR 11000 without shipping.

Willi these spectrum give a good frequency coverage? (excluding really low bass frequencies)
What will be a good cross over frequency for these drivers?
Which crossover components should I look at (I can assemble them onto a custom pcb if needed)

Shipping from parts express is very costly. I will consider this only if these drivers can bring huge difference.

Is there a good local source for nice drivers in Pune?
Is there a shop who can make or sell enclosures in Pune?

Sorry for the long first post.
Thanks for all the help.

given your current situation, I think you'd be better off buying a pair of passive bookshelves+amp/active bookshelves - there should be quite a few options in your budget

Let me start off by saying that my suggestions are based on extensive reading and some personal experience. The site links I will provide in my post are for reference only. I do not have any personal affiliation with any of those sites.

Source: PC running Maximus vii hero good for 115db SNR. (May add a good external DAC or a drop in PCI express one at a later point)

That's a very good high end motherboard. If you can, get a good sound card like Asus Xonar ST. The reason why I liked ST over STX because in later point of time if you want to upgrade your system to 7.1 setup, you could do it easily with Xonar H6 addon card. However, I haven't used any of the cards personally.

I thought of buying an SMSL SA 60 (class D), a TPA 3116 implementation.
Link>

Is this amp a good choice for my source?Is there any better options for similar price (INR 6000)

Gurus always suggested Class A/AB over D for music. Class D consumes less power but still for music it is recommended to go for Class A/AB. I do not want to start a debate here. This is purely based on internet reviews.

You could check Aliexpress.com for sourcing your amp. There are numerous options out there. The import duty is more if you want to import completely built unit. I would personally prefer to get the the amp board from outside (If I have to order something from outside india) and procure the transformer/psu/other parts locally. This will eventually keep the price in check. FYI, I checked ebay india has a very good collection of toroidal transformers and it is a bit cheaper than aliexpress.

Luckily, we have one site in India named diyaudiocard who has a very good collection of amps. Here is the link. We recently purchased few amp boards from there. The materiel quality is good. The audio quality is yet to be tested. The owner 'bijin' is also a member in HFV. He is very helpful to answer your queries. You can contact him directly.

How this amp will fair against an old (10 years) Hifi amp from Sony ?

This seems delicious. :thumbsup:
I know someone who likes old Sony amp over Rotel (and other renowned amps). He is in audio listening business since last two decades (or more), so his opinion counts IMHO. His model might be different from yours. What is your amp's model number BTW?

Woofers : Dayton Audio RS150P-8
Tweeters : Dayton Audio AMT Mini-8 or Dayton Audio DC28FS-8 Silk Dome

These drivers will cost INR 11000 without shipping.

You could check diyaudiocart drivers section for this as well.

Willi these spectrum give a good frequency coverage? (excluding really low bass frequencies)

Looking at the reviews of dayton drivers, it seems so. However I haven't used them personally.

Which crossover components should I look at (I can assemble them onto a custom pcb if needed)

Looking at the frequency/impedance graph of Dayton Audio RS150P-8 and Dayton Audio DC28FS-8 Silk Dome, it seems a crossover between 1800-2000 would be just fine (IMHO).

Diyaudiocart/Theaudiocrafts has some ready-made PCBs. Audio grade capacitors/inductors/resistors are available in their sites too.

Is there a good local source for nice drivers in Pune?

I have no idea. You have to check with pune members. You can check peerless drivers (available in diyaudiocart/theaudiocrafts) as well. Recently my brother built two bookshelves from peerless drivers (midbass/tweeter). He is driving them with Yamaha AVR. He is extremely happy with the results.

Is there a shop who can make or sell enclosures in Pune?

Again, I am of no help here. Pune members might be able to guide you. For enclosures, get 3/4 inch (or 19mm - actually they sell 17-18mm but they still call them 19mm - I don't know why :))

All the best for your DIY effort. Hope to see some results soon (obviously with pics). :)

given your current situation, I think you'd be better off buying a pair of passive bookshelves+amp/active bookshelves - there should be quite a few options in your budget

Best option will be Swans Active speakers excellent product for the price we have Indian dealer for the same check below link.Mk2 will be enef but not sure it will be in stock if it not tehre check on amzon

Swans M200MKII

Swans M200MKII: Amazon.in: Electronics

Thanks guys for the inputs

Let me start off by saying that my suggestions are based on extensive reading and some personal experience. The site links I will provide in my post are for reference only. I do not have any personal affiliation with any of those sites.

That's a very good high end motherboard. If you can, get a good sound card like Asus Xonar ST. The reason why I liked ST over STX because in later point of time if you want to upgrade your system to 7.1 setup, you could do it easily with Xonar H6 addon card. However, I haven't used any of the cards personally.

Gurus always suggested Class A/AB over D for music. Class D consumes less power but still for music it is recommended to go for Class A/AB. I do not want to start a debate here. This is purely based on internet reviews.

You could check Aliexpress.com for sourcing your amp. There are numerous options out there. The import duty is more if you want to import completely built unit. I would personally prefer to get the the amp board from outside (If I have to order something from outside india) and procure the transformer/psu/other parts locally. This will eventually keep the price in check. FYI, I checked ebay india has a very good collection of toroidal transformers and it is a bit cheaper than aliexpress.

Luckily, we have one site in India named diyaudiocard who has a very good collection of amps. Here is the link. We recently purchased few amp boards from there. The materiel quality is good. The audio quality is yet to be tested. The owner 'bijin' is also a member in HFV. He is very helpful to answer your queries. You can contact him directly.

This seems delicious. :thumbsup:
I know someone who likes old Sony amp over Rotel (and other renowned amps). He is in audio listening business since last two decades (or more), so his opinion counts IMHO. His model might be different from yours. What is your amp's model number BTW?

You could check diyaudiocart drivers section for this as well.

Looking at the reviews of dayton drivers, it seems so. However I haven't used them personally.

Looking at the frequency/impedance graph of Dayton Audio RS150P-8 and Dayton Audio DC28FS-8 Silk Dome, it seems a crossover between 1800-2000 would be just fine (IMHO).

Diyaudiocart/Theaudiocrafts has some ready-made PCBs. Audio grade capacitors/inductors/resistors are available in their sites too.

I have no idea. You have to check with pune members. You can check peerless drivers (available in diyaudiocart/theaudiocrafts) as well. Recently my brother built two bookshelves from peerless drivers (midbass/tweeter). He is driving them with Yamaha AVR. He is extremely happy with the results.

Again, I am of no help here. Pune members might be able to guide you. For enclosures, get 3/4 inch (or 19mm - actually they sell 17-18mm but they still call them 19mm - I don't know why :))

All the best for your DIY effort. Hope to see some results soon (obviously with pics). :)

Thanks from the bottom of my heart for taking all the time to give me a detailed reply. Very appreciated.

And the links you have provided look impressive. I see some very good options to experiment with. I will love to build my setup than busing off shelf built stuff.

I don't own a sony amp just asked about it.

I will come back with by build of course with photos.

Thanks guys for the inputs

Thanks from the bottom of my heart for taking all the time to give me a detailed reply. Very appreciated.

And the links you have provided look impressive. I see some very good options to experiment with. I will love to build my setup than busing off shelf built stuff.

I don't own a sony amp just asked about it.

I will come back with by build of course with photos.

I am glad that you liked it. I am also getting constant feedback/suggestions/help from this forum constantly.

"I am loving it" :)

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back