Straight shootout! Dali zensor 3 vs Elac B6 vs Kef Q100

• Thread starter Deleted member 38504
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 38504

These are my three narrowed down options.

I have heard the Dali zensor 3 and they are mind blowing.

Quite a few like MaSh and Zelda here own the Elac B6 so I can without a blink take their word that they are fantastic too.

Now the Kef Q100. First up....any owners?

All these three speakers are in the same price range. Just wanted some insight into the Kefs as I can't find much detail on the net regarding them,their bigger siblings take precedence,the q300 and q900.

I think the max rating for the kefq100 is about 100 watts. Should work well with my lil Denon 520BT.

How are the Kefs in general? Any forum members owning them kindly advice/suggest/give an opinion.

One of these bookshelves will replace my Polk TSX440t.

Thanks!

In my opinion the Dali Zensor 3 and Elac are on brighter side and I personally like that. I have heard the Kef Q300 and they were pretty loud without any distortion but not fit for me but now we are comparing the Dali and Elac with a higher priced KEF. Anyday I would go with Dali.

Hi

The KEFs are quite warm...end of the day..trust your ears and decide basis specs, budget and appearance

These are my three narrowed down options.

I have heard the Dali zensor 3 and they are mind blowing.

Quite a few like MaSh and Zelda here own the Elac B6 so I can without a blink take their word that they are fantastic too.

Now the Kef Q100. First up....any owners?

All these three speakers are in the same price range. Just wanted some insight into the Kefs as I can't find much detail on the net regarding them,their bigger siblings take precedence,the q300 and q900.

I think the max rating for the kefq100 is about 100 watts. Should work well with my lil Denon 520BT.

How are the Kefs in general? Any forum members owning them kindly advice/suggest/give an opinion.

One of these bookshelves will replace my Polk TSX440t.

Thanks!

First, KEF: no idea at all. So cannot comment.

Out of Z3 and B6, considering your usage, I would tilt towards the Z3. Why if you ask. The brilliance of B6 lies in its low end. Hence, if you had a Stereo Amp pumping out round about 70w plus at 6ohms, no sub woofer and usage would be primarily Music, then B6 would be an excellent choice. However, what you have is an AVR and a massive Sub for company. You would be crossing over the speakers at 80hz sending the low end to the Sub. Hence, what you need is good Mid and Highs where I feel the Z3 better the B6.

Try listening to both with your AVR and take a call.

Just to add, I do the night watchman shift. Music plays all night. With my marantz at -50db and B6 running full range(Sub is basically out of the picture at this low volume) the sound is just fantastic. The bass is crisp and the vocals crystal clear. Infact I have begun enjoying music more at this volume than at higher volumes. However at the same time, -50db is just not possible during the day time due to ambient noises.

So again, listen to both keeping in mind your usage and pick the better one.

BTW, I am hoping Zelda invites me one day to his place and allows me to listen to the Z3 and B6 side by side :eek:hyeah:

MaSh

Last edited:
If u keep wishing nothings going to happen mash! Just end up at his place for a coffee or something hehe I'm sure Zelda won't mind at all :) he's got the best setup to have a fantastic comparison between the dali and the elac.

Ed, thanks.... I was going through a few reviews about the kef q100, they are slightly smaller and less powerful too. Should be a better match for my amp I'm hoping. Plus u r right, the kefs are warm, being British and all.

I'm just surprised there are not many kef owners to help out :-( or maybe they are all listening to their music rather than be on hfv all day long like me lol

@celester340

I own KEF R300 and have heard the Q-series (SM and FS).
KEF is on the brighter side than normal, though not harsh sounding. Nothing that cannot be contained with some tone control.
KEF compared to Polks, which I have heard, are relatively warmer but definitely more precise in rendition.
Though not power hungry, these speaker do come alive if amps are capable of providing headroom.
No comment on Dali or Elac as I have not heard them.

Cheers,
Raghu

Excellent,thanks Raghu,I am definitely looking for something that's not overkill for my amp. And warmer than the polks. Great,thank you.

Might be a silly question.
Is it good to use active/monitor speaker for surround in HTS

Like klipsch R15-M. Or Audio engine+?

I don't have much idea , so looking for your advice

I have seen power supply plug at the back side of R15 , so it require power to ON?

Other Boomshelf also require power or just attach cable with AVR works?

Sent from my Mi 4i using Tapatalk

active monitors are designed to work best at short range. They can fill the room with volume. I own Neumann KH120. To me, it is best within 2m range. The reason might be the tweeters could be toned down a bit so that they can be listened at short range. Many monitors have high input tolerance rate. It is always good idea to know the specs before you buy.

I am.a newbie, so looking for option , currently in hong Kong and bookshelf speaker are cheap here as compare to India market R15m is around 19k so looking for advice can I use in HTS ?
BA A-25 also around 9k

Pls suggest some other speaker for surround

Sent from my Mi 4i using Tapatalk

Aksar,please start another thread if u want to go way off topic.

This thread is for helping me and others chose a speaker and getting some review and feedback for the bookshelves I've mentioned.

Back on topic,these three speakers are in the same price range give or take a thousand or two. The finish of the Dali and the Kef is really good, the elacs though mind blowing in sound, look like local Ahuja speakers lol

@celester340 - You really need to listen them yourself.

But my thinking is the KEFs would be more expensive for what they deliver when compared to the others. I've not heard them, but the minimum you should be looking at is Q300 or Q500. The Q100 might be too much price for too little performance.

The Elac B6 is what I'd go with.

I like Dali, excellent midrange and very sweet in vocals, but I find them lacking in other areas. That's just my personal observation and others may (obviously) differ in their perception of Dali.

That pretty much leaves the Elac's with an open field IMHO.

Great thanks for all the inputs, I have heard the dali, and I have a subwoofer to help the dali where it lacks, I guess which is the lows.

I'm going to have a listen to the kefs q100 soon.

The kef q300 and 500 are waaaaay over the budget.

Like I said, these three speakers are in the same budget.

Thanks. Going to keep all this in mind.

Great thanks for all the inputs, I have heard the dali, and I have a subwoofer to help the dali where it lacks, I guess which is the lows.

Great. Do let us know what you felt about the KEFs. Also, have you checked this article: The Best Bookshelf Speakers for Most Stereos | The Wirecutter

MaSh

First, KEF: no idea at all. So cannot comment.

Out of Z3 and B6, considering your usage, I would tilt towards the Z3. Why if you ask. The brilliance of B6 lies in its low end. Hence, if you had a Stereo Amp pumping out round about 70w plus at 6ohms, no sub woofer and usage would be primarily Music, then B6 would be an excellent choice. However, what you have is an AVR and a massive Sub for company. You would be crossing over the speakers at 80hz sending the low end to the Sub. Hence, what you need is good Mid and Highs where I feel the Z3 better the B6.

Try listening to both with your AVR and take a call.

Just to add, I do the night watchman shift. Music plays all night. With my marantz at -50db and B6 running full range(Sub is basically out of the picture at this low volume) the sound is just fantastic. The bass is crisp and the vocals crystal clear. Infact I have begun enjoying music more at this volume than at higher volumes. However at the same time, -50db is just not possible during the day time due to ambient noises.

So again, listen to both keeping in mind your usage and pick the better one.

BTW, I am hoping Zelda invites me one day to his place and allows me to listen to the Z3 and B6 side by side :eek:hyeah:

MaSh

hey Mash,

Anyone is welcome for a audition ..:)

KEFs are good. Excellent detail and dynamics, and they keep pace with every genre of music.

You'll not go wrong with them.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back